• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 komuso

komuso

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

As many of you would know, I've been playing shakuhachi (Japanese traditional bamboo flute) for a good while now. I recently mentioned on here that I obtained my master license earlier this year, and around the same time, recorded a duet with my teacher, Kaoru Kakizakai, for his next CD. I don't know if the CD is available yet, but I thought I'd just post up a link to the recording for the ears of the Atomic community! 

The piece is called Shika no Tone ('the cry of distant deer'). It's a traditional piece from the repertoire that is associated with the Zen Buddhist roots of shakuhachi playing, known as honkyoku ('fundamental pieces'), and is one of the only duets in that repertoire.

Link

#2 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

My ears are thanking you muchly.

Between the constant rain and Walt tanking on the PS4, it's a bit noisy round here ...but I fully intend on a second and third listen.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#3 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

many thanks

will admire more tomorrow out on the recently upgraded sound set up in the lounge room

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#4 Matt Ingle

Matt Ingle

Charge

• Atomican
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:44 AM

This is awesome! I would love to sample some of this is some epic trance break down! :D

#5 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:32 AM

Loved it, I am glad Eva called me over to listen. Thank you for sharing your art with us komuso. :-)

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#6 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,669 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

Nice one, komuso. That sounds fantastic.

Spine tingling!

This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#7 komuso

komuso

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

Glad it was enjoyed! Thanks for listening.

The long, quiet practice continues....

#8 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hah ! Was just having 'nother listen ... it's easing my present state of tiredness.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#9 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

This I like.

Thank you kind sir/madam (I'm not sure which you are)

:)

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

#10 komuso

komuso

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

Thanks RM! I be a male.

Another music person was asking me about this piece this week, and they found the notation interesting, so I thought I would post up an example. First page:

shika_zpsnesmbezm.jpg

This piece was first notated in the 1700s, but it was transmitted orally before that, originating from a temple in Nagasaki. Shakuhachi music originally derived from a type of religious chant called shomyo, and shared some structural similarities, but modern version of pieces usually remove many repeated phrases for a more compact and interesting performance. I know one piece that goes for an hour and five minutes; obviously that one gets less requests  (:

Edited by komuso, 08 July 2016 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users