• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Ok today i bought a Microsoft Nokia Lumia 640 XL ,now just need to find a plan.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#22 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

Ok today i bought a Microsoft Nokia Lumia 640 XL ,now just need to find a plan.

https://www.amaysim....m:text_cta_name
$30/month, unlimited SMS, 2gb data, optus 4g network, and they've been around for a bit :)

Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#23 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

And very late to the party.

Check out your ISP.  Many ISP's offer mobile phone packages now.  Quite often you can bundle it with your existing internet connection.

You can get some good deals if you call up and do what I did.  I got my wife and I mobile phone sims.  We had out internet.  We had phones on our plan.

We got Fetch TV effectively thrown in for free.  (Box and all)

So..  Call your ISP and ASK!

AD

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#24 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

And very late to the party.

Check out your ISP.  Many ISP's offer mobile phone packages now.  Quite often you can bundle it with your existing internet connection.

You can get some good deals if you call up and do what I did.  I got my wife and I mobile phone sims.  We had out internet.  We had phones on our plan.

We got Fetch TV effectively thrown in for free.  (Box and all)

So..  Call your ISP and ASK!

AD

Sorry for the late reply.

Got a Mobile phone a Microsoft Nokia Lumia 640 XL LTE . Used it once to set up for Mobile phone access to Facebook with the app.

Apart from that it sits in my cupboard turned off. No idea what to do with it.

Having no Friends and Family probably why its no use to me.

#25 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

What do you do on facebook if you have no friends and no family?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#26 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

I read news articles and catch up with technology news. No Friends meaning close friends ,i have some old School friends but they live all over Australia.

Also like reading the pages on Games i play. Apart from that not much. I know i am boring.

#27 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

That sounds like the kind of thing that you might like to do while not sitting behind a computer desk. With your 3g enabled tablet.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#28 fabman_uk

fabman_uk

Charge

• Atomican
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

There are certain expectations of the majority of people who play games to have certain tech.

- Console manufacturers really want to see the download only system of gaming, but so many people don't have internet connections good enough, then they get huge day one patches anyway.

- Games require fast internet or you are kicked, it isn't good enough to have an internet connection it must meet a certain speed.

- Online companies expect you to have an e-mail account, though many articles now point out how old e-mail technology is and how many people hate it. What is the alternative for companies contacting you? Printed mail? No thanks, I have enough junk mail and the enviroment can do without it.

- Mobile phones are now expected to be owned by people. Deaf people with good eyesight can allow users to use SMS, MMS, surf websites, e-mail and more.

#29 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

There are certain expectations of the majority of people who play games to have certain tech.

- Console manufacturers really want to see the download only system of gaming, but so many people don't have internet connections good enough, then they get huge day one patches anyway.
- Games require fast internet or you are kicked, it isn't good enough to have an internet connection it must meet a certain speed.
- Online companies expect you to have an e-mail account, though many articles now point out how old e-mail technology is and how many people hate it. What is the alternative for companies contacting you? Printed mail? No thanks, I have enough junk mail and the enviroment can do without it.
- Mobile phones are now expected to be owned by people. Deaf people with good eyesight can allow users to use SMS, MMS, surf websites, e-mail and more.

And WHY should we put up with this? It seems like because most stuff comes out of the states and because internet over there is faster, cheaper and with much higher download availability, that is what they expect here. And we just have to take it. Even though over here we have completely different requirements and availability. And to top things off - we pay extra for the privilege!

Apple have just made their music app basically streaming friendly and completely unfriendly for anyone who wants to listen to all their music offline. We are forced to download patches while our d/l is capped. Forcing updates whether you have the capability or not. Forcing high definition streaming when you don't have the bandwidth. Why haven't Australian tech journos made more noise? Why isn't everyone screaming about the crap we keep having a to put up with. And those that are making noise, is anyone going to listen? Why would they? Australia is a tiny market compared to the USA. So we continue to get shit on. And we will because what can we do - right?

Gah.

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 18 October 2015 - 06:42 PM.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#30 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:59 AM

Broadband in the US is pretty terrible.

Just want to point that out, while we all think about why American companies don't take pity on our internet, when their isn't actually much better as a statistical whole.

