• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

I think ABC should be sold. I don't think everyone should be forced to pay for the entertainment of people who watch it. What do you think?

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

Yep and all the roads should be sold as why should I pay taxes for all those roads I don't use. Same for all the hospitals I don't use and every other government service or GBE I do not make use of.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#3 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

The tax payers ( me) own it . I don't want it sold.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#4 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yep and all the roads should be sold as why should I pay taxes for all those roads I don't use. Same for all the hospitals I don't use and every other government service or GBE I do not make use of.

I think roads should be a state/territory thing and funded with a tax on fuel. I don't think hospitals should be sold.

Why?

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

I think you should put more effort into your OP's.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#6 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

Why?

Because.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#7 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

I think you should put more effort into your OP's.

I think if you want me to say something you should ask me a question.

I also think you should not misuse apostrophes.

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

I think roads should be a state/territory thing and funded with a tax on fuel. I don't think hospitals should be sold.

Why? Why should I be forced to pay for roads I have and will never use?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Why? Why should I be forced to pay for roads I have and will never use?

Because someone needs to pay for them and is impractical to have every section of road a toll road.

Also: I think a tax on fuel is a pretty fair way of doing it. Generally speaking: the more you pay for fuel the more you use and create wear and tear on the roads.

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:13 PM

Why is it impractical?

Also lots of roads I drive on aren't well maintained vs roads that i drive on in capital cities (except Sydney because fuck Sydney).  Why should I be paying for your roads to be repaired rather than my roads?

Why should I have to pay for you to visit a hospital when I have no hospital even near me, let alone access to 24 hr medical support that is not a paramedic?

Also, what is this entertainment value you speak of from the ABC?  I consume ABC media because they have good coverage for a news service.  The news isn't entertainment.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

I think if you want me to say something you should ask me a question.

No. It's not the reader's responsibility to beat your explanation out with a series of "Why do you think ______?" questions.

Your entire posting history (including your time as fajw, DMB, and whatever other handles you've used) consists of "I think X. What do you think?". Zero effort.

Then when people DO respond, you make equally weak efforts to engage in discussion. "I think people should be free to X. I think people shouldn't be forced to Y. Of course, notwithstanding that the state should always be an unquestioning enforcer for my violent, petty, spiteful, imaginary sky-wizard friend."

So do I want you to say something? Yes. Tell me that you are not a person that has previously posted on these forums under other names and been banned.

I also think you should not misuse apostrophes.

I think it's acceptable to use them when pluralising an abbreviation, or at the very least a grey area in which I made a stylistic choice.
四時半を待っています!

#12 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

Why is it impractical?

Also lots of roads I drive on aren't well maintained vs roads that i drive on in capital cities (except Sydney because fuck Sydney).  Why should I be paying for your roads to be repaired rather than my roads?

Why should I have to pay for you to visit a hospital when I have no hospital even near me, let alone access to 24 hr medical support that is not a paramedic?

Also, what is this entertainment value you speak of from the ABC?  I consume ABC media because they have good coverage for a news service.  The news isn't entertainment.

Can you really not see why it is impractical to have every section of road a toll road?

If you have a better idea let's hear it.

ABC entertainment includes Doctor Who, New Tricks, etc. I could go on but what's the point? Seek and you will find. I know ABC doesn't solely broadcast entertainment. For me the same principal applies to news and current affairs.

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

I don't see why it's impractical.

Why should I pay for something you use if you won't pay for something someone else uses?

#14 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

The implementation cost and the running cost and the maintenance cost of having toll roads everywhere would be huge. I don't understand why you have a problem with paying for roads with a tax on fuel.

I don't know what you mean by your second paragraph.

Edited by NZT48, 22 September 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#15 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

I don't know what you mean by your second paragraph.

No. Of course you don't.
四時半を待っています!

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,738 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

If you have a better idea let's hear it.

OK, I suggest we keep taxes nice and high.

That way, when a fellow human being cant afford Pay TV or decent internet, they can watch Dr Who and enjoy up to date news.

They can also get a free education.

They can also use health care without worrying if their life is worth their money.

Hell, maybe we can give Centrelink users a decent ammount (just with harsher rules, or work for the dole required).

Countries with the highest taxes USUALLY (not always, usually) have a better overall quality of life.

And Australia is pretty good.

I could end up jobless, homeless, with 2 broken legs and no recent education.

The country will give me a some money each week to survive, a house, take me to hospital with no bill, and give me free TAFE if I'm not recently enough qualified.

Actually, i'll bite, I'll ask a question or two of you:

Why do you think something needs to change when you don't like it?

Why do you think ABC is not a good network? (i for one think their radio stations are priceless)

And finally; If I was doing it rough, no internet, no phone, no pay TV, where do you suggest a true 'aussie battler' get their daily news and entertainment from if not good TV stations?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#17 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

I believe charity is better than social security.

How do you measure quality of life?

I did not say and I do not "think ABC is not a good network".

We can have "good TV stations" that are commercial.

Television entertainment is far from being a necessity.

Why should everyone be forced to pay for someone who does something stupid and breaks their arm?

Edited by NZT48, 22 September 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,738 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

I believe charity is better than social security.

So How much have you donated this year?

How do you measure quality of life?

It's usually done on a sensis style poll of the population.

http://www.movehub.c...-life-world-map

I did not say and I do not "think ABC is not a good network".

Then why shouldn't people pay to support something that's good?

We can have "good TV stations" that are commercial.

How? You end up with advertisements, suddenly making them NOT a good tv station anymore. "Oh, lets watch a movie.... in 10 minute blocks... NOPE!"

Television entertainment is far from being a necessity.

SOME form of entertainment IS a necessity, even prisoners get some, to stave off insanity.

If you live alone, with a job you dont like, with no money to go out, but you picked up a $30 TV at cashies, I think you deserve some unwind time like everyone else.

Why should everyone be forced to pay for someone who does something stupid and breaks their arm?

Because thats what being a good country means. It means the people contribute for the good of the people, and the good of the country.

If you dont like the decisions the countries leaders are making, you're actually quite free to fuck right off to another land mass.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#19 NZT48

NZT48

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

I don't keep track of how much money I donate. Why does it matter?

I am not saying people shouldn't pay to support something that's good. I am saying people should not be forced to pay for it. Its goodness is subjective, as is the goodness of commercial stations. I think if people didn't think the commercial stations they watch are good they wouldn't watch them.

You can have entertainment without ABC.

People can contribute without the government forcing them to. I think people are more likely to spend their own money well compared to someone spending someone else's money.

If I don't like the decisions the country's leaders are making I am actually quite free to participate in discussions about them and try to change the country's governance.

#20 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

ABC is run by the UNIONS for Labor Party. Its not neutral anymore and never will be until the government has balls to shut it down. Even the Entertainment side is now all Australian drama ,again the Actors Union. Even the BBC stuff we see is now repeats except Dr Who.

AS far as money goes and charity the ABC will be needing charity soon just to keep operating. Now Brandis has been freed from copyright duties he can work on the media circles now.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users