Photo

Not charging

What do i do

Best Answer codecreeper , 16 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Found a PS for charging my Mobile its looks and cheap for $20 same as Belkin but has a power filter inbuilt and overcharging LED. With what i am saving from buying a Belkin i can buy a nice Leather case wallet for it. All about $50 plus 5 for postage.

Maybe not now damn thess postal costs are worth more than the items. Back JB's on the belkin

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

damn problem has been bugging me since midday.

Decided to charge my Digital Camera up ,everything went fine but it stopped charging 30mins in. Remove battery from charger put in my camera to check its charge it was about %10 charge, so i put it back in charger and continue this time it charges fully after 90mins.

So i decide my mobile needs charging grab my charger plug the connection into phone usb charger and plug charger into power and turn it on ,all looks fine checked it in 30mins again it shows not charging. Strange. So i move to power point in house in my comp room starts to charge away it goes indicator shows charging then it turns off after 5mins only charged %3 ,getting pissed off here. So i move it down to other end of house ,starts to charge and again turns off after 5mins. But this time charger feels warm so its charging ,but something is tripping it to turn off.

Now our next neighbour is a solar power freak ,he has panels on his roof and weekend put panels on his shed to power his pool filter system and lights. Just wonder if his house is pumping spikes back into our house as his power also connects onto our power from our house. My PC is fine but smell like plastic like smell after a while ,my surge board light is on meaning its filtering the power.

Not sure what to do ? Need this damn phone for when i move ,but again a good excuse to buy another.

Really strange 2 devices chargers acting strange.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

Sounds feasible you might be getting power that's not to spec... expensive inverters should do proper sine wave and additionally a solar system should sync to the mains.  No point outputting a perfect sine wave if it's totally out of phase with the mains it feed into.

Regardless of that, PC power supplies and wallwart chargers shouldn't really care too much if it's getting a stepped "simulated sine" like most cheap inverters produce.  These PSes output DC anyway and generally have rectifier bridge and either inductive or PWM to step down the voltage.

It's generally stuff that uses AC electric motors that will get into trouble if the AC is a poor approximation of a sine wave.

On the other hand... maybe this guy's system is poorly adjusted and feeding too much voltage in.  NFI how that would play out given that really a solar feed-in is like throwing buckets of water into the Amazon.

#3 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

Sounds feasible you might be getting power that's not to spec... expensive inverters should do proper sine wave and additionally a solar system should sync to the mains.  No point outputting a perfect sine wave if it's totally out of phase with the mains it feed into.

Regardless of that, PC power supplies and wallwart chargers shouldn't really care too much if it's getting a stepped "simulated sine" like most cheap inverters produce.  These PSes output DC anyway and generally have rectifier bridge and either inductive or PWM to step down the voltage.

It's generally stuff that uses AC electric motors that will get into trouble if the AC is a poor approximation of a sine wave.

On the other hand... maybe this guy's system is poorly adjusted and feeding too much voltage in.  NFI how that would play out given that really a solar feed-in is like throwing buckets of water into the Amazon.

try charging again tonight when its dark as any solar power will be used in the house circuit from storage.

Tomorrow i might buy another charger just in case its the charger too ,plus i will buy a power filter. And a cable to charge from my PC to Phone. My old PSU has a inbuilt filtering into it ,so that should work. Gigabyte 800w with PSU monitoring.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

Power filter?  Got example?

Pretty much all the under $100 surge/filter boards you see just have a sacrificial arrestor that blows if it goes too far overvolt or cops a lightning strike.

The ones with a reset switch - that switch is generally tripped if you overload the board, ie put enough appliances such that they try to pull more than 10 Amps.

If you're going to buy something... these days the plugin power meters are under 20 bucks.  Plug in before the appliance and it can give instant reading of voltage, wattage, accumulated consumption etc.  Of benefit to you is the fact they give an instantaneous voltage readout, usually without needing anything plugged into them.  You could try one and read it at various times to see if any big fluctuations are going on.

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Someone was saying it could be the charger ,its drops the charge when its warm. Which sounds about right works no problems when cold but when it gets warm to hot it stops. Might buy another one from JB's probably a cheap belkin with a removable cord so i can charge from PC to m-usb too.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,956 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

Good power filters that actually do EMI\RFI\Spikes\ (micro) droops (the cap is in the uf range.....), are Dick Smith media power boards.

Tested and loved by many people.

They'll do all the filtering you'll need.

Failing that, charge from your PC. (this will at least let you know its not the device)

Yes, its slower, but a slower charge is actually a more complete charge anyway.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:52 AM   Best Answer

Found a PS for charging my Mobile its looks and cheap for $20 same as Belkin but has a power filter inbuilt and overcharging LED. With what i am saving from buying a Belkin i can buy a nice Leather case wallet for it. All about $50 plus 5 for postage.

Maybe not now damn thess postal costs are worth more than the items. Back JB's on the belkin

Edited by codecreeper, 16 March 2016 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users