#31 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

Just want to point that out, while we all think about why American companies don't take pity on our internet, when their isn't actually much better as a statistical whole.

Then why? Is it just engineers with their heads up their arses who will have high speed internet because they are well paid geeks who live in metro areas? Executives who also have collective heads up collective arses making design decisions? If people are struggling with this why force it on the consumer? Or do the wealthy/metro few outweigh the poor many with their spending power?

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#32 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

I think it comes down too "if you are not with it, then you are not with it."

Meaning either keep up with technology advances or lose it. As i found out with not having a Mobile Phone.

My PC is over 6 years old maybe more got it just after Windows 7 came out ,has an old q6600 in it with a DDR2 mobo with GTX260.

Being 54 years of Age i see gaming now drifting away from me ,still love the Guild Wars games.

To keep up with technology i have to spend over $3000 just to keep up with the pace ,or buy a cheap lappy for Guild Wars.

Technology is out pacing itself where we lose control of it. Do we really need all the Bells and Whistles in gaming or anything in regards to new Technology.

Even Mags like PCTA are turning extinct ,when the annual turnover in sales is getting lower each year.

Technology is out pacing itself now we need a break so we can catch up.

#33 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

It's not a matter of keeping up with tech in this case.  We don't have the infrastructure to DO that.  It's simply not available in all (or even MANY) areas.  Parts of most capitol cities.  Areas of major metro regions.  I live in Sydney and can't get enough broadband to stream HD.  My sister lives in Qld and can't get enough download at a cost that isn't ridiculous to do large patches and updates.  My mum is in north coast NSW and only got broadband last year.  And ADSL only (not even ADSL 2).  She couldn't even get mobile broadband because reception is so very bad.  I've got rellies just outside of Canberra who can't get decent mobile coverage and again, have only had broadband for the last couple of years (and slow broadband at that - no fibre for kms!).  NBN was supposed to solve all our woes.  But we still have years before that's completely implemented (if it's ever finished) and I will bet that it doesn't actually help everyone.

It's getting better - I've got to admit.  Slowly, it's improving.  But it's still not keeping pace.  And until it does, the pain will continue.

Nich has said that decent internet isn't even universal in the states as it has some of the same issues we do here in geography (although population dispersal is very different).  So WHY are consumers continuing to not kick up a fuss?

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#34 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

Where i live in Adelaide i have ADSL+2 access ,plus i know their is a good wifi in the area. Being close to the O-Bahn and near a Council library i can get access to free bandwith if i need it.

Problem is i think the NBN has borked internet speeds for everyone in Australia. Even on NBN the speeds are unreliable ,in our area we have part NBN and part normal internet. At nights my speeds fluctuate really bad ,during the day i get 13mb/s at night it goes down to 9mb/s ,our exchange evens the bandwith between NBN and normal copper network.

Problem is we are kicking up a fuss ,but no one listens. We should have a strike on technology and refuse to use anything connected to the Internet ,that will make companies and politicians listen. Think about it ,no emails,webpage updates ,streaming data, even phone calls via Voip.

#35 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

Where i live in Adelaide i have ADSL+2 access ,plus i know their is a good wifi in the area. Being close to the O-Bahn and near a Council library i can get access to free bandwith if i need it.

Problem is i think the NBN has borked internet speeds for everyone in Australia. Even on NBN the speeds are unreliable ,in our area we have part NBN and part normal internet. At nights my speeds fluctuate really bad ,during the day i get 13mb/s at night it goes down to 9mb/s ,our exchange evens the bandwith between NBN and normal copper network.

Problem is we are kicking up a fuss ,but no one listens. We should have a strike on technology and refuse to use anything connected to the Internet ,that will make companies and politicians listen. Think about it ,no emails,webpage updates ,streaming data, even phone calls via Voip.

Yep, we have very similar problems here.  I'm supposedly on ADSL 2, however at best I'm getting about 2mb/s (the exchange seems to be totally congested and we also seem to be at the end of a LONG copper run).  And during peak time that drops to the point where streaming video for foxtel even becomes a problem.  After 6pm until about 11pm on weeknights is appalling.  

