• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#41 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:09 AM

If you want a Lenovo, buy online and wait for a (decent) sale.

If you just want something to check email and read online and whatever, IDK why you're spending so much.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#42 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

If you want a Lenovo, buy online and wait for a (decent) sale.

If you just want something to check email and read online and whatever, IDK why you're spending so much.

Trying to keep budget down to $1000 but i would go higher if its worth it.

For $500 you can get a netbook or a 2in1 but storage is very low.  2in1 could be useful for viewing pages and such and keyboard for typing letters ,but these 2in1's are very popular.

Was originally going to get a 2in1 with a external hdd or sdd ,but it seems that will  cost about $700 so why not pay extra and get a full blown laptop with all the trimmings.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#43 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

$500 is a lot to pay to check email and google and facespace. Pretty sure I paid under $200 for a 7" Android tablet that did all of that, back in '12.

If you can't decide what you want to use it for before you set a budget, you're always going to second guess if you should have spent more and gotten more features, or less because you won't use them.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#44 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

So it back to a cheap 2in1 for under $500 ,but a tablet could be better as i will have to look for a internet connection or wifi. Where i can buy a data block for a tablet easier.

Maybe a cheap Apple Ipad could be more suited. But i hate Apples.

#45 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,816 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

The new ipad 9.7?

Coal is the future of our demise

#46 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

The new ipad 9.7?

Samsung look better and cheaper at the moment. Apple is locking out all old tablets from upgrades according a Tech Site in USA.

#47 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,816 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

That's because the initial 9.3 can brick pre iphone 6 devices

Coal is the future of our demise

#48 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

I think i am going to follow Nich's advice and keep on a low budget , get a 2in1 for under $500. Then buy some USB sticks for storage they pretty cheap.

Can use the other $500 on my Desktop when i move.

#49 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Sounds sound :)

#50 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

What is it you need storage for?

What is it you need a physical keyboard and mouse for?

I still think %500 is too much. That's enough to get you a Lenovo thinkpad E450 with an i5.

If you get a laptop, the screen doesn't need to be as good because the range of viewing is relatively restricted - hence most budget laptops don't have IPS screens.

#51 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

What is it you need storage for?

What is it you need a physical keyboard and mouse for?

I still think %500 is too much. That's enough to get you a Lenovo thinkpad E450 with an i5.

If you get a laptop, the screen doesn't need to be as good because the range of viewing is relatively restricted - hence most budget laptops don't have IPS screens.

I need a keyboard and mouse for banking and such. Was looking at the ASUS Vivobook book range cheap and all specs look similar to the ASUS 100TA 2in1 ,as you mentioned the screen is reflective and could be a problem. IPS Screens seem expensive AS you mentioned what will i be  using it for . Once i get my Desktop and move i probably not use the laptop or tablet again. With my MS Phone i should be ok.

So cheaper is better just have to learn with the consequences of backward technology. I use JB's for my shopping ,hate Hardly Normals.

#52 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

I do most of my banking on my phone and previously on my tablet. No mouse, no physical keyboard, no problems.

It sounds like whatever you want to buy is to basically do what other people would on a phone or tablet: why do you needa bigger screen? Why can't you do what you need on your phone? If you can't, why not replace the phone?

#53 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:42 AM

Well if the MS phone had a descent browser and such then that would be fine. But with IE ,mini Opera and UC browser they all seem to block java applets needed for banking and web browsing. So it could be a MS thing to block these applets.

Not really sure what is going to happen when i move that is my main concern too and how long will i be without a stable net connection.

Replacing the phone with what ? It was phone that i needed for SMS for security purposes.

So i am back to Tablet or Laptop (small). Going into JB's later this week might look at Tablets and Laptops more.

#54 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

I'm surprised your baking doesnt work on your phone.

My good mate has a Windows phone, and his is perfectly fine for commbank and Suncorp.

Wierd.

Surface PRO's are great, untill you realise that with the angle of the stand, and the softer keyboards, they're a nightmare on plane tray tables.

If I were in your shoes, and had no need for high intensity computing on the go (just videos, music, reading, websurfing and banking). I'd be finding the cheapest, most simple Android or Windows tablet and using it.

Android will show up a mouse pointer when you plug one in (or bluetooth one).

Failing that, a Lenovo Ideapad or a HP Stream laptop.

https://www.jbhifi.c...p-white/856603/

They're below $300 so if something happend to them you'd be annoyed, but not heartbroken.

Also the stream gets like 9 hours battery, makes almost no heat, weighs almost nothing.....

why not?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#55 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

If your phone can't do what you want - get one that can?

Like you said, you're not likely to use a tablet or laptop if you get a new desktop. But a phone is always useful as a phone and small tablet.

#56 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

I'm surprised your baking doesnt work on your phone.

My good mate has a Windows phone, and his is perfectly fine for commbank and Suncorp.

Wierd.

That part is fine ,just need to give commbank my mobile number. The app installed fine.

Its the web browsing i need which MS phone is crap with using.

But getting a cheap laptop could work. Thanks.

#57 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yeah get a STREAM then.

Read some reviews.

and keep in your mind what you'll ACTUALLY be using it for.

Youtube and music.

Office tasks.

Pictures

Internet.

Banking

Facebook

etc.

The performance is almost not even relevant (even though its pretty good) since it'll fly at all those tasks easily.

Its very easy to get hooked into reading reviews and noticing it does pooly in This game or that game, and 'Other Laptop' does GREAT, for only $80 more (or some such).

But why would you need it?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#58 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:59 PM

Went to my original thoughts on the Asus T100HA ,looked at one in Hardly Normals.

It was smooth in opening and closing stuff ,the mouse pad was very responsive and just perfect for my small fingers.

Its the old model which is the better one ,so it can be removed from Keyboard and turned into a tablet.

Might go back tomorrow and grab one. The HP Stream looked ok ,but it looked like a toy in the blue colour.

#59 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

yep.

Its very toyish, and cheap, and light, and something you can carry and if it breaks, oh well.

Sometimes, for things like laptops, I like that in a device....

#60 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

yep.

Its very toyish, and cheap, and light, and something you can carry and if it breaks, oh well.

Sometimes, for things like laptops, I like that in a device....

Christmas present for yourself M_S ,maybe ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users