• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:04 AM

It's a vulnerability but if they have physical access to a home router, there's bigger fish to worry about.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#22 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

It's a vulnerability but if they have physical access to a home router, there's bigger fish to worry about.

Don't need physical access to break WPS.

https://en.wikipedia...Vulnerabilities

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

The "delay after failed password" method should be used so much more... just .1 second would make most brute force and dictionary attack methods impractical.

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Biggest thing here, is not to scare people who are less experienced with this technology (like codecreeper).

This isnt a 'best practice network security' seminar, its a dude with some new tech looking for peace of mind.

Look, seriously, as someone who had an interest in 'wardriving' (cataloging open or insecure local wifi)  many years ago, there's one thing you learn.

You need to be pretty high on the target list to bother if the access point is 'difficult'.

(I just had to know what was inside "Fucking Piss Tree" ssid......)

A basic WPA2 password is enough to deter 90% of 'hackers', if the brute force doesn't get in in the first 1 minute (1 million?) passwords they try, they're off to the next one.

a MAC filtering white list, while useless to someone who knows the technology, is 100% effective against Mr School Kid with his iPhone who managed to guess your password somehow.

Hidden SSID's are also a great way to ensure passing phones don't list them as 'available'. Most will at least respect they're 'hidden', or at the least, they need the entire scan interval to ensure you're actually there, in my experience it means if you catch your wifi with the last 2 seconds of the 'scan' it wont show if it's hidden.

Can I spoof a mac address? Yes.

Can I look for hidden SSID's? Of course!

Can I break WPA2? If you have WPS or TKIP, eventually, sure.

The question is WHY THE HELL WOULD I ?!?

You're instantly a very hard target, with no personal grudge, with probably some slow ADSL connection.

I'm better off getting past McDonalds public WiFi filtering and using their fiber NBN style connection for free.

Honestly code, Let me give you a real world example:

I have a PirateBox:

https://piratebox.cc/

I live next to a very busy train station.

While there's 10's of 'open wifi' hits from phones doing their 'automatic join if open' trickery, the ammount of data sent, or even attempted to be sent is about 0.

5 years ago, when anything more than 100mb on your phone was rare, sure, people wanted your wifi. Now? Its easier just to use your phone!

Seriously dude, its hard enough getting windows to file share when you want it to; let alone even bothering to THINK about 'security' beyond a good WPA2 password, and turning off windows file sharing.

Its just...... pointless for a home user.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 11 April 2016 - 11:24 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

Trouble with hidden SSIDs M_S is some devices seem to really chuck wobblies about connecting to them.

Mobile phones and tablets seem to be particularly fussy. Perhaps due to the way various manufacturers play with the basic OS?

There should be no reason why this is so but we had a couple of hidden SSIDs at the place I volunteer at just for the "ensure passing phones don't list them as 'available" thing. However this then caused issue with some of our own devices so we reversed the setting.

#26 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

I know Windows Phone 7 had no capacity to connect to hidden SSID, fixed in 8 when you could add your own entries manually.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#27 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Wifi keeps stops working ,my router is at the other end of our home. Which is about through 4 double brick walls and a door.

Checked for wifi available i went from to now 7 wifi spots overlap my area. Plus Internode free wifi .

it seems to stick on the 3rd bar ,when i am same room i can get 16.7mbps ,other end of house about 9-10mbps. i suppose that is not bad.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#28 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

You're in an internode free wifi area and you're paying for internet? what on earth?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#29 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

Wifi keeps stops working ,my router is at the other end of our home. Which is about through 4 double brick walls and a door.

There's your problem, the wifi is being attenuated too much by the walls etc. You need to get a wifi point closer to your devices, prefferably in the same room.

Either get Ethernet run from the main router to the required room and fit a wireless AP or Wireless router in AP/WAN bypass mode or if that is out use a pair of Ethenet over power devices to get an Ethernet port in the required room

Some of the EoP devices come with a built in wireless AP on the slave unit.

#30 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

You're in an internode free wifi area and you're paying for internet? what on earth?

it only just turned on last week for the Obahn ( Bus ) interchange near us.

There's your problem, the wifi is being attenuated too much by the walls etc. You need to get a wifi point closer to your devices, prefferably in the same room.

Strange it only happens when the air is warm outside. But on the Transformer site for Asus TA100Ha they say to download broadcom drivers and dump the MS drivers for better range. No idea where to start looking ? Should i be looking at Asus site or a Broadcom site.

#31 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,274 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

it seems to stick on the 3rd bar ,when i am same room i can get 16.7mbps ,other end of house about 9-10mbps. i suppose that is not bad.

It might be blackspots.  You wouldn't be getting that little reduction of it was massive attenuation.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#32 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

It might be blackspots.  You wouldn't be getting that little reduction of it was massive attenuation.

What about too many wifi spots overlapping each other can that cause signals to be jammed?

#33 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

MIMO-OFDM.

Long story short, technological tricks and multiple frequencies and antennas on later 802.11 standards allow higher data rates with less chance of contention.

#34 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,274 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

What about too many wifi spots overlapping each other can that cause signals to be jammed?

That's not a thing.

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Well, not exactly.

You CAN have enough wifi that new devices drop constantly.

We would see it all the time on Education Queensland sites.

One site had 4 schools on one physical location.

Each with their own infrastructure.

Each set up with the identical MOE (so same channels, etc).

Each school wanted to use the Library, and had installed about 3 access points each.

So, 12 access points, in a 10m2 area, all on the same channel.  Add in about 200 students, and i'd happily call that 'Jamming up' the airwaves.

Same thing happened with tablets and bluetooth keyboard.

Class of more than 27 would see bluetooth failing across the class.

#36 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

damn wifi was not working on my Tbook let win10 resolve it. just dropped driver out and then re detect wifi. Driver reloaded back in and it works again.

Wonder if the weather can affect the wifi signal ?

#37 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

downloaded a jpeg viewer strange i can now see the program files. Found Broadcom driver package dated last october 2015. Driver in use is about 2013 ,might update later in the week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users