Serf

• Lurker
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hi all,

First off, my PC specs:

- Windows 10, 64 bit

- 128GB SanDisk SSD (running OS)

- HDD #1 - 2TB Toshiba HDD (this currently has my gaming programs (Steam, GOG Galaxy, Origin, UPlay, etc.) on it and some music and movies)

- HDD #2 - 2TB Toshiba HDD (this just has primarily TV shows on it for streaming through Plex)

- 8GB ram

- Intel i5 3570 processor

- MSI Nvidia GTX 970

So I just bought a new WD Black 2TB HDD. My intention was to dedicate this drive to gaming, so move all my downloaded Steam games and all gaming applications to this drive, leaving the other 2TB hard drive (HDD #1) to be dedicated to movie storage.

I've installed a couple of hard drives before so have a reasonable understanding of what I am doing. My motherboard only has 2 SATAIII ports and 4 SATAII ports. I wanted to run the new WD HDD in a SATAIII port, figuring it will allow it to process data more quickly. I had to remove HDD #1 from a SATAIII port (the other SATAIII port taken by the SSD) and relocate it to a spare SATAII port. I then installed the new WD HDD into the now spare SATAIII port.

Once I booted up, the PC had no problem locating HDD #1. As usual I formatted the new drive to get it working as usual. So, so far I've only installed Steam and GOG Galaxy onto the new WD drive. I figured this is a quick drive so these programs should boot pretty quickly. Unfortunately I seem to be wrong, both of these programs take a few minutes to run from the new drive, where as when they were being booted from HDD #1 they were much much quicker.

My question is, after that run down of what I've done, have I made a mistake somewhere, or is there any reason this new drive seems to be booting my programs so slowly?

Thanks PC community in advance.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,743 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

Check that DMA is at its highest level on your controller.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

http://windows.micro...f#1TC=windows-7

Also, if all you've done is MOVE your steam folder, consider "Verify Steam Cache" as a solution. It basically 'reinstalls' any parts that are... wrong... (pointing to the wrong location, corrupted, bloated log files, etc).

Finally, try a SATA2 port. You wont notice the difference launching programs. You're not dumping live multi terabyte rainbow tables or something....

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,378 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

Might be a bad Sata port, try another.

Before doing that, download the "AS SSD benchmark" program.  Only need to run the "SEQ" test (untick others).

For that drive you should expect something like write speed of 75 Meg/sec, read of 150 Meg/sec (my Seagate equivalent gets about that on Sata 2).

Also, ensure the controller/drive isn't stuck in PIO mode.  You should be able to find it in Device Manager.

Finally, with your system it's better to run all drives in AHCI mode rather than IDE emulation, that setting is in the BIOS or EFI menus.  Changing it should be OK for modern Windows versions.

If that stuff doesn't work, find which controller it's on then uninstall it, reboot and let in reinstall then see if it performs better.

ed - also, worthwhile trying another Sata cable.

Edited by Rybags, 13 April 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yeah things to check

Dodgy SATA cable! Try a newer one in case the old is like SATA1

It's not in the PATA legacy mode in BIOS

Cortana at your service

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,378 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

I've had this but it was on the boot drive and accompanied by numerous BSODs while trying to get a Windows install going.

Turned out is was a bad Sata port on the board.

It's enormously helpful if you can try the drive in another computer, or externally by means of USB caddy.  But USB 2 will be much slower anyway so making it harder to deduce if it's the drive at fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users