• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,606 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

I'd leave AHCI as is, it's possible to break the OS by changing it though Win7/later would probably do the driver change OK.

AHCI is supposedly a necessity for SSDs so that the Trim function works, not to mention NCQ for all supporting devices.

#22 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Everything says AHCI as far as I can see.

Turn AHCI off and put it back to SATA see if that helps ,or whatever  it is.

AHCI is SATA mode

Edited by Jeruselem, 16 March 2016 - 04:34 PM.

Cortana at your service

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,606 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Not exactly... Sata in itself is the physical interface.  AHCI describes the extended command set available as compared to basic Sata which uses IDE emulation.

AHCI in itelf wasn't even properly supported by Intel chipsets until something like 2008, and it's an evolving standard with ongoing revisions and additions (as is Sata itself).

#24 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

Have disabled the usual culprits, superfetch, indexing and search, have tried a new HDD ( cloned).

I thought it was a HDD ,not a SSD?

Edited by codecreeper, 16 March 2016 - 05:17 PM.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#25 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,606 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

The "culprits" are still applicable regardless of which you install the OS onto.

Guess should have asked early on how big the Paging file is... in theory if it was a ridiculously small amount of total virtual memory it could cause weird behaviour.

Though all said... I've got a 1 Gig Ram tablet that runs Windows 8 and it seems to handle it just fine though I've not really tried heavy stress testing on it, original Half Life is about the hardest job I've assigned to it besides video encoding.

#26 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

Hmmm...  I might have to switch back to SSD for the swap file.

Does it really wear down an SSD faster doing this though?

Doesn't really matter I guess, it's just my games drive.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#27 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

Hmmm...  I might have to switch back to SSD for the swap file.

Does it really wear down an SSD faster doing this though?

Doesn't really matter I guess, it's just my games drive.

Not noticeably.

If you have decent levels of RAM you shouldnt be hitting the swap for more than a few mb's per program anyway.

And that'll take a lifetime to wear an SSD.

I'm still on my original Samsung 830, and its showing no signs of data loss or failure.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#28 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Ah ok cool.

Will swap it over tonight, see how she goes.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#29 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

Just saw a customers computer today with the same issue on Win 8.1. A (partial) fix was to disable Windows Defender. Defender raised my suspicions as it kept popping up with removing malware messages but never actually seemed to do anything.

So disabled it and ran a couple of other malware scanners and did not find much except a few junk browser toolbars and search settings. Disk usage still seems high but the PC is better. What I also found odd was when the task manager was reporting 100% disk usage  the total IO for the disk seemed ok. So possibly a misreport or else an issue with the hard drive itself. Set up the computer to run a full checkdisk and asked the owner to reboot it when they shut the shop up and leave chkdsk running overnight.

Will see what that says.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users