26 replies to this topic

#21 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I have been give a D'link DSL-2890AL Modem from a friend.

Currently have NBN, will this unit work with NBN.

IT is still in a sealed box, might just have to try it I guess.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this modem.

TH.

Edited by Triggerhappy, 21 October 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

It doesn't do VDSL, so if you planned on that, no.

It does however let Ethernet-4 be turned into a WAN port, so if you've got FTTH, then it will be able to integrate with the "Client End Point" provided by the NBNco.

If you like its wireless performance, it can do Bridge mode, so you can still use it :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

If it's this

http://www.dlink.com...l2-modem-router

"NBN/UFB Ready"

Looks like a Mac Pro a bit!

Cortana at your service

#24 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

DLink in my experience are pretty poor performing and I wouldn't go out and buy another one.  Though for free you may as well give it a go.

What I found is they bog down with lots going on, e.g. Torrents.  I found if you gave it more than about 25% of your up or download capability it'd often just kill browsing almost totally.  Entirely possible it was the number of connections that was the problem and not the actual bandwidth being used.  As comparison a HTML or FTP download using a big chunk of your bandwidth had much less effect.

By comparison with this current Netgear jobbie, I can give 80% bandwidth to torrenting and it barely affects other stuff.

#25 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

DLink in my experience are pretty poor performing and I wouldn't go out and buy another one.  Though for free you may as well give it a go.

What I found is they bog down with lots going on, e.g. Torrents.  I found if you gave it more than about 25% of your up or download capability it'd often just kill browsing almost totally.  Entirely possible it was the number of connections that was the problem and not the actual bandwidth being used.  As comparison a HTML or FTP download using a big chunk of your bandwidth had much less effect.

By comparison with this current Netgear jobbie, I can give 80% bandwidth to torrenting and it barely affects other stuff.

So, what would you call a good wireless router ?

#26 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

So, what would you call a good wireless router ?

If you need a router: Billion, FritZ, TP-Link, Netcomm

If you need an access point only, Ubiquity, CISCO, some of the Dlink "Archer" series (google tests).

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#27 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,332 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

The DSL-2890AL is actually supposed to be quite good with pretty good wireless. Your torrent problem sounds like an improperly configured client in that you are probably flooding the NAT table of the router or flooding your bandwidth.

For the cheaper router you must keep global max connections to under 100. Also to stop clagging things up limit up and down bandwidth to 80% or less of your actual connection speed.

I am continually fixing this stuff for people who seem to think setting everything to unlimited (0) will somehow magically make things happen faster, when the opposite is true.

If you need a router: Billion, FritZ, TP-Link, Netcomm

If you need an access point only, Ubiquity, CISCO, some of the Dlink "Archer" series (google tests).

Gawd no on the Netcomm. You have to limit yourself to very specific models as they have had a lot of completely useless units over time.

Such crap as the NF1ADV which came and went quick smart, followed by the fractionally better but still crap NF3ADV. In the current crop the NF10WV seems to almost completely useless.

However their NF17ACV is looking promising.

I know all manufacturers have their good and bad models but Netcomm seems to be on a roll for bad products of late. A few years back I would have said the same about D-Link but the seem to be finally pulling their socks up.

Fritz on the whole seem ok (I use one on NBN Fixed Wireless and manage several more on NBN FTTP and NBN FW). Internal antenna models are a bit short on wifi range and they sometimes make really dumb errors in firmware updates but on the whole not too bad.

Not good for long or noisy ADSL lines though.

TP-Link despite the cheap price, seem ok for budget units. Limited range of options in the firmware but the Broadcom chipset DSL modems will hang on to a connection like grim death.

Add Open-Mesh an Mikrotik to the AP list, depending on requirements and desire to learn and play with settings.

Going back to codes original post

And it seems Telstra are the only ones who can guarantee speeds of 16mb/s down to 8mb/s.

Other ISP's barely scrape the 1500/256 speed and same price ,even poor old Internode cannot promise anything suitable for gaming.

It seems he has been drinking the Telstra coolaid as the speed guarantee is complete and utter bullshit pushed by their sale steam.

As for the other ISPs being limited to 1500/256, yes some actually only sell up to that speed, using artificial speed limits on the connection (although I thought these sorts of plans had mostly disappeared), but others will happily resell Telstra Wholesale supplied DSL at exactly the same speed as what Telstra can supply. After all it's all on the same copper run to the premises.

At least Internode where being honest and not promising something that no ISP can guarantee to deliver, not even Telstra retail.

Edited by aliali, 29 October 2016 - 10:02 AM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users