Photo

When will I ever make the switch? (Never?)

ubuntu linux amd

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

Haven't seen a Linux desktop since KDE 3.2.

Haven't used a Linux desktop since then either.

But Linux servers? All the time. Headless Ubuntu and CentOS are the staples of my IT diet.

"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Haven't seen a Linux desktop since KDE 3.2.

Haven't used a Linux desktop since then either.

But Linux servers? All the time. Headless Ubuntu and CentOS are the staples of my IT diet.

You'd be impressed I think.

Ubuntu's new 'UNITY' shell feels like OSX to the end user.

Programs they are (quite probably) familiar with are pre-loaded, driver compatibility is almost perfect these days, and they have a 'launcher' bar down the side, which behaves almost identically to the apple dock bar.

For Elderly people, or even kids who do "Online Only" activities, its priceless! Truly plug and play.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

I had Ubuntu installed on a previous machine... I loved that it turned my old shitbox back into a useful machine, so I put it on my *new* machine. That did not go so well - driver problems galore, and looking up fixes for things turned into a nightmare cycle of google/edit/recompile/"fuck, what broke this time?"

Given that most of what I do on these things is at least half gaming, messing about with Linux just is not worth the stress for me.

Drivers are alway an issue, at least with commercial OSes they release drivers or well ... semi-compatible drivers, for pure Linux, good luck with new hardware.

Only issue I've had was with ATI which took a bit of fiddling.

Reinstalled OpenSUSE LEAP 42.1 on my desktop last weekend.

Asus Maximus viii hero and a 980ti... not one issue.

#24 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

I think nVidia are pretty good with Linux drivers, well they make Android devices too.

• Xen likes this

Cortana at your service

#25 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Personally i have a massive investment in Windows and i will most likely never move over to Linux as my daily driver on my primary machine. My laptop runs Ubuntu and it's what I take with me when i travel. But my primary desktop is Windows based and I Don't think that will ever change.

With that being said all of my "server" stuff at home is running on Linux (Ubuntu server). I get free Windows server licenses through work, but to be honest it's just so much easier to fire up a new Linux server if your application supports it. No license stuff, takes up very few resources and storage space. For me it's a massive win.

Example of my "server" stuff

* Media Center

* Owncloud

* Confluence

* Gitlab

* PFSense

To summarize, I love working with Linux, but like everything else in IT it's a tool and you have to use the best tool for that job!

Edited by smakme7757, 16 June 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#26 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Funny the it guy waa playing with clear os 7 linux for monitoring gateway internets. Loading clear os 7, easy. Installing the gateway monitoring addon? Err, didn't work that well.

Cortana at your service

#27 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

Funny the it guy waa playing with clear os 7 linux for monitoring gateway internets. Loading clear os 7, easy. Installing the gateway monitoring addon? Err, didn't work that well.

Yeah, we can only hope DOCKER takes off. We might finally have a 'universal EXE file format' for Linux.....

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#28 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, we can only hope DOCKER takes off. We might finally have a 'universal EXE file format' for Linux.....

It kinda installed but getting the stupid addon to function ... nope! For some reason that addon had it's own **** password file too.

Cortana at your service

#29 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

While I'm not surprised that linux isn't the best choice for some of you. I am quite surprised by the complaints about drivers, I now find the driver situation on Linux much better than for Windows.

I'm using Arch Linux on two machines and Mythbuntu 16.4 on the media center at home.

I can't remember the last time I even thought about drivers on linux, though admittedly I don't buy bleeding edge Motherboards or Graphics cards.

In fact my Canon flatbed scanner which hasn't worked under Windows since 64bit arrived, 'works out of the box' under linux. As do my TV tuner cards and every other device I own, every diver I have needed for years has been compiled into the kernel by default. The only driver I've needed to install manually in quite a few years was the Brother printer driver. (I suppose there is always an exception to prove every rule.)

On the upside, what I love about linux is :

• the lack of 'tag along crapware' trying to install itself when you install software
  • the consistency of distro repositories and especially the pacman package manager on Arch
  • the smaller target linux based OS's present to malware
  • not needing to concern myself with licences and serials
  • the OS and all the software I need is freeware
  • the Open Source and Free Software communities
  • no Windows Registry

That last is important, I prefer human readable text configuration files that I can understand and edit with confidence.

As for Docker - It probably has a place in some limited way but there are problems with that approach also.  I prefer distro specific packages maintained for that distro by package maintainers.

Here's some reading http://kmkeen.com/ma...tter/index.html

Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

I get the 'problems with docker', but really, they need to be accepted.

