Photo

Laptop for Gaming

What specs needed?

Best Answer Nich..., 12 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

If money is an issue,  yes.  Desktop for games, tbook (or phone) for web when mobile.

If money isn't an issue, sure, but whatever you get is going to have less value than a non-mobile option.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Thinking of buying a Laptop for gaming over a PC box setup for usage.

Was in Brisbane Airport and noticed a guy playing WoW on a MSI laptop ,so it got me curious as are laptops getting better for gaming?

Screens looking clearer and sharper than desktop Screens in some occasions too.

Just wondering about heat dissipation in CPU and GPU cores and overheating. Do they overheat as much now.

As i only play game like Guild Wars 2 and maybe Star Trek online where these games run on updated graphics engines what should i be looking for? Not really into FPS games.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

You have AlienWare (Dell), ASUS and MSI mainly.

Cortana at your service

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

"Proper" gaming laptops will have a dedicated GPU, often a laptop variant of a current mainstream chipset.

The usual with generic laptops is graphics provided in chipset or CPU (aka APU).  I've not had a lot of experience with the CPU integrated graphics but I can give an example of my Macbook Pro which has an i7 2620M (Sandybridge, 2.7 GHz turbo @ 3.3) dual core with integrated HD3000 graphics.

I've done 3DMark 2006 runs in Win7 under VMWare, and the scores are nothing to get excited about.

Fair enough, it's probably losing 5-10% by running as a guest OS under OS-X but the score is 2,151. 

Compare that to an old dedicated gaming laptop (Asus F3J)  I've got here, running a Core2Duo T7400 @ 2.16 GHz.  It has a dedicated graphics chip (ATI X1700) but can manage a 3DMark 2006 score of around 2,100.

So, essentially the same score but the reality is the Asus whips the newer machine, the Macbook gets the higher score thanks to the much faster CPU.  So what we have is in essence a 6 year older machine with gaming intent being able to match it with the newer machine that has poxxy CPU generated graphics.

But as for what you choose to buy.  Depends on the games you want to play.  There are some games that aren't demanding and might run fine on APU or chipset graphics. 

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:34 AM

Are laptops better for gaming... than what?  For what?

The trick to laptop gaming is not to get a high res monitor.  Then even low end video cards can run native res.

I got a business laptop back in 2011, and it plays games like MMOs fine - core i5, AMD 6630 or something equally shit.  But laptop keyboards aren't really designed for gaming, so by the time you plug in a mouse and a keyboard... why are you using a laptop?  For me, it wasn't to game.  That was just to kill some time when travelling.

You're paying a very big premium to be gaming, at similar quality levels to a desktop.  You'd want to be sure that's worth it.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:57 AM

Power consumption is another issue.  The integrated type graphics use little, and usually not a great deal more when doing 3D.  Proper gaming card will use a lot.

Also the system will tend to be bulky.  Big monitor is usually part of the package.  Fat battery will be needed to give decent running time.

That aside, who plays 3D games out and about anyway?  LAN parties seem to be about dead.  And as Nich mentioned, add the proper keyboard and mouse to be able to play games properly... the portability takes another hit.

#6 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Was looking at some sites for buying a laptop why do they want paypal only ,kinda sucks when you have to open a paypal account.

Well i only really play certain types of games like GW2 and such the older type MMO's. My other game type is sim type games just put Sid Meier's Pirates on my PC still love it.

But they still seem pricey at around $3,000 i can buy a desktop system and a monitor ,laser printer and still have money left over.

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

It's the same reason why top end smartphones can cost over $1000, making things smaller costs money

Cortana at your service

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

You have AlienWare (Dell), ASUS and MSI mainly.

Gigabyte too.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Was looking at some sites for buying a laptop why do they want paypal only ,kinda sucks when you have to open a paypal account.

Well i only really play certain types of games like GW2 and such the older type MMO's. My other game type is sim type games just put Sid Meier's Pirates on my PC still love it.

But they still seem pricey at around $3,000 i can buy a desktop system and a monitor ,laser printer and still have money left over.

Put it like this.  You could spec a PC for under 2k that is going to blow the shit out of anything in a comparable price range that is mobile.

Why are you looking at anything that costs over $1500?  I mean, I'd say $1000, but who knows.  My laptop cost me $1k including extended 3 year warranty.

