• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

Was looking at the Surface 3's they seem to be hitting the $600 price range and look like what i need.

What is the advantage of a Surface over vice versa Laptop?

Will be using it for budgeting and Banking mainly ,no games.

Some of cheap Laptops look nice but when you look at them they all seem around the same price.

Only problem with a Surface3 you need to buy a keyboard and Pen.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

That's the older Surface 3 and not the better Surface 3 Pro right?

Cortana at your service

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,716 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

Generally the surface/detachable tablet types will have an SSD only, often 60 Gig or less and a lightweight CPU to go with it, e.g. Intel Atom.

You're paying a premium for portability, and I sort of question it especially given you can have lightweight full-featured laptops with SSDs at similar or less price and they'll usually have a much better CPU and the battery life shouldn't be a whole lot worse.

IMO a lot of that stuff is overpriced.  Especially given I saw a 10" Windows tablet with included BT KB the other day for $149.  Albeit low-res, low quality screen, and probably only 1 Gig Ram, 16 Gig storage and probably a ~ 1.5ish GHz Atom though the quad core ones don't exactly laze about.

#4 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

That's the older Surface 3 and not the better Surface 3 Pro right?

http://www.microsoft...0_3_S3_31012016

the older one

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

So for todays laptops and prices around $600 what sort of CPU should i be looking at?

Was looking at an i5 model in JB the other day ,forget the brand was too busy looking at ports on the side and such. Think it was Asus or Lenovo.

As for storage DVD's are cumbersome ,so probably stick to USB storage.

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,716 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

The problem with CPUs is that there's not quite the clear distinction among i3, i5, i7 that you might hope for.

I've got a Macbook Pro with i7 which has integrated graphics.  The CPU per core is fast as hell but hey, it's only dual core and the integrated graphics is rubbish, about the pace of a midrange HD 58xx series if it's lucky.

On the other hand you might have a quad core i5 of lower speed that overall would whoop that.

Storage - nobody much gives a crap for DVDs and plenty opt for an extra HDD in lieu of DVD drive or run an SSD + mechanical HDD.

There's just so many variables and despite having much less flexibility for upgrade than desktops, still plenty to consider.  Comes down to what you want to do with it, and how portable you want it.

#7 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Might head into Adelaide and have another look ,as far as brands is their any that i should be wary of?

Some laptops seem to have more than what you need and ask a steep price where cheaper models may have same CPU but less amount of programs. As you said its up to me.

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

Don't expect any dedicated graphics cards on those, unless its over 1k then you might get one.
Lenovo got caught shipping laptops with spyware bundled with their bloatware.

Cortana at your service

#9 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Looking more into it ,seems you are right about intel atom, my windows phone is more powerful than that.

Surface 4 seems to have it all ,but very pricey.

Trying to workout for laptop ,is a Multi DvD worth it over a USB3 port. Most have one but not both.

Lenovo seems to be getting some good reviews but you mentioned malware ,but if i put Windows 10 then that malware would be overwritten.

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Don't need DVD these days, or have a USB portable DVD burner for like under $100.

Cortana at your service

#11 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

Went back into JB's and had a look around looking at their laptops seems most of their range is old. Was looking for a laptop with SSD and USB3 and a good screen. Just could not find a SSD model at all.

SO wondered down to Hardly Normals and they had a huge range ,one that caught my eyes was a lenovo with SSD and a nice screen. They where asking $640 for it. Nice and flat very slim with no DVD ,had 3 USB ports 2*USB2 1*USB3.

Might check PCTA mag again for new models.

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

Yes for some reason USB3 is not the easiest thing to find

Cortana at your service

#13 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

Some good 2 in 1's coming out but they all seem to still use the Intel Atom chipset.

In particular the Asus T100TA which is getting good reviews only problem is it has a small storage area only about 64gb. So you need external storage.

Lenovo are picking up their pace with new 6th generation models using the i5 and i7 for under $1000 you get 1TB storage ,USB3 and DVD plus advanced wifi.

Looking more at the new chipsets now.

#14 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,716 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Intel Atom is so common as it's intention was small system use with very low power consumption, practically all are 5W or under.

Core M is a recent release, similar power consumption though the CPU itself should have better throughput.

There's also low power, 25W and under Core i series CPUs, though I suspect until pretty recently you'd find them more in netbooks and large tablets than devices that are primarily tablets.

Really, for myself - I'd get a lightweight laptop.  And in lieu of a tablet just get a phone with a 5" or bigger screen.

#15 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

Really, for myself - I'd get a lightweight laptop.

This why i am looking at Lenovo . Low power and new chipsets .

Only problem is they still use HDD over SSD.

#16 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,716 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about SSD or HDD.  You can always buy an SSD later.

A popular modification these days is using a caddy and putting a HDD in place of the optical drive.  Often SSD as boot drive, HDD as secondary then set up power saving options to keep it spun down when not busy.

#17 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

Depends on how they construct the netbook, my ASUS needs put everything out just to get to the hard drive.

Cortana at your service

#18 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Depends on how they construct the netbook, my ASUS needs put everything out just to get to the hard drive.

the new netbooks have a USB-C port so you could use a external SSD drive for $400 ,but its expensive.

Not seen a external caddy for SSD's yet.

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:15 AM

Thinking heavily about this 2 in 1 . From youtube reviews its getting some good reviews and scores.

https://www.asus.com...er_Book_T100HA/

Ok ,its small but it will do what i want.

With only 64gb ssd its small ,so i can buy an external SSD 256gb for $199 ,plus a DVD player for $95 and a USB stick for about $800 including the T100HA.

It can play some games like Skyrim and such.

For larger laptops may seem better but the options for low price ones are crap ,if you going to buy a laptop that will last you need to spend at least $1200.

#20 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,716 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Don't expect much in the way of graphics performance.  And the battery life will be nowhere near specs if it's running a 3D game.

I don't see the point of hanging external drives off it other than for video playback and archiving - otherwise it's just taking away from the portability you've paid a premium for in the first place.

You're probably way better off just forking out for a couple of 32 or 64 Gig USB3 flashdrives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users