• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevie

stevie

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

Its been a while since ive had to even thing about opening a case up.

Last night pc went out and wouldnt reboot. I unplugged/removed everything from the mobo, attempting to power up, lasts about a second and goes out. Unplugged and checked psu bridging green wire to black, starts up and rails check out voltage wise.

Would appreciate your thoughts on replacements for a new mobo and cpu, old one was a gigabyte h55m-usb3. Ive spent far too much time out of the loop to have much idea on the current state of tech.

Pc is only getting used online and a bit of Civ 5 on lowest settings.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Same again?

The problem you have is that LGA 1156 was discontinued almost 4 years ago, and after a quick look @ Gamedude, Techbuy and MSY websites, none of them carry any stock.

Quick look @ eBay, there's some auctions going on.  But I suspect you'll have trouble finding a new one at reasonable price and will probably pay near or over new price for a previously loved example.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

eBAY - enter "LGA 1156 motherboard". Prices will very depending on the board being sold.

Cortana at your service

#4 stevie

stevie

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

I was going to get a new processor also. Sorry forgot to mention. Current one is i3 530.

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

If that's the case then you ought to just look at current lines.  Sell off the CPU you already have assuming it still works.  In any case verify for sure that the motherboard is the faulty/dead component and not your power supply.

Effectively you'd be building a new system but only needing to replace motherboard and CPU in doing so.  Anything else is effectively upgrading that component.

The choice to make is do you go for a low/midrange i3 or i5 with integrated graphics and use that, or build with a dedicated graphics card.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

it's really a new system then. if you can reuse the current RAM do it.

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users