• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

I like the idea of those 2-1 portable systems BUT I want bigger storage, proper GPU and well ... gaming. The netbook is getting a bit slow and I like powerful machines still. I have my phone for portable stuff if I need it.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#22 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hmmm ... MS store has specials on Dell inspire Signature laptops for just over $800.

I did really want it for gaming just as a backup for when i move so i can pay bills and contact places. Not really for gaming just more of a large smartphone ,seeing this i see a tablet and laptop in one. When i get to my new place i can build another desktop for myself for gaming and the larger tasks. Could of used my windows phone but it does like some sites and such.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#23 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 mobile is much better than IE11 on WP8.1.

That's if you upgrade your phone to w10m.

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#24 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:29 PM

It would have been an achievement not to be. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#25 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

That's if you upgrade your phone to w10m.

Only problem the 640XL update is still a long way to go. MS are more interested in their flagship models.

And i have noticed some pages do not load properly as MS stop scripts from running in the background.

#26 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

Looking at this model now

https://www.jbhifi.c...-laptop/843285/

JB's seems to be behind in Laptops ,with no SSD models. Refuse to buy from Hardly Normals.

#27 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

When i look at laptops and tablets look for what it can do ,not for what it should be.

But this youtube really keeps pulling me back to this Tablet.

https://www.youtube....h?v=P6jmls2f9Po

Ok its cheap at $498 but add a SSD for $99 for 128gb or $198 for 256gb  and mouse its great.

It has Intel HD and a IPS screen.

Getting a large laptop seems good but its looks are still far behind compared to this Tablet.

Btw this stupid MS 640xl will not display some webpages properly.

tried another browser Opera Mini and the same thing happens.

#28 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

The CPU in that thing is pretty low-end.  Actually all the Atom CPU SOCs are intended for low cost, low power situations.

For the most part OK for surfing the 'net but don't expect much at all from it for gaming purposes.

As a comparison, the graphical specifications seem fairly close to an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) CPU, same # of execution cores (12).

But, the difference in graphical base and burst clocks, only 200/600 MHz for the x5-z8500 vs 650/1300 for the i7-2620M.  Throw in (probably) slower system Ram, less graphical cache/buffer at that end and it probably performs even lower than what you might expect.

The graphics performance on the mentioned i7 is nothing impressive, you'd probably manage to run an older game like Far Cry or Half Life 2 OK at medium settings 1024x768.

http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/

As for adding or changing drives on that machine, I think your options might be limited.  Chances are it's locked up tight, built like a tablet.  The firmware might even expect it to have a drive of certain size and type present.

Edited by Rybags, 11 March 2016 - 03:25 PM.

#29 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

The CPU in that thing is pretty low-end.  Actually all the Atom CPU SOCs are intended for low cost, low power situations.

For the most part OK for surfing the 'net but don't expect much at all from it for gaming purposes.

As a comparison, the graphical specifications seem fairly close to an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) CPU, same # of execution cores (12).

But, the difference in graphical base and burst clocks, only 200/600 MHz for the x5-z8500 vs 650/1300 for the i7-2620M.  Throw in (probably) slower system Ram, less graphical cache/buffer at that end and it probably performs even lower than what you might expect.

The graphics performance on the mentioned i7 is nothing impressive, you'd probably manage to run an older game like Far Cry or Half Life 2 OK at medium settings 1024x768.

http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/

As for adding or changing drives on that machine, I think your options might be limited.  Chances are it's locked up tight, built like a tablet.  The firmware might even expect it to have a drive of certain size and type present.

It has 5 * Atom cpu's inside so i am guessing this is why its getting good reviews ,it also in the PCTA mag with high scores.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qJGw36U4N8U

Not really sure about anything being locked.

Here are some specs ;

https://www.asus.com...specifications/

Edited by codecreeper, 11 March 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#30 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

Erm... no way does it have multiple CPUs.

That particular CPU is quad Core - these days that's nothing special.  In fact of the phones and tablets I have, 2 Android and 1 Windows tablet all quad core.  2 single core Android phones, 1 quad.

"Locked" ? I'm not referring to the thing being locked down, it's the nature of the tablet types that you have even less versatility for adding more Ram or HDD capacity than with standard netbooks or laptops.