This is why they make big screened phones.  So you can have a phone and a laptop and not a tablet laptop hybrid.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Why are you looking at anything that costs over $1500?  I mean, I'd say $1000, but who knows.  My laptop cost me $1k including extended 3 year warranty.

Well most of my systems i built are desktop based ,so with Laptops not sure where to start for gaming. So i guess start at the highend and work my way down.

But what i am looking for in a laptop is a HDD and SDD combo for speed in loading. You buy a external DVD writer for around $100.

#11 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

You buy an external DVD writer - if you think you'll ever actually use it, literally the only reason I have one now is to rip music CDs to my PC - for less than $50.

It's probably cheaper, if you know what you're doing, to get a laptop with a single SSD or HDD, and an optical drive, and then convert the optical drive bay into something to house a more useful drive.

The real question is what you want the game to look like?  Most people with laptops are happy with turning settings down, because it's a temporary device.  They play on another PC and a bigger screen.  Also, I hear GW2 runs like shit no matter what hardware it's on.

#12 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

So as far as graphics is dedicated better over shared ?

By the sounds of what you are saying you build a gaming laptop from a crap laptop? Just need to look for a good GPU and CPU combo.

So in the world of Laptops what would be better than a GTX260 as i have now in my PC?

#13 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

You don't really "build" a laptop aside from ticking option boxes.

Also the graphics cards often don't have a direct equivalency.  e.g. the Asus I have has X1700 graphics but performance in relation to the desktop equivalent is somewhat dismal.

What causes this is that the graphics core will likely run somewhat slower than the desktop equivalent and sometimes be cut down in capability.

Add to that it's sharing the slow DDR2 with the CPU, equivalent desktop cards would have used GDDR3 and GDDR4 dedicated Ram, and more of it and usually over a 256 bit interface as compared to the laptop version which would be 64 or maybe 128 if in dual-channel mode.

#14 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

Might try something with this Asus TA100ha i got.

It has a the new Intel HD chipset for this year and a good sound chip. Only problem is storage and i think this is where the Micro SD may come in.

Having only 32gig Flash Storage but with Windows 10 and apps i am back to 20gig left and 2GB of ram.

If i can bump up the ram and storage by MicroSD then i might be able to try and put a client on this Transformer Book and see what its like.

The use that as base to buy a better laptop with same specs but a built in HDD or SDD.

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

http://gpuboss.com/g...GeForce-GTX-260 - that's apparently your current desktop GPU and my laptop's now 5 yr old GPU.

http://gpuboss.com/g...s-GeForce-940MX - that's your GPU vs a recent-ish mobile option.

http://gpuboss.com/g...GeForce-GTX-260 - that's probably not going to be found in anything that'll be cheap.

Dedicated vs shared doesn't make sense anymore because everything is shared.  Everything is switchable. 

You still haven't said why you want a laptop or where you'll use it or for what, so it's not like we can answer much or suggest much.  Do you want a big screen?  Because that usually means a higher resolution which means you need a better GPU.

I mean you want to turn your Atom based tablet hybrid into a gaming machine now.  It's slow as fuck, relatively speaking.  So maybe you're happy with minimal details and 15 fps.

#16 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

Ok why i think i want a laptop.

Most of the time i just play one game GW2 and maybe Sid Meier's Pirates. That is about it.

Other times i just browse the internet and use Facebook ,maybe watch a DVD. But on occassions i use my PC for spreadsheet with budgets and banking.

Do i really need a desktop system if i can get a portable system where i can take with me on Holidays or if i move.

I am not really a power user like with FPS games and such.

Those links make my PC like ancient it should have been dead and buried years ago. I suppose anything is better than what i have now.

Edited by codecreeper, 12 May 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#17 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

If you move, you pack a desktop back into it's shipping boxes and that's it.  I've moved a bunch of times, that's all I do.

If you go on holidays, you have a tablet/laptop, right?

A laptop to game on is all fine, but you're paying a very big premium for it.  You can probably do most of that stuff you listed on your transformer.  So you'd essentially be paying $1-2k to play... one, sometimes two, games?

#18 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Nich.

So you saying stick with a desktop and use the crappy Tbook for travelling.

Thinking about binning this Tbook is so slow ,might buy a Dell for under $1k.

#19 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,970 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:33 PM   Best Answer

If money is an issue,  yes.  Desktop for games, tbook (or phone) for web when mobile.

If money isn't an issue, sure, but whatever you get is going to have less value than a non-mobile option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users