Its a button

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

The Amazon page with reviews doesn't seem to mention if it works when in sleep mode (I should think it does).

Reviewers don't seem exactly impressed.  Plus it's probably not widely compatible.

Equally you could just build the same functionality into the volume buttons - mine already has double-press of Vol down when in sleep mode and it brings up the camera.

Though whether an app could do that or root + kernal modification needed, NFI.

The other complaint is lag.  I'm using Nova Launcher anyway which allows gestures which would probably be faster anyway.  To say nothing of the fact we have widgets and shortcuts that can be placed in convenient locations anyway.

The other problem is this thing creates an unwanted protrusion on the phone that's just going to get caught on things, not to mention you lose your mic/earphones (though for me, don't use it anyway).

I suppose this thing might be appealing to those paranoid phone owners who have to go through the security/verification frigmarole every time they resume their phone and want a quicker way to start common tasks.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Might not work on all phones well due to what Android you run. It might require a "rooted" phone.

Cortana at your service

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:35 AM

over 4 minutes of video to mention a secret button?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

over 4 minutes of video to mention a secret button?

That was the climax of the clip ,i thought opening of the box was the main event.

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,065 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:17 AM

I thought you of all people would want more content in an OP than a youtube link.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

Device is useless if you need to use headphones anyway

Cortana at your service

#8 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

I thought you of all people would want more content in an OP than a youtube link.

Their was no other way to explain it , its a button.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,956 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Its a very famous kickstarter, called 'Pressy'.

In fact, its probably one of the most famous recently. Due to the speed it got funded, and the simplicity of it.

There IS a way in most roms to tell it 'there are not headphones plugged in' but it'd be phone dependant.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

In fact, its probably one of the most famous recently. Due to the speed it got funded, and the simplicity of it.

There IS a way in most roms to tell it 'there are not headphones plugged in' but it'd be phone dependant.

i can guess locked down Androids like say Samsung ones might not allow that to work. Stock Android might work better.

Cortana at your service

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,956 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

i can guess locked down Androids like say Samsung ones might not allow that to work. Stock Android might work better.

No, there's normally a 'what do you have plugged in' section, so you can choose between a speaker or a headset (mic or not).

OFTEN but not always, there's a 'nothing' option, for just in case your phone gets faulty, or if you use a metal 'dust cover'.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Earphones are usually conditional for the radio to work, so chances are the OS maintains a flag of whether they're present.

As for the data transmission part... wonder is that just the device producing volume modulations which could be read as mic audio then interpreted as data or is there an actual data channel that only some phones provide.

Edited by Rybags, 19 April 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,065 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

Their was no other way to explain it , its a button.

Everyone else managed to explain it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users