Maybe we need to have a "day" where we all disconnect for 24 hours (like earth day) as a protest.  However business would fall apart without internet.  Consumers... could we actually stop Millennials checking their facebook?  I doubt it.  And would it help?  Stuffed if I know. :(

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#36 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Then why? Is it just engineers with their heads up their arses who will have high speed internet because they are well paid geeks who live in metro areas? Executives who also have collective heads up collective arses making design decisions? If people are struggling with this why force it on the consumer? Or do the wealthy/metro few outweigh the poor many with their spending power?

Not even metro areas are immune to shitty connections.

I doubt you'll find anyone who intentionally makes decisions to screw people with slower connections. I don't know what the deal is with Apple (I don't use iTunes etc.) but if they're artificially limiting people to using the latest update, I dare say that they don't realise how much of an impact that it has on people with slow/capped connections. I wouldn't be surprised if their performance testing suite didn't factor in binary downloads. Again, I don't know much about Apple except that they take NPS metrics very seriously. I'm not sure if they have feedback forms on iTunes, but it's worth a shot if they do.

It could also be that the problem isn't really that great relative to other issues. Most people have subpar but still serviceable connections. High quota and unlimited plans are commonplace now, so shaping probably isn't even considered for online services. No PM is going to throw out their release timeline to make background downloading of updates faster. There are usually bigger and more critical issues to tackle first. They don't hate you, there's simply more customers with other show stopping issues. When slow connections become their bottleneck they'll invest more resources into improving it. Otherwise, find a company who does factor this in.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#37 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

Look at where most IT startups are.  They have pretty good net access.  Their pushing of the market is making it better for the rest of us, just not as quickly as any of us would like.

Also, it's better profits for games publishers, because more efficient distribution chains, and harder to share/lend to friends.

The alternative is to yell at kids stepping on your lawn, because it's making your dialup drop back to 33.6k, and damn that daylight savings, because gorramit, there's still sun shining and ruining the lovely 16 colour rendering your graphics card is outputting.

At the end of the day, Diablo 3 was instructional: people who aren't able to online game even for single player will make some noise, but most other people don't care because it's not an issue they forsee affecting them.

#38 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

But... those kids... it's my damn lawn!!

High quota and unlimited plans are not commonplace except in metro. And they are still pricey. Better, I admit, but still more expensive than they should be. And in regional? Forget it. As for an alternative company? What happens when there isn't one?

And yes, Diablo 3 was instructional. I still haven't played it to this day even though I adored the first 2. But I'm one of the few I think. People won't boycott. They won't make enough noise that companies take note because they don't want to miss out on the new toy. Or it certainly seems that way. So they perpetuate the problem.

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 20 October 2015 - 07:42 PM.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#39 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

Well Australia is a laid back society and that is why we are such a great culture.

But it also not only affects our online attitudes to things but also things around us.

If you complain it normally gets pushed aside and this is why so many give up on complaining about problems in anything. Because we all know the Internet in Aussie is crap ,where in US all States have their own internet setups so its more complex for them than us.

If i also remember in Diablo3 the Auction House was shut down as people where abusing it and making gaming more harder.

When i made a complaint about my Facebook account being suspended ,no one listened to me not even on Facebook. The amount of trouble i went to get my account re-opened was amazing it almost defines "logic" as an abnormality . Still today Facebook have no idea what triggered my account suspension. But i have my suspicions on how it happened.

The point is why complain when no one listens? We all know complaints are avoided with "oh yeah we have heard that before" attitude.

#40 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:18 AM

Better, I admit, but still more expensive than they should be.

What's pricey and how much do you think a high/unlimited quota high speed plan should cost?

For data points:

In Australia I'm paying something like 90/month for line rental plus 300gb (on/off peak) with iinet on rural ADSL2+. $30 prepaid to Telstra gives me about 1.5GB and 'lots' of minutes/texts.

In the US I've paid about $35 for unlimited VDSL(2?) at 2mbps down.  Phone - excluding repayments for then-new iphone - costs over $100/month for a few GB of data and unlimited minutes/texts.  Those are USD, so factor in 'omg cheap VDSL!' with 'wtf why am I getting paid half what I normally would?!'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users