• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

On Windows 10, how do I configure my computer so that it retains a static IP address for certain Wifi networks it logs on to, but will automatically allow the network to dictate it's IP settings whenever I log on to other networks I use, or new, unfamiliar networks (e.g. public wifi locations)?

e.g. Say I have my home network set up so that my laptop is always 192.168.2.3 there, but then I want to go out and use my laptop somewhere that doesn't conform to the 192.168.2.* range and wants to assign it's own designated IP address to my laptop.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,396 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:53 AM

Not sure Windows has such a facility by default or if in fact it can be done.  Though it does sound like a legitamate need.

The nature of DHCP is that the guest leaves it up to the host to assign the IP address.

Just had a look in my modem/router control panel and it seems that you can reserve IP addresses based on Mac address of connecting guests, so it might be the case that it has to be done at the physical device that assigns IPs.

Handy... I generally use FTP when transferring stuff too/from mobile or tablet and it's annoying when the IP changes.

ed - digging a little deeper, it looks like Win 8 allows unique profiles for different networks so maybe it can be done.

Edited by Rybags, 27 October 2015 - 01:21 AM.

#3 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:25 AM

Not sure Windows has such a facility by default or if in fact it can be done.  Though it does sound like a legitamate need.

The nature of DHCP is that the guest leaves it up to the host to assign the IP address.

Just had a look in my modem/router control panel and it seems that you can reserve IP addresses based on Mac address of connecting guests, so it might be the case that it has to be done at the physical device that assigns IPs.

Handy... I generally use FTP when transferring stuff too/from mobile or tablet and it's annoying when the IP changes.

ed - digging a little deeper, it looks like Win 8 allows unique profiles for different networks so maybe it can be done.

If microsoft had the presence of mind to see that such a system would be useful when they made Win8, it wouldn't make sense that they'd remove this ability when they made Win10. (That being said, it wouldn't be the first time microsoft did something that didn't make any sense whatsoever).

#4 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Yep on Windows you set the static IP on the network adaptor itself and AFAIK it has always been this way.

No idea on other OSs.

There is some third party software out there (often comes pre-installed on notebooks) that allows for "1 click" network profile changing including IP address and proxy settings.

A better way to do it on networks you regularly use and have full access too is to set an address reservation in the router based on device MAC address.

EG on my Fritz!Box

Configuring assignment of fixed IP addresses for network device

1. Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
  2. Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
  3. Click the edit button 2.png for the network device you wish to configure.
  4. Enable the option "Always assign this network device the same IPv4 address.".
  5. Click "Apply" to save your settings.

Edited by aliali, 27 October 2015 - 04:32 PM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#5 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

Yep on Windows you set the static IP on the network adaptor itself and AFAIK it has always been this way.

No idea on other OSs.

There is some third party software out there (often comes pre-installed on notebooks) that allows for "1 click" network profile changing including IP address and proxy settings.

A better way to do it on networks you regularly use and have full access too is to set an address reservation in the router based on device MAC address.

EG on my Fritz!Box

Configuring assignment of fixed IP addresses for network device

1. Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
  2. Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
  3. Click the edit button 2.png for the network device you wish to configure.
  4. Enable the option "Always assign this network device the same IPv4 address.".
  5. Click "Apply" to save your settings.

Darn. >:(

As far as I can tell, my router doesn't have that capability, either.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

Darn. >:(

As far as I can tell, my router doesn't have that capability, either.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Make and model of router(s)?

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wifi, static ip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users