33 replies to this topic

#1 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

so, should i bother ?

i have a whole lot of desktops (4 family ones and the htpc) running win7 happily, and quite apart from the pain of being sysop for a new o.s. if i change all their ones, there's more than slight paranoia about the whole cortana / edge spying on me and opening my wifi with a certain lack of discretion i find unappealing

so i toyed with backup (macrium reflect) of win 7 and a trial install to activate an upgrade and roll back if i choose otherwise, but between reports of 10, and complete disinterest in win8's interface, i think by the time 7 dies a natural death i will much happier using linux for most everything i do, and anything needing windoze specifically might end up on a small laptop continuing to run 7 in quarantine

the advertising and flash stuff in 8 was a real disincentive, as is the "live streak" and fuck ugly interface; the imperative to re-establish where controls for stuff are situated means i may as well finally get into linux, which i already understand somewhat, and can "flavour" as win 7 for the rest of the team with only one that might actually notice the difference straight up, and another complain because they "need" m$office for school (even though open office would do fine)

i remember well how 7 attempted to kill my canoscan lide 35 scanner because there were no drivers (there were, but i had to use a hack to make it appear as a lide 60, and it worked better than previously); i fear for some obscure stuff like the logging altimeter for my discus launch glider, and i wonder about the quality of my xonar sound cards under "non-mainstream" o.s.; drivers for 10 on older cards will be problematic i reckon

thanks for your counsel before the cut-off for free 10 by late this month... is the hassle of upgrade / roll-back worth the time and effort (versus ~ $100 per licence much later if i care to do so) ?

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

I was thinking of allowing something to update to it.

Problem is - I can't stand the metro tile thing or the look of metro apps.  I also don't see the point of touchscreen interface for anything bigger than a tablet or dedicated "convertible" portable.

I've got a couple of applications that have the Win10 look and feel (WinZip and Adobe Reader).  It's somewhat ugly and cheap looking.

For me, Win7 has the nice "organic" look and feel.  The only reason to upgrade is the fact support is being removed.

#3 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

I really liked Win7. It was my favourite version of Windows... until 10.

Upgrade one and see how you find it. As far as finding settings, TBH... just type it into the start menu and it'll find it.

As far as upgrading the network and rolling back, just to have the licence for free?

Get one computer, download the full things using the downloader, and just keep installing it. When it asks for a key, use the Win7 key for some other computer. Rinse repeat. Over and over. Then you only have one PC to rollback. May or may not work in a VM.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#4 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

I wanna know, once the free-upgrade is no longer available, will that put an end to the critical update?

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#5 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

I wanna know, once the free-upgrade is no longer available, will that put an end to the critical update?

I assume you mean critical updates for Win 7?

So long as you have SP1 installed critical updates will be produced until January 14, 2020.

https://support.micr...ycle-fact-sheet

Edited by aliali, 11 July 2016 - 09:11 AM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#6 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

I meant the "critical update" that installs Win10. (on Win7 and 8.1)

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

We found the way to disable that, in our business, was to enter new invalid keys in the windows licensing.

We own licences, no problem, but the GWX tool isn't forced onto pirated machines :D

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Why not blacklist the GWX updates in WSUS? (You ARE using WSUS aren't you?)

I know you're all about jury rigged backdoor solutions, but Microsoft's tools specifically allow for this.

You can even use WSUS without any AD infrastructure in place*, it's a role within Server 2008r2 and above.

* (Although having it means you can configure clients silently by GPO)

Edited by SquallStrife, 11 July 2016 - 10:40 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Why not blacklist the GWX updates in WSUS? (You ARE using WSUS aren't you?)

I know you're all about jury rigged backdoor solutions, but Microsoft's tools specifically allow for this.

You can even use WSUS without any AD infrastructure in place*, it's a role within Server 2008r2 and above.

* (Although having it means you can configure clients silently by GPO)

Nope, Its not my call to make.

WSUS will be rolling out within the next 6 months.

Server 2003 seems to be holding us back with the deployment. As do XP devices.

We used to only allow Critical updates to install, but apprently windows 10m became critical.

That took weeks of manual restores to remove from a few machines.....

