• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wonder duck

wonder duck

Initiate

• Quark
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Just put together a new machine with a 1TB drive with Win10 how can i rig up the old drive from current machine (win XP) into new machine so i can access all my old stuff (games, photos, music, vids) without having to save it all to an external drive and then reload it later

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,984 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:28 PM

Should be able to just plug it in, and access it as a second drive. May need to select Win10 as a boot option if offered a choice.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,606 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

If you don't have the means to use it externally via eSATA or USB3 and the data you want to grab is more than 10 Gig or so then it's probably worth just pulling the drive and putting into the new machine.

Alternate to that is if you can do a cabled Gigabit LAN network interface between the 2 computers it can be almost as good, albeit a bunch of stuffing around setting up file sharing etc - or if you have decent Wifi ie 802.11n or newer then it might be worth a shot too.

But if you have an external drive that uses USB3 and both computers have USB3 then it might end up being the quickest way even though it's copying from A->B then to C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users