• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hey. Are there any free Java editors out there? It can be online, on OSX or Windows. I would just like something I can practice what I learned on. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by SonOfNoddy, 13 November 2015 - 08:20 AM.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,799 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Notepad++

Look, Java, like any computer language, is just text - the compiler (or interpreter) is the bit that does the magic.  As such, you could use any damn text editor you want - from edlin up to emacs.  However, Notepad++ is a nice piece of gear that handles colour-coding for many languages, and it's free.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Wait - it was just an editor you were looking for, right?  Because you're still going to need an interpreter to make it work.  Get that from https://www.java.com/en/download/

Edited by Cybes, 13 November 2015 - 10:00 AM.

• Xen likes this

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#3 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

IntelliJ IDEA is the de facto standard for Java development.

https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#4 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

Notepad++

Look, Java, like any computer language, is just text - the compiler (or interpreter) is the bit that does the magic.  As such, you could use any damn text editor you want - from edlin up to emacs.  However, Notepad++ is a nice piece of gear that handles colour-coding for many languages, and it's free.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Wait - it was just an editor you were looking for, right?  Because you're still going to need an interpreter to make it work.  Get that from https://www.java.com/en/download/

Thanks, and I already have java...can't run Minecraft without it!

IntelliJ IDEA is the de facto standard for Java development.

https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

I'll check it out, thanks.

Edited by SonOfNoddy, 13 November 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (yes it's free)

https://www.visualst...roduct-editions

If you get bored with Java, you can program in other stuff in VS2015.

Cortana at your service

#6 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

You can code Java apps in VS2015? I thought they removed that ability when they decided to get rid of J# way back a decade ago.  Though recommending VS2015 and doing some non Java development is a good idea hahahaha

#7 copper

copper

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Try NetBeans, I use it before when studying java

#8 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,414 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

I'll second Notepad ++.  I use it for FAR more than just coding though.

Has anyone mentioned Eclipse yet?  I used to quite like it when I was doing Java at uni.

https://eclipse.org/downloads/

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#9 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Has anyone mentioned Eclipse yet?  I used to quite like it when I was doing Java at uni.

Eclipse *was* on my mac when I got it, about 1.125 years ago...but since then it's been wiped once and the HDD has died, so I no longer has eclipse ;-; i'm also to lazy to download it again :P

#10 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't use Eclipse, it's inferior to IntelliJ IDEA.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#11 copper

copper

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

Notepad ++ is a useful editor in coding and I can also use it for other programming languages that I used.

Eclipse is also a nice application  

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

Notepad ++ is a useful editor in coding and I can also use it for other programming languages that I used.

Eclipse is also a nice application  

Thanks for the advice!

We're a pretty close-knit bunch here these days, how about an Introduction thread in 'The Green Room' so we can all welcome you properly and learn a little about a new person who (for once) doesnt seem like a bot :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#13 ArchangelOfTheLamb

ArchangelOfTheLamb

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

What platform are you using? I'm asking because obviously there are different tools available for Linux (my favourite for any sort of development), Windows (sometimes the best choice for developing for Windows) and Mac (vomit).

Regardless of your choice of platform, you'll need to install the Java API, Netbeans or Eclipse to get started. As has been touched on above, the way that Java works (and the way that it gets its highly-versatile cross-platform compatibility) is through the use of an interpreter. Basically, you write the source code using whatever text editor you want (e.g. Notepad). However, for the source code to run, you need to first build it into a .class file, which is then run through an interpreter. The interpreter does the work of translating the .class file into machine code that the operating system can understand and execute - it does this on-the-fly, so provided that you have Java installed on whatever machine you're using, the same code should run on whatever operating system you're using without needing recompiling.

My preference for writing and editing source code is to use a program that has some colour-coding and basic sanity checks built into it (like Notepad++ for Windows or GNOME TextEditor for Linux). TextEditor supports a very wide range of programming and scripting languages - you change a setting to the language that you are using for any specific file and your source code will be colour-coded in accordance with the syntactic rules and specific keywords that apply in that language. This is very useful for debugging and for fixing typos and syntax errors - e.g. if you forget a bracket or to close a comment block, then the mistake should be obvious from the colour change that this produces. GNOME TextEditor also has the added advantage of already being installed on any Linux box running the GNOME Desktop Environment, so there is no need to download and install any additional software. Being open-source, it is also free and does not come with spyware or other such bullshit.

Good luck!

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

"These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." Revelation 22:6

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:12-14

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." Revelation 22:16

#14 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

What platform are you using? I'm asking because obviously there are different tools available for Linux (my favourite for any sort of development), Windows (sometimes the best choice for developing for Windows) and Mac (vomit).

Regardless of your choice of platform, you'll need to install the Java API, Netbeans or Eclipse to get started. As has been touched on above, the way that Java works (and the way that it gets its highly-versatile cross-platform compatibility) is through the use of an interpreter. Basically, you write the source code using whatever text editor you want (e.g. Notepad). However, for the source code to run, you need to first build it into a .class file, which is then run through an interpreter. The interpreter does the work of translating the .class file into machine code that the operating system can understand and execute - it does this on-the-fly, so provided that you have Java installed on whatever machine you're using, the same code should run on whatever operating system you're using without needing recompiling.

My preference for writing and editing source code is to use a program that has some colour-coding and basic sanity checks built into it (like Notepad++ for Windows or GNOME TextEditor for Linux). TextEditor supports a very wide range of programming and scripting languages - you change a setting to the language that you are using for any specific file and your source code will be colour-coded in accordance with the syntactic rules and specific keywords that apply in that language. This is very useful for debugging and for fixing typos and syntax errors - e.g. if you forget a bracket or to close a comment block, then the mistake should be obvious from the colour change that this produces. GNOME TextEditor also has the added advantage of already being installed on any Linux box running the GNOME Desktop Environment, so there is no need to download and install any additional software. Being open-source, it is also free and does not come with spyware or other such bullshit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info dude, and welcome back to Atomic! As a certain other Atomican would say cybes "Take a seat by the fire, there's plenty of spaces"

Edited by SonOfNoddy, 06 September 2016 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users