• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

So, I've just got myself a beautiful new shiny gold Samsung S7 Edge.  Now I'm in the market for a smartwatch to go with it.

I'm currently tossing up between the Huawei Watch and the Samsung Gear S2 or S.  Happy to be convinced about a different one, but those kinda look nice.  The LG Urbane is nice looking too.

Concerns:

I'm a girl so a bigger screen size isn't necessarily better.  Any smartwatch is gonna look huge on me - so size is a bit of a factor.

Functionality - I'd like the fitness stuff since I'm doing a lot of that, but I don't want to give up the useful stuff.  If I wanted a fitness band I'd get one of those.  Useful for me is alarms and notifications as well as seeing my texts and appointments and telling the time!

Battery Life - must be more than a day of reasonable use.  I need to be able to get it on the charge in the evening.  If it has sleep tracking, charging might be an issue since I'll want to wear it while I sleep.  So in that case would probably need fast charge for in front of the TV. :P

Strength - I'm pretty tough on my jewellery, so tough is better. :)  Water resistant is crucial since I spend time with hands around water being a mum.

Design - don't want plastic crap.  Decent watch band (leather or steel) is better too.

That's probably it I think.

Hit me guys!

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#2 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,894 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

I cannot advise on a watch preference as I have no preference. I'm currently choosing

not to wear one ;)

I must however strongly advise against the wearing of any ornamentation whilst sleeping.

Doesn't matter whether it be a watch or favourite rings  for the hands or ears.

When sleeping the body is a dead weight and any ornamentation worn inhibits blood flow and stops the body from

fully relaxing into sleep as it should. Plus some jewellery is hollow and your sleeping dead weight will squash it :)

Edited by eveln, 16 May 2016 - 05:31 PM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#3 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hmmm.  I've worn jewellery to bed almost my entire life.  A bracelet since I was a toddler.  Earrings since I was 12.  Rings since my teens.  More bracelets, necklaces.  The works.

Has never bothered me.  I've never heard about not wearing stuff to bed.  I've been wearing a garman fit tracker to record my sleep for about 18 months now as well.  It's actually really useful.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#4 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,894 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

Yes, same here. Then someone I knew some decades ago now ( whose bias was fine jewellery ) became a bit

irate when I happen to mention that I slept with my special pieces close to me, ie; I was wearing them to bed.

As an aside, they also put it to me that my rest would be that much better not being entwined in metal and stuff. I decided

to test this theory. Once I'd discovered a decent hidy-hole for my precious pieces - it took a while to secure them

in a way that allowed me to concentrate on sleep :D - but yes I find it so much more relaxing and yeah decades later

I sleep au naturale...

/end derail ... back to watch choice please.

Edited by eveln, 16 May 2016 - 06:01 PM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#5 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

I am hearing Fitbit Blaze is the top of the ladder as far as ratings. Its got everything in it.

You may want to look at some Youtube's and check out the reviews.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

Are there any standalone watches yet, or do they all have to be tethered off a conventional mobile?

You'd reckon they should be able to get the guts of a phone into the size of some of these talkbands.

huawei-talkband-b2-hands-on-sg-10-600x32

#7 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

Are there any standalone watches yet, or do they all have to be tethered off a conventional mobile?

You'd reckon they should be able to get the guts of a phone into the size of some of these talkbands.

huawei-talkband-b2-hands-on-sg-10-600x32

Samsung seem to either have or are coming with a standalone watch that incorporates a nano sim.

I haven't seen any others though.

I don't actually mind using my phone for most of the bits and pieces.  I'll happily use it instead of the watch.  But it's handy to be able to glance at your wrist for notifications and information sometimes. :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

I reckon the smart future move will be that the watch holds the SIM and the phone becomes the addon.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

Pebble Time Steel:

http://www.cnet.com/...ble-time-steel/

Fitbit Surge:

https://www.fitbit.com/au/surge

(protip: Cashconverters WebShop must have gotten some excess 'new' stock, they're selling a bunch of these for $199-$250)

Huawei Band

https://www.target.c...CFQQZvAodUsYKgg

Or if you're well off:

W1

https://www.mobileci...CFYKZvAodl3YJjg

Asus ZenWatch 2

http://www.wareable....nwatch-2-review

Take your pick :)

They're all pretty good, some are 'mini computers' where as some are 'notifiers only' (Fitbit Surge) with a focus on Fitness.

I'd wager with the hundrds of apps and watch faces, the pebble time steel still holds the crown.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 17 May 2016 - 08:54 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Scythe's recommendations are good, and since you don't have an iPhone, I'll throw in a suggestion for the Microsoft Band 2.

If you were on iPhone, Apple Watch all day long.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#11 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,498 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

Officeworks have Pendo X1 for $78.  The specs don't exactly look great but it seems better than the Huawei one.

#12 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Officeworks have Pendo X1 for $78.  The specs don't exactly look great but it seems better than the Huawei one.

The battery life isn't great or the screen resolution compared to the Huawei one.  Not sure about the build quality either...

I'm currently tossing up between the Galaxy Gear S2 Classic and the Huawei Watch.

I've realised that probably the most important feature is gonna be water resistance, so it looks like it's gonna be the Gear S2 as the Huawei isn't water resistant.

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 19 May 2016 - 10:12 PM.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

The battery life isn't great or the screen resolution compared to the Huawei one.  Not sure about the build quality either...

I'm currently tossing up between the Galaxy Gear S2 Classic and the Huawei Watch.

I've realised that probably the most important feature is gonna be water resistance, so it looks like it's gonna be the Gear S2 as the Huawei isn't water resistant.

Pebble, trust me on this.

Pebble.

The only exception would be if you want heart rate, in which case fitbit surge HR.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

Pebble, trust me on this.

Pebble.

The only exception would be if you want heart rate, in which case fitbit surge HR.

Looking at both of those, the only problem I see with them is they really do look... ugly.

The Surge really just looks like a fit band.  It has no access to apps which is something I want.

The Pebble is better, but it's still an ugly sucker.  It reminds me of the Casio watches from the 80s. :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#15 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hoi, I still have my old Casio watch! OK I need to put a battery in it ... but I don't need it these days

Cortana at your service

#16 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hoi, I still have my old Casio watch! OK I need to put a battery in it ... but I don't need it these days

LOL.  TELL me it isn't the one that has a calculator on the face! :P

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

https://www.pebble.c...teel-smartwatch

the classic pebble steel is VERY classy, I didnt need colour or 'apps' beyond what people have already made for the watch.

I use it for notifications, reading emails or txt's at red lights, and controlling music.

Trust me, basically all the other features are gimmics.

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

No, I had one of those calculators too.

Edited by Jeruselem, 20 May 2016 - 12:30 PM.

Cortana at your service

#19 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Actually saw a nice Huawei watch today from a stand in our local mall. Looks more like a gents watch ,could not see a ladies version.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#20 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,409 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Ladies smart watches don't seem to really exist. Which is why I want a nice looking watch as well.

Apparently the smart watch market is a tad skewed. :p

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users