• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,021 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:39 AM

Closed beta started today, and will run all weekend.

But if you aren't invited, or are invited but can't be stuffed downloading and running it, here's some gameplay footage.

tl;dr You're not missing out on anything groundbreaking here. It's a dudebro FPS with some original-Doom inspired assets.

1080p60 for your viewing (dis)pleasure.

Edited by SquallStrife, 02 April 2016 - 01:42 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:40 AM

Hey cool someone updated Quake 3 a bit.

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hope they use an announcer voice in the general release that isn't so weenie.

Yep, it does just look like an updated Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament, and at that the graphics aren't really better than later UT games.  I'd really hope that a new Doom game would contain a story based SP mission to make it worth aquiring.

#4 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Wow, that looks rubbish.  Just another generic deathmatch game.

Surely they were using a POS system to run it on.  Graphics look a hell of a lot worse than in the trailer.

Edited by bushi, 05 April 2016 - 10:41 AM.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#5 AccessDenied

AccessDenied

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,483 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

It's Bethesda.  What you do is wait til they release.  Hope they get a community and stay afloat.

In about 12 months after release, there will be patches that fix up the god-awful graphics, and fix the gameplay.

THEN you wait til it's on special and buy it.

Bethesda.  Truly a budget company.

AD

I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

#6 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

I Remember signing up for the Beta when i purchased Wolfenstein, but fucked if i know what email i used...

Looking forward to the Single player :)

Edited by smakme7757, 09 April 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#7 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,021 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

Surely they were using a POS system to run it on.  Graphics look a hell of a lot worse than in the trailer.

Hah!!

This was capped on my system, i7 4790k with GTX980. What you see is what you get.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

Looks OK but somewhat monochromatic in many places.  Needs head bob and yaw though, as it is it's like he's surfing around on a hoverboard.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

I need a gaming PC now, netbook don't cut it

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#10 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

I tried to get it running on my rig but there was an issue with mouse control, as in I didn't have any for some unknown reason. Tried to sort it for about an hour before I said fuck it, I've got better things to do with my time. Looked at TB's review and am sorry I wasted an hour trying to get it to work. Looks shit. 

Edited by disolusiond, 15 May 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#11 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hah!!

This was capped on my system, i7 4790k with GTX980. What you see is what you get.

lol didn't realise it was your video!  But you have a decent system.  I'll wait for full release before making a decision on whether it looks good and if the immersion is there.

http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#12 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

Dragged myself away from The Witcher. My initial thoughts on the MP were spot on. It's complete shit. The SP on the other hand. O!M!G! So much fun, and right from the very first 5 seconds. No intro bullshit, just "here's some guns, now go make things die". And it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smooth. I've got it running on ultra with a few things turned down and it hasn't dropped below 65FPS. I hope that they tweak the MP with patches, because as it stands it's a big bag of meh. Nothing that can't be fixed, though. Anyway, back to hell I go.

Edited by disolusiond, 14 May 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#13 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

Dragged myself away from The Witcher. My initial thoughts on the MP were spot on. It's complete shit. The SP on the other hand. O!M!G! So much fun, and right from the very first 5 seconds. No intro bullshit, just "here's some guns, now go make things die". And it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smooth. I've got it running on ultra with a few things turned down and it hasn't dropped below 65FPS. I hope that they tweak the MP with patches, because as it stands it's a big bag of meh. Nothing that can't be fixed, though. Anyway, back to hell I go.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'm loving single player!

#14 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

same they didnt just do coop instead of mp

with a 290 im getting 27fps looking down the hall in the first room at 2560 ultra
changing most settings to high dropping af or aa doesnt seem to make much difference but dropping shadows to high does fps went up to 37-38
overclocking the 290 to 1200mhz got it up to 44-45fps
most the game is 60+ it doesnt drop below that very often
graphics outside of the first room are very average
looking forward to the vulcan patch and new amd drivers to get it running silky smooth all settings ultra

gpu-z sais the game is only using 3gb but to take the settings above ultra it says i need at least 5g

http://www.pcgamesha...k-Test-1195242/

image.png

Edited by Dasa, 15 May 2016 - 09:56 AM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#15 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

I just looked at my settings this morning while I was having breakfast. Apparently I've been playing on high, not ultra. I've done this before, been playing on x when I was thinking I was on y. Not sure how I did it, but whatever. The game looks awesome and is normally around 80 to 100 FPS, dipping to 65 every now and then. Playing in 2580x1060. Going to give ultra a go in a minute but I'm not holding my breath for a constant 60+.

