31 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

So I had an idea;

We've had it made quite clear that PCTA isn't fully embracing our forums as theirs, I still think they can, and should, but oh well.

Right now, what's the draw to join up?

Not a whole lot. Even random Australia related chatter has slowed down (something AUSTECH has on us in spades!)

So I got to thinking, 'what can we offer?' and really, what we can offer, is a smaller community of extensive knowledge.

How about a 'Members Projects' section?

Now, I'm not usually one who thinks a 'new sub forum' will help, its breaking apart an already thin forum; but hear me out.

What's our server space like? Does it have enough room to host significant photos?

If so, one sure fire way to at least have people become aware of our existance is to link people back to the forum.

Basically, I envision things like "Here is my arcade cabinet I'm building, this is a teaser picture, link and discussion below" then its hosted on Atomic.

Sure, it wont be a magic cure all, but as someone (I think Fliptopia?) said, we're born out of the Beige Box computing era, when case mods were 'cool' people came here to see lights, cut windows, and overclocking.

Now that that has become more mainstream, its no reason not to keep trying.

We all do some pretty fun stuff in our spare time.

I remember ZEBRA's storage discussion, as a great example.

The old DVD writer tests too. That was full on.

Right now we have g__day building a bloody ASTRONOMY room!!! probably pretty normal for the astro-nerds, but for me, the typical IT\car nerd? Thats out there! and damn cool!

I mean, we have (sorry ive forgotten, was it CyberGlitch?) doing oldschool youtube game streaming and mods.

Why not list "your official forum" here for discussion?

Hulkster built a legit Man Cave recently, that was neat!

and Dasa, I have no idea what he does, but every time someone posts a 'Build' thread, he shows up, shits on everyones ideas, eats them, poops out perfection, and dissapears into the night again. I'm sure he can contribute something to this idea.

I'm not an idiot, I know its a long shot, and I dont expect the community to thrive overnight.

I like to keep my fingers crossed, I'm always Mr Positive in situations like this, and if we all were a little more public, and put the effort into 'logging' our 'tech fun time' we could really have it going on!

Obviously, our GODs would need to be OK with things like youtube chanels calling this their spiritual home, and we'd have to abide by our (pretty lax really) rules, but its a shame to see such knowledge going to waste.

Anyone care to expand? Agree? Disagree? I still love my little world here, and the oldies that remain are priceless people in my lives and probably some of the first people I ever called 'friend' but it'd be a nice bonus to see some new life injected.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

Maybe some youtubes on selecting parts to build a PC ,could be an idea.

Or even Youtubes updates on articles and parts reviewed in PCTA Mag.

Even building a PC ,setting up a SSD ,M.2 and such. Maximising SSD's usage in Windows and what to do if something stops working.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

I was more refering to the fact that we have a few youtubers as members, but sure, with permission some tech guides could be rather cool to make as a community.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hulkster built a legit Man Cave recently, that was neat!

and Dasa, I have no idea what he does, but every time someone posts a 'Build' thread, he shows up, shits on everyones ideas, eats them, poops out perfection, and dissapears into the night again. I'm sure he can contribute something to this idea.

I'd be into this.

I'll be decking out a whole man-house in the coming months.

NBN fibre going in shortly, got a network cabinet and 48-port GigE switch ready to install, going out to buy a pinball machine later in the year, and got the opportunity to completely re-build and integrate my retro gaming consoles+computers station from the ground up.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

It was you Squall wasnt it, not Cyber, who was doing the oldschool youtube shows. Sorry about that!

yay! another onbaord.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 June 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yep, though I've taken a bit of a siesta from it while I get this divorce bizzo sorted.
四時半を待っています!

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

the limited feels that I have go out to you my friend

#8 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

I support and/or endorse this product.

If you make some vids, let me know - I'll post them on the front page (you know, that things everyone ignores :P).

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#9 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

I support and/or endorse this product.

If you make some vids, let me know - I'll post them on the front page (you know, that things everyone ignores :P).

What Front Page? Why not a separate area for Youtubes.

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

the limited feels that I have go out to you my friend

Cheers brah :)

四時半を待っています!

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

And now I feel like an idiot;

Just last night I spent tearing down one of those new 50Wx4 mini amps so I could apply GOOD thermal paste (as a few reviews report overheating), and I took 0 pictures.....

Gotta keep in the mindset; "if its normal for me, doesnt mean it is for everyone".

#12 DontWorry

DontWorry

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm guessing things like this aren't conductive to making new users feel good about joining up.

Edited by DontWorry, 23 June 2015 - 05:23 PM.

Don't worry, I'll be gone soon.
Can't have people causing dissidence.

Just treat everyone like mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them shit.

#13 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

I'm guessing things like this aren't conductive to making new users feel good about joining up.

I don't know what the original post said, but I imagine that if an admin isn't too keen on the content you create you wouldn't last long anyway.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

Take the advice of your name and Dont Worry :)

It's the internet, and that comment wasnt even made on the Atomic forums, it was some comment section of Disqus.

David Hollingworth has always been a very fair and reasonable man, with hot buttons relating to said fairness and reasonable adult behavior.

Sure, he's had some crude comments in the past, but never overstepped the mark around here.

In fact, unlike a lot of other sites mods he's willing to be reasoned with, not just wave the I AM GOD flag.

Even if it was wrong (and maybe he was), he's only human, and maybe it was a shit day?

Besides DontWorry, don't worry, No adult would take one instance from one person and base an entire community on it;

thats kinda how racism, sexism, and 99% of all bad stereotyping starts.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 23 June 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

Do you see David doing many posts in the moderating vein on the forums?

Yeah, that'd make me feel pretty upset too.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#16 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

I don't know what the original post said, but I imagine that if an admin isn't too keen on the content you create you wouldn't last long anyway.

Normally i agree with Hawkeye but that was a bit of dick move.

Funny but still dickish, deleting the comment would have been more appropriate and then banhammering the user if there was any further issues.

Anyone know what the original comment actually was?

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

I agree Xen, but we know Hawkeye has his own shit to deal with.

AND we know he's hot buttoned for equality.

So I can see a combination of a bad day, a hot button, and him being used to the 'family' nature of these forums (where we'd probably find it funny), getting him bitten once or twice.

We're all only human, people. The internet is a bitch for not letting things go.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 24 June 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#18 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

So this was a thing?

It was a thing. 

And Code, what kind of extra area do you mean? Putting it on the front page would give you more exposure, rather than hiding you away.

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

So this was a thing?

It was a thing. 

And Code, what kind of extra area do you mean? Putting it on the front page would give you more exposure, rather than hiding you away.

Like a Topic area like a Green Room.

#20 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Um, I guess... If that's what you'd rather. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users