• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,408 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Okay, so even with a decent comparison rate (let's go with double), landline based net is still cheaper in the states for UNLIMITED vs 300gB here and has slightly better speeds.

Mobile phone services are apparently cheaper here, but you get crappy amounts of data with both.

That's on a data point of one. :P

So how expensive should it be?  We could start by at least matching the states. :P

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#42 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

The reason why we pay high rates is most of the calculations for costs are done on US based figures. Secondly our copper lines may run for longer lengths in some areas. Thirdly our laws on the Internet usage still has been fully provided for in the Communications act.

When Dialup first appeared on Aussie Soil and every one was getting involved and the BBS scene was picking up ,telstra would only acknowledge 2.5kb/s for data. Then it was boosted recently to 12mbs/s and still that is not good enough because the copper cannot handle those speeds.

NBN really needs a larger work force to deploy it faster ,not deploy it in rich snobby area's first. We could have had the NBN built by now but RUDD and CONROY where against allowing the Chinese to build the NBN. Why ? Unions , secondly they used a piss poor excuse of spying. Now we have the FTA i wonder what will happen now.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#43 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

That price for VDSL was no phone line, but even with just a data datapoint... it was common to see phone cabling not even buried in trenches, but just under some dust.  literally, I saw poor condition lines everywhere. 

Our phone lines are bad but at least have maintenance spent on them.

Fixed broabdand speeds are fairly comparable for price and sometimes speed.  The major difference is data costs - the US doesn't have to pay to travel half way around the world to the US.  GL fixing that problem.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#44 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

One of my brothers worked for TMobile and he said that the Lines in US are so bad and complicated this is why so many in US are now turning to Wifi/wireless connections.

As for Data this is why ,when you send data from A to B you could be passing over 6-7 state borders each with its own carrier then you have to negotiate cost of using that carriers service. So its very complex. With Wireless/Wifi its not as bad ,yet.

#45 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

For the parts of the US I've visited/lived in, at least, most places are set up as monopolies for fixed line.  Alternatives to DSL are HFC/cable, satellite, or 'fixed' 3/4g.

Verizon were very big on trying to sell me an expensive 4g hotspot to get around no-one wanting to sell me a disaposable SIM for my iphone.

Code, I don't understand why data going through a mobile tower is going to not have the same backhaul network issues?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#46 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

If the copper wires in Australia have been proven to unstable and now workable as per NBN projects? Why are we still paying to to use it?

Wondering i still have to pay landline rental on a line that has been proven to be faulty by both sides of the parliament.

#47 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Define faulty.

#48 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

Define faulty.

This made me think a bit. Can you define normal and make it somewhere in the middle.

Ok think of a coin and flip it.

WoW that question mind boggled me.

#49 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

Is it faulty because it doesn't transmit data at x speed? In which case is x the USO or is it 100mbps?
Is it faulty because it doesn't transmit voice clearly?

Are you asking if you'll need to pay for a voice connection if you just want data?

#50 PhR33X

PhR33X

Champion

• Super Hero
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

Back to the requirement to have a mobile phone to receive SMS -

I live in a mobile black-spot. There is no mobile phone coverage here - not even with a now illegal signal booster. I can receive phone calls because I divert calls to my mobile to my landline, when my mobile is unreachable. But SMS? Not a chance. If I want to receive an SMS token for some online security thing, I have to jump in the car, drive about a kilometre up the road, wait for the service to kick in, receive the SMS then drive back home and get back onto the computer - hopefully before the token expires. 

First-world problems.

Truth, Justice and the Atomic way

#51 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

A modern day smartphone is a computer in your pocket.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

#52 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

Not really it cannot be used for gaming because of the high cost of data to use. Smartphone's seem to hit a wall in most apps ,with user payments and privacy. It still has a way to go before it replaces the humble PC.

#53 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

Not really it cannot be used for gaming because of the high cost of data to use. Smartphone's seem to hit a wall in most apps ,with user payments and privacy. It still has a way to go before it replaces the humble PC.

There are single-player games for phones, you know. Even ports of older PC games. Not to mention that 'computer' does NOT mean 'games machine'.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#54 PhR33X

PhR33X

Champion

• Super Hero
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

There are single-player games for phones, you know. Even ports of older PC games. Not to mention that 'computer' does NOT mean 'games machine'.

Smartphones do everything a computer can do, albeit to varying levels of quality due to screen-size, storage limitations, data connectivity or other constraints. This means the functionality is there but there may be tradeoffs or the experience may be different/restricted.

Can you name a function of a computer that can't be performed on a smartphone?

Can it send and receive email? Tick.

Can it browse the internet? Tick

Can it be used as an entertainment device? Tick

Can you print from it? Sure (with the right phone and printer)

Can it do word processing? Tick

Can it do photo editing? Tick

Can you install other operating systems? Tick (Well custom ROMS for android phones)

Can you install other programs/apps? Tick

Can you videoconference? Tick

Can you connect external devices and/or storage? Tick

Plus you can make calls, send SMS etc etc.

Truth, Justice and the Atomic way

#55 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

Can you name a function of a computer that can't be performed on a smartphone?

[list]

Can you do actual computation, like raytracing, SETI@home, or weather simulation? ;p

(The answer is of course "yes" - just not very fast, and nobody has been silly enough to write apps for that yet.)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#56 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

Not very fast compared to what computer from what era? : p

Gaming data from mobiles isn't particularly intensive, and whether it is or not, wifi.

#57 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:58 AM

I think the greater mass of the desktop computing populous would not be expecting a smartphone to replace a humble PC anytime soon

I think the technology is incredible. I have a computer, yes, a computer that fits in my pocket, it has a 1.2ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB of ram, 16GB harddrive and it does a heck of a lot more than what my old 486 could do

Here's what my pocket computer gets used for

Facebook

internet banking

emails

alarm clock

watch

notepad

camera

calculator

GPS navigator

and the list continues....

I do however, refuse to buy an ipad.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users