#16 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

This game is officially the most metal thing in the history of things. 

#17 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

Well I've now been playing since around 11 this morning non stop, plus about three hours last night. I'm only stopping now to go get some dinner. Been a while since a game has done that to me. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty that the game would let me play on, as you have to unlock the other two, and I've still not beaten it. Fucking epic. Just fucking epic. I know it's still early but this is the GOTY for my so far, even with the meh multiplayer. 

There were a couple of sections where things were getting truly hectic with the amount of enemies on the screen, when the frame rate dropped to the mid 30s, but other than those few times it's been one of the smoothest, fastest shooters I've played. 

It's great to see id going back to doing what they do so well. This is just a shinier, faster, better, more polished Doom. It's not trying to be anything else, and that is so fucking nice to see. Shame about the MP, but here's hoping they listen to the community and fix it with patches. IMO they need to get rid of the daemons (too overpowered), the melee kills (too slow for MP) and maybe speed up the movement a little and it'd be perfect. 

shme they didnt just do coop instead of mp

OMG yes! coop would be incredible on the higher difficulties. I still want them to sort the MP out, though. I've been after a great arena shooter but nothing on the market has taken my fancy. And really, what's better than Doom 3 when it comes to that genre? Nothing IMO. 

Edited by disolusiond, 15 May 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#18 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I don't like the way the enemies spawn in. 

I don't mind the RPG style upgrade system for the weapons, but am not a fan of the RPG style health upgrades.

I can see they are trying to emulate the original Doom with the speed and overwhelming amount of enemies, but it doesn't work when the enemies just constantly spawn in. It feels like it plays more like a wave shooter, do this, kill everything (while it spawns in), move onto the next area, rinse, repeat. Thats about as far from the Original 2 games as they could go. 

With enemies constantly spawning around you in different directions, its hard to really play it like the originals, if you knew the areas well or were just flat out good, Doom was almost like a ballet. 

Art style is weird and almost cartoony in some aspects, while being ultra realistic and gritty in others, I'm not a fan,

Coop would certainly help make the campaign more enjoyable. Maybe I'll find something I like in Snapmap with Coop.

My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#19 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:11 AM

Just realized that I typed Doom 3 when I meant Quake 3. Completely different franchise, but still id, which is what I'd personally like the MP to play like, only shinier. I took a break to watch a movie and am back on now. If I had one criticism it would be that the later level design isn't as good as the rest of the game. Speaking of the level design.... How about that level design. Hey? Hey? Pretty sweet level design. Am I right? 

Edited by disolusiond, 16 May 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#20 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

I don't like the way the enemies spawn in. 

I don't mind the RPG style upgrade system for the weapons, but am not a fan of the RPG style health upgrades.

I can see they are trying to emulate the original Doom with the speed and overwhelming amount of enemies, but it doesn't work when the enemies just constantly spawn in. It feels like it plays more like a wave shooter, do this, kill everything (while it spawns in), move onto the next area, rinse, repeat. Thats about as far from the Original 2 games as they could go. 

With enemies constantly spawning around you in different directions, its hard to really play it like the originals, if you knew the areas well or were just flat out good, Doom was almost like a ballet. 

Art style is weird and almost cartoony in some aspects, while being ultra realistic and gritty in others, I'm not a fan,

Coop would certainly help make the campaign more enjoyable. Maybe I'll find something I like in Snapmap with Coop.

It's pretty insane. I don't know how many fights I've finished up only to find the Quad Damage, Beserk or God mode when everything was all done and dusted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users