• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I want to buy a booster/extender for my wireless modem but the booster(s) say they need WPS. Now, I checked my manual for my modem, and it does have WPS, but it is not a button that I can press. Can I buy a booster and have it work with my current wireless modem. Help much appreciated.

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

You might need to login into modem and turn on WPS there.

Cortana at your service

#3 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hi, I want to buy a booster/extender for my wireless modem but the booster(s) say they need WPS. Now, I checked my manual for my modem, and it does have WPS, but it is not a button that I can press. Can I buy a booster and have it work with my current wireless modem. Help much appreciated.

No you don't need WPS. WPS is wireless protected setup and is just a simple way of setting up a wireless client, It is also insecure and actually should be disabled if you live in a populous area.

http://www.howtogeek...uld-disable-it/

Now when you say you want a booster/extender exactly what do you mean?

Something to pick up an existing wireless signal and repeat it?

A wireless AP that can be connected back to the main router via Ethernet?

The first should be totally avoided if at all possible because it at least halves your wireless throughput speed.

The repeater also must have at least good reception with the main wireless router or it is going to drop out all the time.

So some more info on what you want to do is needed. Also what male and model is the current wireless router?

Ok so some assumptions. You want better WLAN reception in an area that currently has poor WLAN and this is all in one premises.

As mentioned the best solution by a long long way is to get an Ethernet cable run between main router and the poor WLAN area. Then connect an AP or router in AP/WAN bypass mode to the Ethernet point and set it up.

Second best by a fair way is to use Ethernet over Power (also called Homeplug or Powerline).

For an integrated wireless EoP setup this http://www.tp-link.c...WPA4220KIT.html kit will do the job.

The base unit connects to the base router via a short Ethernet lead and is plugged in to a power point (note do not plug in to a power board with surge protection or filtering).

The remote unit plugs in to a power point where you want wireless and then the units are paired. This gives you wireless and a LAN port at the client point, however the wireless on these units is probably not all that powerful so keep that in mind.

If you want to use your own wireless AP or router then

http://www.tp-link.c...PA4010PKIT.html

This pair works the same as the above kit but does not have a built in wireless AP so you connect your own AP or router in Wan bypass/AP mode to the cient EoP device.

The advantage of the second kit is that they have AC passthrough so other stuff can be plugged in to their AC socket.

Netcomm and D-Link also do similar units.

The disadvantages of EoP devices is their speed is affected by the condition of your local wiring and circuit breakers. They must also be behind the same power meter so no good between premises with different power meters. They can also be affected by some of the earth leakage circuit breakers. Only way to find out is to try them.

A long way last is the wireless extender/repeater setup, however if you need a link between separate buildings it is actually quite good providing you use the right hardware and right setup.

So as mentioned more info on what you want to do,

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

Here's a question.

Can you use WPS to do the initial connection on a device, then disable it for security?

Does it store the settings 'normally' so when you disable WPS its still fine?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,325 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

Here's a question.

Can you use WPS to do the initial connection on a device, then disable it for security?

Does it store the settings 'normally' so when you disable WPS its still fine?

Yep you can because WPS does not do continuous handshakes to the clients.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users