Photo

Display ports and other monitor questions.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

As alluded to in the greenroom I'm kinda/sorta/maybe looking at a 27" monitor.  I have noticed the connection options seem to be shrinking, Dell has a nice one U2715H but only has HDMI and display ports, no DVI/RGB etc.  Is that where it's all headed?  My GPU is a GTX 570 with 2 DVI's and one HDMI (the HDMI port seems to be there just for show as I've never been able to get it to work on a second monitor).  I've also read that if I get a 27" monitor with a higher res, say 2560x1440 then I'd have to use both of my GPU's DVI ports?

The 'plan' is to run a 27" as the main display and a 24" as a secondary.  So what would be the best way to hook them both up?  Do I need to replace the GPU too?  Will be browsing/gaming on the 27"  currently have a Dell U2410, 16:10 60hz

You can see how long since I bought the last monitor.

(Also I do not need sound at the monitor)

Cheers

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,284 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

DVI is heading out since HDMI supplies the same functionality and more in less space and providing much more connectivity options (TV, receiver etc.)

You could use a DVI->HDMI adaptor if you don't have enough ports, some cards will output audio on DVI though the specification didn't originally cater for it - though a potential problem might just be how much bandwidth the card can squeeze through the port, there are upper limits for resolution/refresh @ that rez for DVI and HDMI dependant on what version it is.

Likewise though, I've never bothered with sound @ the monitor on PCs despite having the capabilty on most of the LCDs I have (older ones via 3.5mm).  For a desk drone it might be way to go but a pair of $15 externals would likely give superior audio.

As to whether the card will cope with games at that resolution I should think it all depends on demands of the game and how much detail you're willing to sacrifice.  If it was me I'd just try everything first and look to upgrade the card if it fell too short of expectations.

#3 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

Cheers, yeah I don't need sound at the monitor so that's not an issue.  Might end up waiting until next year when the new Nvidia chips come out and pick up GTTX980 at a decent price then look at a better monitor then.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

I have a similar setup: 27" primary (1440p), 24" secondary (1200p), both connected via DVI. 27" uses a newer DVI cable capable of... whatever it does to shove more bandwidth down the cable. Dual-link DVI? It's not actually using two physical DVI ports.

Newer HDMI standards support the same thing.

Happy with my GTX970 on it, but before a few months ago I spent the last 3 years running it off a HD4770, and then later a HD5850. Browsing/video is obv a non-issue, games it really depends on res/settings/etc, but AA is the big killer and biggest waste at such a resolution/DPI/PPI.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

Dual-link DVI? It's not actually using two physical DVI ports.

Ahh sweet that was what I wanted to know. :)

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,314 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Dual-link DVI? It's not actually using two physical DVI ports.

Ahh sweet that was what I wanted to know. :)

The visual

difference between single and dual link

original.gif

My GPU is a GTX 570 with 2 DVI's and one HDMI (the HDMI port seems to be there just for show as I've never been able to get it to work on a second monitor)

Ok for this the HDMI is normally tied to the same output as the Primary DVI port so you can only use one or the other.

Without fiddling in the Nvidia control centre your primary monitor goes on DVI1 or HDMI and the secondary monitor goes on DVI 2.

If you want to keep your primary monitor on DVI and put your secondary monitor on HDMI then you connect the primary monitor to DVI2 and the secondary to HDMI and set which monitor is the primary in the Nvidia control panel.

At least I hope that is right been quite a while since I had to do this for a friend. :-)

Worth trying different combos anyway. Oh and you need to actually enable multi monitor support in Nvidia control panel.

Make sure both monitors are connected to the NVIDIA based graphics card,

- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and select "Set up Multiple Displays"

- Check the box next to the inactive display you wish to activate as a secondary display and click apply.

http://nvidia.custhe...ltiple-monitors

Do note the secondary monitor will not work until you are booted in to Windows.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users