6 replies to this topic

#1 slimdog360

slimdog360

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

Hi guys,

I've dabbled around a bit in game development in the past, but have found some of the guides and documentation less than ideal. Before I was using Löve2d, but the tutorials are lacking a bit.

So, do you develop games? What tools do you use? Do you prefer to use a full featured prebuilt engine like unitiy or unreal, or do you prefer something simple?

I'm just curious to see what others are using.

Nick

I for one welcome our new chicken overlord.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

Last time I programmed anything more complex than the PVR it was a game (setting for NWN2 - abandoned*). Last time I did anything original was also a game - in 1993. At that time, there were no engines available to the public - you wrote your own.

*I came to the conclusion long ago that I do not have the imagination to make a cohesive story. And I was an unremarkable coder, too.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

I didn't keep up to date beyond the late 80s with game programming.

Though I have done recent projects mostly on old gear and largely with conversion, modifying, improving old games.

Wouldn't mind getting into modern stuff but there's shitloads to learn and when it comes to solo projects, you're really not making anything much more complex than might have been done on an Amiga anyway... or maybe PS1 if you're really pushing it.

#4 Mr.Twinkie

Mr.Twinkie

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

I definitely want to as I like to get to how anything works behind the scenes if I love it enough say music or film. Games is probably one of the few things where I still haven't got a chance to know how to make it.

What should a newbie do to learn some proper game developing? Coding? Some sort of good APK or creation software?

PC Specs: ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe | i7 860 | R9 390 | Corsair TX-750W | 4GB G-Skill Ripjaws + 8GB Corsair Dominator | Antec 902 Case | ASUS MG279Q IPS Freesync Monitor

My momma always said I was special.

#5 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

Last time I programmed anything more complex than the PVR it was a game (setting for NWN2 - abandoned*). Last time I did anything original was also a game - in 1993. At that time, there were no engines available to the public - you wrote your own.

*I came to the conclusion long ago that I do not have the imagination to make a cohesive story. And I was an unremarkable coder, too.

you make some pretty decent skyrim mods :P and like I said, i'm sure if you wanted to you could just ask atomic and put together a team to develop a game, I reckon having a Race Around Atomic: The Game would be pretty cool :D

I definitely want to as I like to get to how anything works behind the scenes if I love it enough say music or film. Games is probably one of the few things where I still haven't got a chance to know how to make it.

What should a newbie do to learn some proper game developing? Coding? Some sort of good APK or creation software?

me personally I like to mod games right now, but even if you don't want to stay with modding i'd still recommend starting with simple mods for some games like minecraft (for java), factorio (for lua), and maybe even skyrim (for making cybes look old :P)...but yeah doing tutorials and learning code was a good start for me but I only really started to "learn" so to speak when I started modding, and using said knowledge i've programmed basic text based "type yes to win the game: the rpg" games :P

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

you make some pretty decent skyrim mods :P

me personally I like to mod games right now, but even if you don't want to stay with modding i'd still recommend starting with simple mods for some games like minecraft (for java), factorio (for lua), and maybe even skyrim (for making cybes look old :P)

Flatterer. ;p  That was just paying - nothing even worthy of a Nexus entry.

And you can also mention Space Engineers for in-game C# scripting.  (And Skyrim doesn't even register for 'old'.  Hell, even the few things I made for Morrowind are closer to current than the stuff that makes me feel old. ;p)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#7 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

you make some pretty decent skyrim mods :P

me personally I like to mod games right now, but even if you don't want to stay with modding i'd still recommend starting with simple mods for some games like minecraft (for java), factorio (for lua), and maybe even skyrim (for making cybes look old :P)

Flatterer. ;p  That was just paying - nothing even worthy of a Nexus entry.

And you can also mention Space Engineers for in-game C# scripting.  (And Skyrim doesn't even register for 'old'.  Hell, even the few things I made for Morrowind are closer to current than the stuff that makes me feel old. ;p)

praise well deserved ;)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game dev, game development, game, games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users