• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

Getting some USB stick with the usb c ports on them for transferring data from main pc for backup purposes. Just wondering how is the best way to keep these sticks secure. Is their such thing as encryption for USB sticks from Windows7 to Win10?

Want to put highly sensitive data on one stick like bank accounts and medical info for moving. Trying to think what program i can use that is compatible with Windows10 too.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,099 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

-Windows bitlocker.

-ANY portable encryption software (used to be truecrypt, not sure whats standard now)

- WinRAR\WinZIP passwords. (weakness is they get to see the file name, but they cant extract the files without the password).

Me? I just keep my backup keys in a small safe.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,011 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

Some USB flash and hard drives come with encryption software included.

I'd go for Rar personally - just use a medium/high security password, ie mixed case with some numerics.

Easiest method - make a temp dir on the PC then make a copy of everything to go across.  Then Rar it with the password.  Keep a copy on the flashdrive, in fact keep a copy on your phone if it's not too big but ensure it's got the decent password.

What I wouldn't do is - rely on flash or optical media to contain the only copy of such data.  Or the only backup for that matter.  Magnetic storage way more trustworthy.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Them sandisk cruzer drives have 128bit AES encryption. Yes I know that's not exactly super strong encryption.

Is your Android and iOS WiFi on KRACK?

#5 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Them sandisk cruzer drives have 128bit AES encryption. Yes I know that's not exactly super strong encryption.

Is that sarcasm? :P

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#6 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

Is that sarcasm? :P

you see the price of them too ? you can buy a SSD and put in ext storage device for the same price.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sandisk stuff is never cheap!

Is your Android and iOS WiFi on KRACK?

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,011 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

Don't buy media based on included encryption software.

As for flash drives.  The price often doesn't reflect the capability.  Sandisk are guilty of that too.  They market the USB 3.0 "Ultra" flashdrives and the performance doesn't even warrant using the USB 3.0 interface.  The "Extreme" drives at slightly higher price point is where it's at.

I got lucky... Woolworths were getting rid of 16 Gig USB 3.0 drives for 2 bucks each.  Only 10 left at the time I saw them, grabbed the whole lot (they were the Hub brand ones though - not the best speed but still not too shabby and great value for the price).

Edited by Rybags, 18 April 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,210 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:10 AM

Best way to keep it secure is to not let other people access it physically.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,011 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

You do know why microSD cards were invented, don't you?

Just put several layers of Glad Wrap around it before inserting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users