The one thing, and IMO the only thing stopping people who want to 'try and move' is finding software.

Ubuntu went one step better and built an 'app store' for their software (based on APTITUDE) but still....

Until people can click "Download for Linux" and have it just work, it'll be unappreciated.

Even if it was just ALL DEBIAN, that's be a HUGE leap toward fixing the separatist feeling.

#31 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

I think it's an SDK issue - there's apps for Windows, Android and Mac OS/iOS/mac whatever because the SDK kits just work and you can build for that platform.

Building an app for linux? Might not work with every version of Linux ...

Cortana at your service

#32 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

Latest version of Ubuntu seem to have removed AMD/ATI catalyst drivers probably due new incompatibilities surfacing.

Cortana at your service

#33 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

I think it's an SDK issue - there's apps for Windows, Android and Mac OS/iOS/mac whatever because the SDK kits just work and you can build for that platform.

Building an app for linux? Might not work with every version of Linux ...

GTK

Java

HTML5

Python

the list goes on really.

I'd wager a good 75% of programs can be happily ported.

A good rule to remember is that OSX is Darwin Unix beneath, anything on OSX should be a couple of switches to get working on *nix

#34 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

Isn't that some kinda ubuntu thing which might not be even taken up by other distros?

Cortana at your service

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

Isn't that some kinda ubuntu thing which might not be even taken up by other distros?

nnnnnnnOPE!

https://www.docker.com/

#36 ROUBOS

ROUBOS

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hi again,

well today I thought of trying again so that I can start learning Python. I thought of trying to install linux again.

Tried latest Ubuntu, SUSE and Mint.

I could run them using Virtualbox but without any hardware acceleration.

I could not even run the LiveCDs as I got graphics glitches and the screen is not readable. I guess I could go ahead an read on forums etc. and try and find a solution, but to be honest I could not be bothered. Sick of doing that.

Why can't we just have things work out of the box in computers?

I would need to purchase a new PC in order to run Linux... :( Either an Intel APU, or with an Nvidia Gpu.

OR I could just forget about it for some time again and just run Python under win10

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz, 16MB, 125W, PIB Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 AM3+ AMD970 ATX Corsair HX SERIES 650W POWER SUPPLY Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT Edition with Boost, 2GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 - X2 (16GB all up) OCZ Vector SSD Dell U2412M 16:10 IPS monitor Logitech G105 keyboard Tt esports by thermaltake mouse ASUS xonar sound card Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers

#37 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hi again,

well today I thought of trying again so that I can start learning Python. I thought of trying to install linux again.

Tried latest Ubuntu, SUSE and Mint.

I could run them using Virtualbox but without any hardware acceleration.

I could not even run the LiveCDs as I got graphics glitches and the screen is not readable. I guess I could go ahead an read on forums etc. and try and find a solution, but to be honest I could not be bothered. Sick of doing that.

Why can't we just have things work out of the box in computers?

I would need to purchase a new PC in order to run Linux... :( Either an Intel APU, or with an Nvidia Gpu.

OR I could just forget about it for some time again and just run Python under win10

Ubuntu give you two CD's.

"Normal" and "Alternative".

The Alternative is for those with oddball hardware to try.

I have a fairly new X99 motherboard (with a chipset not officially supported) and an AMD HD7970; Ubuntu original CD boots straight out of the box.

Im not sure which oddball hardware you're running :P

Its possible you've used a brand that isn't reference design?

Its like asking windows to run without drivers.

#38 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,517 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

I'll be getting my normal laptop back from my parents (the one with the SSD) and then putting the crap from my netbook on it, then wiping the netbook and putting Peppermint on that when I have time. The laptop has Win 8.0 x64, will be putting Win 10 on that using the 8.0 license.

Edited by Jeruselem, 19 September 2016 - 12:09 PM.

Cortana at your service

#39 ROUBOS

ROUBOS

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Im not sure which oddball hardware you're running :P

Its possible you've used a brand that isn't reference design?

Its like asking windows to run without drivers.

Well my hardware is listed in my signature. GPU = Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT Edition with Boost, 2GB

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz, 16MB, 125W, PIB Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 AM3+ AMD970 ATX Corsair HX SERIES 650W POWER SUPPLY Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT Edition with Boost, 2GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 - X2 (16GB all up) OCZ Vector SSD Dell U2412M 16:10 IPS monitor Logitech G105 keyboard Tt esports by thermaltake mouse ASUS xonar sound card Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers

#40 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

Besides the CPU, we're not that different.

My old card was a 7850 which was a plug and play in Ubuntu.

I wonder why you're having such issues.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ubuntu, linux, amd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users