• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

hell the first level in which i found everything including a  classic doom secret area

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#22 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

hell the first level in which i found everything including a  classic doom secret area

From whet I remember of a walkthrough of a level that one of the devs was doing at one of the E3 type shows, there's a classic Doom level hidden on every level of the game, and if you find them all it unlocks the original game in full. I've only found one, though, and I've been looking for them so they're hidden very well. 

#23 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

Having played some more, my opinion is changing for the better. The wave style arena fights still annoy me, but offer some frantic gameplay.

Certainly something I need to be in the mood to play and I can't play it for really long stretches, but its growing on me, thats for sure.

My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#24 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:31 PM

Well after 15 hours I beat it on the Ultra-Violence difficulty, although about an hour of that was spent replaying levels in order to complete some of the weapon challenges quickly. Loved every second. I still think the Hell levels weren't as complex as the rest of the game and were a little samey, but other than that it was all gravy imo. I even liked the boss battles, and I've never really been one for boss battles, with the exception of the Souls games. 

I'm going over all the levels now, trying to find the secrets I missed, of which there were many, and finishing off all the weapon/rune challenges. Some of the secrets are incredibly well hidden. There are parts of the maps I just can't work out how to get to, let alone find the actual secrets once I get there. 

Glad to hear you're enjoying it now, Nuke. 

#25 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

ok new amd driver that claims 35% performance improvement in doom but in some places its a lot more than that

http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

2560x1440 ultra detail motion blur off film grain off 8x tssaa

Crimson Edition 16.3.2 WHQL

27fps

doom27_zpsc4f5en9l.jpg

Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Beta

53fps

doom%2053_zps81asdtsy.jpg

Beta driver 290 overclocked to 1200mhz

61fps

doom%2061_zpspsvlrvn8.jpg

Edited by Dasa, 18 May 2016 - 10:40 AM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#26 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Was very disappointed with the two unlockable difficulties of DOOM. It's the same difficulty only with one shot deaths, and on the hardest difficulty it's one shot permadeath. Personally I'd have preferred an actual difficulty increase rather than the one shot death route, but whatever. 

#27 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

I don't like the way the enemies spawn in. 

I don't mind the RPG style upgrade system for the weapons, but am not a fan of the RPG style health upgrades.

I can see they are trying to emulate the original Doom with the speed and overwhelming amount of enemies, but it doesn't work when the enemies just constantly spawn in. It feels like it plays more like a wave shooter, do this, kill everything (while it spawns in), move onto the next area, rinse, repeat. Thats about as far from the Original 2 games as they could go. 

With enemies constantly spawning around you in different directions, its hard to really play it like the originals, if you knew the areas well or were just flat out good, Doom was almost like a ballet. 

Art style is weird and almost cartoony in some aspects, while being ultra realistic and gritty in others, I'm not a fan,

Coop would certainly help make the campaign more enjoyable. Maybe I'll find something I like in Snapmap with Coop.

i see from your later comments that youre warming to it now, but this^ is pretty much exactly what i was thinking after watching some gameplay vids.

waves of spawning enemies shit me.  it can be fun as its own thing, a la the Last Man Standing mod for Doom3, but this seems to run counter to a fair chunk of what made DOOM so awesome.  there were moments of batshit insane overwhelming odds but also tactical options in the way you went about clearing areas, sometimes to turn a corner later and drop a deuce when one of the imps you left behind was right in your face.

from looking at it, theres so many things they could have done differently to recapture the original feel :/  but, i guess, neither of the Johns are there anymore.

and on the topic of imps, imo their firey missiles should be SLOW!  dodging that shit was a thing in itself.

Edited by @~thehung, 26 May 2016 - 05:55 PM.

no pung intended

#28 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,021 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

Don't forget, Doom '93 did the "spawn a bunch of monsters" thing as well, they just hid them behind doors that opened when you entered the room.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#29 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

Don't forget, Doom '93 did the "spawn a bunch of monsters" thing as well, they just hid them behind doors that opened when you entered the room.

Not in the same way though. DOOM Essentially blocks your progress until you defeat waves of enemies in arena style areas. There was none of that in the Original 2 games. The way Doom 1 and 2 did those ambush style encounters was cool.

FWIW I finished it and enjoyed my playthrough, but I doubt I'll go back and play it much, maybe a replay of the game in a years time or something.

My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#30 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

Got nothing than can run doom 4 at the moment.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#31 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

playing it at the moment, and ... very impressed!

this is what reboots/reimaginings should be:  plausible as a fully realised vision of what the original creators may have had in mind — but at the time had to comprimise on — due to the limitations of immature tech.

its like they looked back at what DOOM brought to the old-school shooter experience, dispensed with the bad, and highlighted everything good.

its got very simple movement mechanics and the level designs to match.  you can discern an underlying 'blockiness' to every corridor or thing you can jump on or crouch under.  but all of this feels very deliberate, and super slick.  the textures on structures and surfaces for example are retro enough to 'fit', and yet modernly minimalist and polished.

theres not much to slow you or the game down either. your character runs by default (you have to hold SHIFT to walk - and why would you?), theres no reloading of weapons (yes!), hardly any desctructible items or other shit in your way, no physics based puzzles, no inventory management, no tedious cutscenes and belaboured "story".  just find the next coloured key and open the door to mayhem.

and the mayhem is just right.  its contained to certain areas, just like it was in the original.  its very different to the mindless haphazard waves of enemies you get in a game like Serious Sam (as fun as that can be).  you are thrown into the thick of onslaughts, with enemies spawning around you, but the pacing is controlled by what doors you open, and you are never cheated out of 'clearing an area'.  some of these are HUGE wide open arena-like spaces with a lot of shit happening at once.  but there is still the opportunity of small scale encounters in chambers and hallways, and the odd chance to thin out the hellish herd in the next room from a safe vantage point.  just like in the original.  

its a big, dumb, frenetic, shoot-everything-that-moves, classic FPS, yes.  but this game's greatest strength is that it lets you play SMART.  it has been crafted with a wonderful attention to balance.  

i was apprehensive about the RPG stuff — would it bog things down, or veer too far from the core DOOM feel?  not at all.  the UI (and that of the whole game) is a dream.  its very spartan and uncluttered.  weapon mod choices are nicely constrained.  one mod or the other on your right mouse button at any one time per weapon.  and none of these feel thrown in just because they look like cool — they are all tactically useful.  different tools for different jobs, in a context where the quirks of differing enemies actually create fertile circumstances to intelligently exploit them (rare!).  running gunning and funning.  yes, you just read that.

so far, the reimagined versions of original baddies are fairly true in spirit to the original.  imps for example fire faster than ever before, but their projectiles are still slow enough.  slow enough, that is, that in open areas with lots of enemies popping off shots from different angles you still have a lot of critical choices to make in the moment as to what ball of fire you will move away from or towards before you dodge or hurdle it, or decide where you should linger breifly to draw fire in order to set up another pocket of open ground.  its the frenetic bullet dodging equivalent of a classic side-scrolling shoot em' up but played out across layers of horizontal planes, in 3D.  and these new imps do unpredictable shit too, like leaping onto platforms and along railings like monkeys, feindishly lobbing their fire at you from above and below.  but here's the thing: the creators didnt go overboard.  these guys are still imps, and its awesome.

so far so very good...

no pung intended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users