• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Turned on my routers wifi and it updated my MS phone apps pretty fast. After this i turned Wifi off for security but it works and it seems very fast.

How do you know someone is not using your wifi or hacking into it?

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

That's what the security is for - as minimum use a WPA2 variant on the router (usually defaults to it).  WEP is now next to useless, supposedly can be hacked by a phone based app in barely a minute.

If you're real paranoid some routers allow limiting connections based on network Mac ID of the device but then you'd need to add each thing manually.

With my setup, though it's not really security related I've set several of my devices to have reserved IPs - makes it way easier in that I know the phone will always connect on 10.1.1.4 for FTP purposes.

Regardless, it seems generic modems don't have very strong antennas.  My crappy old DLink would work outside 10 metres away albeit not with the best signal and had configurable signal strength.  My recent modems seem to have less powerful signal at a distance and no configuration for the antenna.

These days it's like 2/3rds or more of households have a Wifi signal going, so any war-drivers are likely to just scan for someone using no or weaker security.

But for what?  It's not like data costs much these days and it's easier to just go to a place with free wifi.

#3 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

I have a Billion 7300gra pretty old now. Seems to be fast.

How do you how much data is going through wifi too. I have small quota just don't want too burn through it overnight.

It really was amazing the speed ,it was something new to me.

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

Do you have reason to believe someone is going to be hacking your internets?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

If you fashion some aluminium foil into a teepee shape, with a door that's open about 120 Degrees facing into the house that will provide some level of obscurity to attempted access from outdoors.  Another piece of alfoil shaped into a sombrero will also help shield access from the roof, as well as improving the ambience within the room.

Speed - given most ADSL connections are about 15 mbits/sec or less that comes in under a third of what 802.11g can do, to say nothing of n or ac.  The thing is though once you get more devices connected and have LAN type comms going on you can easily max out the bandwidth especially given the hub topology of all the earlier variants of wifi.

Quota - it's same as if you were using a desktop with cable attachment.  The thing is though with phones you have that annoyance that Apps are constantly wanting to update though I can't imagine a phone with a couple of dozen active apps using more than about 500 Meg per month on updating them.

#6 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Do you have reason to believe someone is going to be hacking your internets?

Just curious as to how you would know ?

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

You can show access logs.

A better way is to just check manually. If your phone and computer are the only things using the modem, wired or wireless, then you can check data moved via wifi on the phone itself (presumably), and run netmeter or something to track data used on your desktop. Then compare that to data used via the ISP's loginpage (I prefer desktop gadgets on my second monitor to track it, YMMV).

It won't matter if something using it is using it, unless you actually run out of data, and that should be relatively easy to see.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#8 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

Turned on my routers wifi and it updated my MS phone apps pretty fast. After this i turned Wifi off for security but it works and it seems very fast.

How do you know someone is not using your wifi or hacking into it?

Use mac address whitelisting ;)

I have a Billion 7300gra pretty old now. Seems to be fast.

How do you how much data is going through wifi too. I have small quota just don't want too burn through it overnight.

It really was amazing the speed ,it was something new to me.

Just like Nich said, check the access logs. You could also set up traffic monitoring and just look through that to see who's accessing your internet with (or without) your permission

Edited by SonOfNoddy, 30 March 2016 - 07:55 AM.

• Xen likes this
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#9 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

You should be able to see which MAC addresses have connected to it, and which IP address they have used.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

Yep.

Mac address whitelisting is very easy to bypass if they 'Want to attack you specifically'.

But for any wardriver, or day to day schoolyard hacker, it instantly puts you into the 'too hard' basket and they move on.

also, turn off SSID broadcast so you have to type the SSID each time.

Its all security through obscurity, which is 'bad' security, but at the end of the day, if you're a 2/10 difficulty, and your neighbor is a 1/10, who's the target now?

Mobile data is so common now, very few people break wifi for fun.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

But for any wardriver, or day to day schoolyard hacker, it instantly puts you into the 'too hard' basket and they move on.

Hidden SSID presents a different security risk, it's actually better practice to have it switched on.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hidden SSID presents a different security risk, it's actually better practice to have it switched on.

I'm unaware.

Care to explain quickly?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#13 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Yep.

Mac address whitelisting is very easy to bypass if they 'Want to attack you specifically'.

But who would want to attack him specifically? Unless you pissed of anonymous or some mob boss...you didn't, did you?

#14 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

I'm unaware.
Care to explain quickly?

When you have a wifi network saved on your device that has a hidden SSID, your device is constantly announcing to the world that it's trying to find that SSID.

As opposed to a broadcasted SSID, which the device will passively wait for.

It doesn't make the network easier/harder to break in to, but it reveals information about you. If you had a somewhat unique SSID, it could be used to find out where you live, thanks to all those smart devices revealing physical locations of WiFi networks "to improve location accuracy"

Edited by SquallStrife, 30 March 2016 - 11:41 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Ah.

I turn wifi off (on my phone) when i leave the house.

Thanks for the heads up, makes sense, but doesnt apply to me :)

#16 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

Think i might turn off my Wifi at night time when i stop using PC for watching DVD's. Being Night time is when most hackers do their dirty work.

On my phone i can pick up 3 houses close to me with wifi networks and Telstra Air.

#17 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Think i might turn off my Wifi at night time when i stop using PC for watching DVD's. Being Night time is when most hackers do their dirty work.

On my phone i can pick up 3 houses close to me with wifi networks and Telstra Air.

Then use Telstra Air!

#18 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,332 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Mac filtering along with hidden SSID is almost completely useless. Sheesh even Windows 8 and 10 show WLAN networks with hidden SSIDs as available, and cloning MAC addresses is also trivial.

As there are so many apps and programmes out there to get around MAC filtering and hidden ssids it's not even hard to get around them so the obscurity thing is pointless.

The only current decent security is WPA2 with AES (not TKIP) with a decent passphrase. Passphrase should be at least 10 characters and include non-alphanumerics and should not use any proper words or names.

I often use http://www.yellowpip...y/Generator.php to generate WPA2 keys.

You must also turn off WPS on the router as this is also a vulnerability.

Also change the password used to log in to the router to stop anyone who is already connected changing router settings.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Mac filtering along with hidden SSID is almost completely useless. Sheesh even Windows 8 and 10 show WLAN networks with hidden SSIDs as available, and cloning MAC addresses is also trivial.

As there are so many apps and programmes out there to get around MAC filtering and hidden ssids it's not even hard to get around them so the obscurity thing is pointless.

The only current decent security is WPA2 with AES (not TKIP) with a decent passphrase. Passphrase should be at least 10 characters and include non-alphanumerics and should not use any proper words or names.

I often use http://www.yellowpip...y/Generator.php to generate WPA2 keys.

You must also turn off WPS on the router as this is also a vulnerability.

Also change the password used to log in to the router to stop anyone who is already connected changing router settings.

I use that Microsoft password checker if it comes back as strong then i use that password.

What is 'WPS"? . Using a Billion 7300gra .

I read the security notes the two passwords are different ,router is harder than WiFi.

#20 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

Wifi Protected Setup - allows automating connection of devices to a router usually by just pressing a single button on each one.  But it's a security vulnerability and on some devices can't be disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users