2 replies to this topic

#1 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

Weirdness.
One particular monitor, my oldest one of the four, I just noticed had its power light glowing and the screen back light on and a small number of single pixel width coloured lines running down the screen at random intervals.
Everything else was off.
When I say everything was off, I'm not really exaggerating. The house has had no power for over 2 hours. I've been walking around with a candle in hand.
Freaky.

The power button was unresponsive. It would not turn off.
So I started unplugging things with batteries. A couple wireless headsets plugged in for charging and a cordless phone in its cradle. I turned off the PC at the PSU.
Unplugging the monitor from the power board got it off.
Power is restored now so I can't experiment further.
I guess I can unplug the power board Don the wall, but the monitor didn't turn back on after plugging it back into the board before the power came back so I assume I can't play further.
There are some CB walkie talkies on chargers that I forgot about. They may be on the same board and feeding enough power back into the power board to light up the screen. I'm in bed now and unmotivated to go check.
It was a strange occurrence though.

Bah, now I have to get up and stop the clock from flashing the wrong time at me.

Reality is just an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol.

WoT quote: "DishD (5:45:44 PM) ur a bad man Opy, funny as fuk but very Bad!"

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

Could be that... also I believe that often the plug/play logic can source power from HDMI or DVI which allows the monitor to be detected by the computer without you needing to turn it on.

#3 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

you probably had a brown out not a total power out

so there was still power just at lower voltage or possibly only one line instead of both were operating

i have had all the lights go out but pc was able to keep operating once

other times you will see the lights just barely glowing

i guess you had a bit less than this

half power like that can be deadly to electric motors like those in ac\fridge\freezer

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users