#31 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

You're hard pressed to find multi CPU systems these days, unless they are proper servers. Laptops and netbooks, not a chance given the form factor. Multi-core systems on the other hand are everywhere.

#32 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

It's all well and nice with the SOC becoming predominant on these smaller systems, but the common thing with practically all is the graphics performance, or lack of.

Forget resolution capability, it means little.  Though of course these days anything under 1080i on external output is somewhat povvo.  3D rendering though, lucky if it's on par with the $40 cheapie PC cards.

#33 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

JB's have sold out of this 2 in 1 ,back to Laptop searches then.

So its either Lenovo ( chinese brand ) or Dell.

Or just go out and buy a Tablet , hmmm?

#34 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,022 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

Can't backorder at jb?

#35 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

Can't backorder at jb?

Not Really they have taken the product off their lists.

Checking Asus in Aussie it seems they too are not getting anymore in ,the CHI model is worse than the TA model and only comes in White.

#36 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

I think before you buy anything you should work out what you actually want/need.

It's sort of pointless hanging stuff off a device just to get it's specs up to the next step in capability, you lose the portability and it ends up costing nearly the same anyway.

There's distinct muddy grey lines between cheap tablet, serious tablet, hybrid tablet/netbook, netbook, laptop, high end laptop.

Don't go cheap netbook expecting that somehow you can beef it up a bit and have it running the latest 3D games.

Edited by Rybags, 12 March 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#37 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

I think before you buy anything you should work out what you actually want/need.

It's sort of pointless hanging stuff off a device just to get it's specs up to the next step in capability, you lose the portability and it ends up costing nearly the same anyway.

There's distinct muddy grey lines between cheap tablet, serious tablet, hybrid tablet/netbook, netbook, laptop, high end laptop.

Don't go cheap netbook expecting that somehow you can beef it up a bit and have it running the latest 3D games.

Not really interested in Gaming ,just need it to keep a link open for emailing and reading news sites on the web.

When i move i may not have access to landline for a while ,so i need good wifi so use near libraries or even get Telstra prepaid dongle for wifi.

After i get a Landline i get back on broadband and i can order new desktop system. I was hoping my Smartphone could have done some things for me but MS IE browser and Opera will not load java or anything script based.

So maybe a Dell laptop could do but as you said is it worth spending nearly $1000 for a basic laptop or $1500 for a better. Maybe just just buy a $800 unit and buy a external SSD or some USB sticks for storage.

Dell seem to have some new models coming in they look but reviews so far on Dells say they are just average. Lenovo has good screen but poor ratings with poor graphics.

#38 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Seems like a price drop is coming for Surface4 ,if Surface3 is having price drops of $300.

Some new models in 2016 laptop range are coming into shops now ,noticing the new Intel HD 520 chipset. Suppose to be faster and less memory needed for processing.

Starting to look at models with i7-6200u ,8gb ddr3 ,and 1TB HDD as base now. Only $200 diff between i7 and i5 now.

#39 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

There's a Pendo that's fairly cheap and not a whole lot worse than the other detachable types.

It's pointless differentiating among i3, i5, i7 lines on prefix alone.  The boundaries are blurred especially with the mobile CPUs.  You have to just look at them based on speed, # of cores, available cache, feature set, power (TDP).

Even then it's not easy, seems places like Tom's H'ware don't keep their benchmarks up to date and comprehensive as they used to.

#40 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

There's a Pendo that's fairly cheap and not a whole lot worse than the other detachable types.

It's pointless differentiating among i3, i5, i7 lines on prefix alone.  The boundaries are blurred especially with the mobile CPUs.  You have to just look at them based on speed, # of cores, available cache, feature set, power (TDP).

Even then it's not easy, seems places like Tom's H'ware don't keep their benchmarks up to date and comprehensive as they used to.

Their is site like PCTA called Notebookcheckreviews it does the same type of benchmarks like CPU power ,GPU and HDD or SDD speeds. Plus the battery life of the Laptop.

The new 2016 models coming in now are not these sites yet ,so it looks like i will have to choose blindly.

The Chinese laptops seem to have the HDD built into the case making them more slimmer in style. So most probably other brands will probably follow the same style of design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users