26 replies to this topic

#1 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Just throwing it out there.

What is the top speed of a wireless router ?

Looking online, theoretical speeds and real world speeds can be confusing.

I have an NBN connection 25/5 but my wireless speed peeks at 12.6Mbps.

Is that a good wireless connection ?

I am not fussed if it is slow, just wondering as I am paying for a faster connection.

Thanks in advance.

TH.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

12.6 Megabits per second (note bits not bytes) is somewhat slow for modern Wifi.  But it varies depending on what standard, quality of signal (also consider interference), and how many devices are on the WLAN.

Note of course the connection between device and AP is limited to the capability of whichever is lower specced.

The wiki article has a table of expected top speeds https://en.wikipedia...802.11#Protocol

Also note with the earlier standards (before 802.11n) the entire bandwidth is divided among devices including the AP, and including upstream/downstream.

Whether your connection could be considered "good" - you'd need to compare it to a best case scenario given your current network topology. 

If you have an Android device, Wifi Analyser is a handy tool.  It can give a graph of available networks and has a channel view mode so you can see any overlap/contention that might be going on.

Edited by Rybags, 30 April 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

From the sounds of it, 12.6 megabytes/s = 100 megabit/s which is 802.11n which isn't slow but the faster standard is 802.11ac (150 to 1000 megabits/s) on 2.4Ghz band.

Cortana at your service

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

802.11n can go higher still but every chance a decent 'net connection can exceed what your Wifi is capable of when you consider the WLAN bandwidth being shared by a dozen clients.

But yep - a good idea would be to try and deduce best case speed by doing Speedtest with cabled connection and nothing else on the local network, prefereably during a quiet time.

Then you can guestimate if you're going to max out the Wifi capacity.  If so then try and run one or more devices cabled.  I've always just left my main machine that way, not much sense changing it given it's rarely more than a few feet from the router.

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

From the sounds of it, 12.6 megabytes/s = 100 megabit/s which is 802.11n which isn't slow but the faster standard is 802.11ac (150 to 1000 megabits/s) on 2.4Ghz band.

25/5 is bits, not bytes.  I figure he's comparing apples with apples.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:02 AM

Had a go at changing the settings on the router.
After a few tries I managed to get the same speed as cabled.
One day I will buy a better router with an AC connection.

Thank you for all your help.
TH.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Just think of Wifi as being a bit like the old token-ring.

When they first produced the standard there were plenty of weaknesses and shortcomings.

The fact it relied on the AP to hold the whole thing together is one of them.

But they're ironing some of them out, each newer standard tends to bring improvements aside from extra speed.

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

802.11g had range problems, 802.11n fixed that.

Cortana at your service

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Beam forming is probably the best development/addition to the standard in a while.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

I have a UniFi AP AC Lite, and I can honestly not tell the difference between wired and wireless any more.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

What's the latency on AC like? it was truly bad with 802.11G APS.

Cortana at your service

#12 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

Strange my little Tbook can pick up the wifi 4 rooms away with 3-4 bars on Wifi but downloading i get heaps of crc errors and speed drops to 10k/s. So does that mean something between wifi and Tbook is interfering with the signal?.

I got my PC which is right next to wifi ,got a washing machine and a fridge in the path. But when i move Tbook back into same room as Wifi source its back to same speed as my Adsl connection and no crc's.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#13 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

What's giving CRC errors?

Network connections are such that errors are expected even on wired and the normal course of things is that the operation is just retried, and such errors aren't echoed to the user.

#14 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

What's giving CRC errors?

Network connections are such that errors are expected even on wired and the normal course of things is that the operation is just retried, and such errors aren't echoed to the user.

No idea. On crc errors.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Fridges are 'noisy' he's probably the culprit.

But standard 'distance' will have the same effect. Pretty easy to test really, unplug the devices between the two momentarily, then see if the problem persists.

If it does, its just the effect of distance and walls.

If it doesnt, then your fridge and PC are electrically 'noisy'

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#16 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

It's worth doing a scan with something that gives channel readouts and strength.

e.g. Wifi Analyser for Android.

I have a neighbouring network that was overlapping with the channels my one was using so I changed it to use a free area.

#17 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if asbestos can interfere with Wifi signals? My room is built with this horrible stuff and strange when i moved my mobile phone on Wifi from out of my room the signal on 4g went higher and wifi maxed out. 

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Gee, the sooner you move out the better.

Cortana at your service

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Damn router modem reset when trying to activate wifi. Damn Windows Firewall activates telling me something was trying to change User data.

My little Tbook did a critical update ,thinking MS flooded my router with data forcing a reset. And it was 69 days since last reset ,damn broke the record of 75days.

#20 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

in my little Tbook its a 802.11 thing for wifi ,but on some sites it has n/b/ or something like that. Could it be a setup issue on the Tbook causing the crc errors.

In the actual Tbook i check MS for an updated driver but it says it was up to date. Still shows 2015 but a MS driver ,but in the actual Program Files Directory is a copy of Broadcom drivers for it. On the ASUS Transformer help forums it says to use Broadcom drivers but MS driver update will not recognise them.

I remember this used to happen on updating GPU drivers sometimes when you set up a new PC. But not sure if Win10 could blocking the update.

Thinking out aloud here ,maybe if i copy dir of Broadcom drivers on too a USB device and see if that works.

Only have a MS phone so i cannot get a Wifi diagnose thingy app to see if signal is the problem.

Looks like wifi is a big issue on these Transformer books going back to 2013 when first model was released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users