#1 Hippiekiller

Hippiekiller

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

Hello,

I am looking into using VPN service. 
I am considering using CyberGhost but only want to pay for a plan that covers 1 device. 
Originally I wanted to try and run it on my NAS where I run a torrent client, but I thought it might be good to try and set it up so it covers my entire network.
I have read that it isnt a great idea to run the VPN client directly on my router as the router would not be "fast / powerful" enough to handle it.

So I was thinking I could build my own router / linux box.. i remember many moons ago following a how to guide provided by atomic to build a linux firewall / gateway / router...
Sorry for sounding like such a goose, but it has been years since I have dabbled in anything *nix related.

one question though springs to mind, would it be possible to replace my ISP's provided router (I am on a fixed wireless NBN service) with a home made linux job that I could install the cyberghost VPN service on or would it be best to plug the supplied router into the linux gateway I try and build and then have that plugged into my switch?

I also remember many moons ago building a smoothwall box with 2 NICS in it that had similar setup with an ADSL connection.

Or am I just over cooking this?

Oh, reason I thought about the linux box was that I cant find out (or work out) how to install the cyberghost client on my shitty Thecus N2200 NAS.

Thanks for any info or advice.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Doing it at the router level will VPN all your traffic. Its probably the easiest way.

I'm quite a fan of hide.me

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 chrisjohnson

chrisjohnson

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

Doing it at the router level will VPN all your traffic. Its probably the easiest way.

I'm quite a fan of hide.me

Yes, I was a happy client of hide.me but i personally dont like their customer support so i switched to purevpn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users