• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Anyone have any tips on how to diagnose a completely unceremonious program crash in Windows 8.1? I've been trying to find Dr.Watson Logs, but I can't find them (I've only been on 8.1 for about a week).

Ideally what I think I might need is some detailed log of what the program accesses, or attempts to access in it's very short runtime. Including registry keys and system files.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,799 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

If it's commercial software or something in common use then just doing some web searches will in most cases reveal others with the same problem, and a fix if you're lucky.

You could try playing about with compatability settings for earlier Win versions, sometimes helps.

#3 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

There's no way I'd get tech support for software this old. It's a photo editing suite I had on Win98. It worked fine on XP and worked on Win7 under compatibility mode with a little tweaking. But on Win 8.1, compatibility mode isn't cutting it. I'm hoping to be able to track down what is throwing it off so I can try and fix it.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,799 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:56 PM

You never know... plenty of people hang onto ancient software that they know and trust.

#5 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

No good, unfortunately. There's no legit links for anything to do with this software, let alone how to get it to run on Windows 8.1, and even if there were, it mightn't do me any good as my situation with the software is kindof unique.

I really need help tracking the problem myself. Something in windows must keep a record of crash details and bogus requests software makes for it's resources. I need to look at those logs.

Edit: Okay, I fixed it. Turns out I just forgot that installing in a new directory path means I have to altar a bunch of settings in one of the program's .ini config files. I guess I was just being an impatient prat. Sorry to bother you guys.

On a related note, though, does anyone know if the Win8.1 search function (at the top of a folder window) searches just for file names, or if it also searches for files containing the search text, and if not, how do you search for files that contain a certain phrase?

Edited by Camsie, 02 July 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

Nothing relevant in event viewer?

Otherwise it's time to dump the programme for something a bit newer me thinks.

Otherwise it's the VM route. This is what I do for an old programme that has no modern equivalent. VMWare Player running XP.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#7 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the input, but I got it sorted.

An XP simulator might be on the cards when I upgrade to 10, though I hope not.

New software is really my last option. Typically those things cost a mint and I'm not exactly Gina Rhineheart. I get the impression that Photoshop is really the major player in the field these days and I think you can't actually own a copy of that anymore? You have to pretty much have to pay rent to Adobe forever? I don't like that for so many reasons.

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,799 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

Gimp is free though not the most user-friendly experience but can do pretty much any standard task that Photoshop can.

Plenty of other free or low cost image manipulation alternatives around as well.

#9 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

I get the impression that Photoshop is really the major player in the field these days and I think you can't actually own a copy of that anymore? You have to pretty much have to pay rent to Adobe forever? I don't like that for so many reasons.

Ye Adobe products are now subscription based so you pay a monthly or annual fee for it to keep working.

Gimp is free though not the most user-friendly experience but can do pretty much any standard task that Photoshop can.

I gave up using it because it was far above my needs but my Brother in Law swears by it for image editing and he does some pretty high end stuff now (think retired man with a photography obsession. You know the sort).

Gimp is actually a really powerful editing programme and frankly the little amount I did with it I found it no worse than any other high end photo editing programme. They are all very complex to use. My local community newspaper is using Adobe Indesign and one look at the Indesign screen was enough for me to run for the hills.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,059 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the software you were trying to/did get working, and what did you need it to do?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#11 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Wow! Sorry I've taken so long to answer this. I must've missed the extra post. :(

In answer to your question, the software is Corel Photopaint v7. The problem was one I've struck before when migrating to new computers - but that's something I do so infrequently, I typically forget everything I've had to do in the past to make it work.

Anyway, my problem was that within the program folder is a config file that specifies the location of all the various program elements. The PC that I was copying this program from is a desktop with both an SSD and 2 HDDs - most of my programs goes on one of the HDDs, to spare the SSD from overuse. So on my desktop, Corel exists on the G: drive.

But my laptop has only one drive. Hence the problem - I'd forgotten to modify the config file to tell Corel that all it's components were now on the C: drive.

And the great news is that my Corel also works perfectly on Windows 10!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users