Edited by Master_Scythe, 11 July 2016 - 10:45 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

We've just about removed all unnecessary pre-Windows 7 machines now.

All new ones are Windows 10.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

> business

> WSUS ... next 6 months.

I don't even.

Server 2003 seems to be holding us back with the deployment. As do XP devices.

Pfft. WSUS 3.0 can be deployed to Server 2003 SP1 or later. You can run WSUS outside the domain environment, and provision updates to systems running Windows 2000 or later.

I worry about what will happen if you ever end up in an organisation where IT isn't a fucking rodeo! :P
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#12 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

Yep after the free upgrade period is up one of the subsequent windows updates should remove the GWX crap.

In the meantime GWX control panel can block it etc.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

#13 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

Yep after the free upgrade period is up one of the subsequent windows updates should remove the GWX crap.

In the meantime GWX control panel can block it etc.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

been using gwx control panel since i discovered it last year

now i'm uncertain if i want 10, as  can't envisage it benefiting me a great deal, and can easily predict a big learning slope

by the time win7 is defunct, we'll probably be at winfinity

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#14 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

What I've seen so far I don't much like.

It's like they try to capture the look/feel of a tablet except worse.

Unnecessarily large text in some places, yet still smaller than it should be in most others.

Removal of graduated colour and replacing with loud primary colours.  Window buttons and gadgets look cheap, nice stuff like rounded edges to things taken away.

In some ways it reminds me of the old Dos applications that had that attempted windowed look.  Except in this case, deja vu isn't wanted.

Control Panel still seems wrong.  First thing I do on a Win7 install is just have it list the items instead of classify them.

But that's modern computing.  Change for the sake of saying something is new.  Doesn't matter that new might mean slower, more annoying to use, less good to look at.

#15 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:33 PM

been using gwx control panel since i discovered it last year

now i'm uncertain if i want 10, as  can't envisage it benefiting me a great deal, and can easily predict a big learning slope

by the time win7 is defunct, we'll probably be at winfinity

I have gone to Win10 as I have to support people using it, along with 7, Vista, a few XP users (still) and the odd MAC OS user. Sometimes does my head in trying to keep everything straight.

There is not a huge amount of difference between 7 and 10, but there is some, and I think the 10 "start menu" actually works better in some ways. However for once I agree with Rybags. The Metro Apps are shite, especially the mail app. It's so limited and cut down it's useless except for the most basic of tasks.

I suppose it's fine if you are used to tablet style mail apps (especially windows tablets) but I have happily stuck with Thunderbird for email, VLC and MPC-HC for video and Foobar for music.

#16 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

W10 > W8.x < W7

I'm mixed on the upgrade. Use W10 at work and one laptop at home, my main PC still runs W7, but will go to W10 when the next hardware update occurs.

It doesn't seem to offer anything besides being a better solution for long term security patches - I haven't found a single real feature worth upgrading for.

I've decided not to upgrade my parents' laptop to W10 because the greater rate of updates will kill their pre-paid 3G data at an unacceptable rate, generally updating useless features they have no interest in.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#17 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

The way I see it, it's a mix of "how they should have done it in the first place" and planned obsolescence of otherwise just fine middle-aged hardware thanks to the roadmap which sees plenty of stuff falling off the support radar.

The PC market has been somewhat stagnant given the slowdown in hardware advances and the fact plenty of people have paid more attention to smartphones and tablets.  What better way to invigorate it than to convince everyone that much of what they currently own will be useless in the near future.

#18 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

Best features of Win10 over Win7:

better UI for copying/moving files (shows speed on a graph, allows pausing)
better access to important tools previously hidden away in the admin tools subfolder of the start menu, aka win+x aka right clicking the start button
task manager is also really useful for tracking shit now

I use that stuff everyday.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#19 rs727

rs727

Master

• Atomican
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

he Metro Apps are shite, especially the mail app. It's so limited and cut down it's useless except for the most basic of tasks.

And that's why you can still use thunderbird or whatever else takes your fancy for your emailing needs.

For many people, especially of the mobile generation, dumbed down apps are what they're used to so for them it's not that big of a deal.

#20 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

I have the new Mail app running on the office PCs.  Replacced Windows Live Mail, on Windows 7, just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users