3 replies to this topic

#1 knight_rider1

knight_rider1

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hi All!

I want to learn to code Android Apps. I have no experience (aside from some BASIC coding back in school), but I have plenty of motivation. 

I've found thenewboston website and the video tutorials looks really good, but they assume some coding knowledge which I need to get before proceding.

So, should I learn some C or JAVA first?

Or feel free to tell me otherwise.

I'd really like a plan of attack for the process of learning all this, as it's rather over whelming for a noob when presented with so much information and slightly differing opinions on what to learn first.

Thanks in advance.

Donald.

#2 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

You can't really write an Android app in C, so Java it is! It's not the only option, but most examples will be in Java.

I learnt Java by following the Stanford course here:
https://itunes.apple...384232896?mt=10

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#3 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

You could also develop in html/css phonegap/cordova, or xamarin.  you're not limited to java.

and you get the added benefit of multi-platform.

#4 ArchangelOfTheLamb

ArchangelOfTheLamb

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

If you Google it, you'll find plenty of tutorials and tools online. Even though there are tools around which will allow you to develop apps without knowing Java, I don't see how you can seriously get into software development if you can't understand the source code. If you can't be bothered to learn a whole new programming language, at least learn about the concept of object-oriented programming.

If you seriously want to get into it, have a look at the Android SDK (which is available for download from Google). You'll need a lot of this stuff anyway if you want to load and test certain apps and get into the more serious side of phone programming.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

"These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." Revelation 22:6

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:12-14

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." Revelation 22:16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users