• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

Bit old news but no one has posted here yet.

As per the title and announced at the recent Build 2016 conference, Microsoft bought out Xamarin, the cross platform app development platform. They're including it free into all versions of Visual Studio, from Community (the free version) through to Enterprise.

Xamarin allows .NET developers to write apps for Apple and Android.  With Xamarin (it's been around for a few years) you can write the whole stack in .NET.  You can do some pretty cool stuff with Xamarin Forms - breaking away from the standard UI of both platforms - I know, I have.  

But it's still better to write in the native Java/Swift? - No.  IMO Swift is a pain in the arse language that's still changing too fast - breaking changes.  You're going to feel as much pain with Swift as you do Xamarin.  

With Xamarin you will still need a Mac to build your iOS app - so it doesn't cut it completely from the equation.

So anyway, if you're curious go grab a copy of VS Community (basically VS Pro, but for free) and give it a go.

#2 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

I'm actually really happy about this. I've got a few opensource projects that were written with Xamarin that I've wanted to tinker with. But I never wanted to pay for Xamarin. Now i can :)

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

I've been thinking about using VS2015 to write Windows 10 mobile apps, looks like I can port them into Android now too ... win.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users