• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

he Metro Apps are shite, especially the mail app. It's so limited and cut down it's useless except for the most basic of tasks.

And that's why you can still use thunderbird or whatever else takes your fancy for your emailing needs.

For many people, especially of the mobile generation, dumbed down apps are what they're used to so for them it's not that big of a deal.

Ye I know but one issue I have come across is every time there is a major update Windows again offers to make the mail app my default email client as well as shoving up some crap about MS Edge should be my preferred browser.

Does the same for my video and music players and anything else I have set to a non-App programme. Seems the updates reset my default programmes.

So it seems major updates

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#22 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,210 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

The new video player is probably not the first choice of many people, but after some reading, perhaps should be for laptop users who are going unplugged - much better battery usage than mpc/vlc

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#23 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

The procrastinator's guide to free Windows 10 upgrades

http://www.zdnet.com...ws-10-upgrades/

The year-long free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends in a matter of days. If you're on the fence, it's decision time. Here's how to streamline the upgrade process to make it fast, simple, and nearly foolproof.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#24 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,210 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

If you're lazy like me:

http://www.groovypos...ows-10-hyper-v/
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#25 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

I never got it and don't plan to until 7 becomes redundant because i'm stubborn like that

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#26 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

I never got it and don't plan to until 7 becomes redundant because i'm stubborn like that

That's a shame.

The memory management alone was worth it!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#27 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

That's a shame.

But how are you able to stand that ui? It just looks too modern, and everything is so complicated, jesus I sound like someone who used a computer for the first time at the age of 80....

#28 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't say it looks modern, in many ways it reminds me of the crappy improvised windowed feel that Dos applications tried to create in 80 col text mode.

It's just a mystery to me that they took years to get the nice organic feel of Win7 then just started going backwards with 8.  10 to me just has a cheap look to it.

And applications are heading the same way.  Modern versions of the likes of WinZip and Adobe Reader give you a similar ugly look/feel even on older OSes.

Ridiculously oversized text in some cases, extra clicks to accomplish the same thing.  I call that anything but progress.

#29 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,210 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

The UI is functionally the same for me. 

In the bottom right corner, there's a start button that gets pressed to either right click and bring up a list of shortcuts, or left click to start typing to search for something (j/k, that's what the win key is for).

The major part of the bottom of the screen is still a taskbar.  It's had no quicklink since, what, XP?  Maybe Vista?  so that's not a new change. 

Bottom right.is the system tray, where I still misuse it by storing running utilities and shortcuts.

In almost every other respect, visually, it's the same as Win7 with a different skin than Aero.

In important respects - copying files, task manager - it is much better.

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

That's a shame.

But how are you able to stand that ui? It just looks too modern, and everything is so complicated, jesus I sound like someone who used a computer for the first time at the age of 80....

Disabled the "Themes" service.

Also, I tend to use BlackBox themed shells, I don't really use Explorer, so whatever the Kernel is underneath is all I care about.

In addition, I spend very little time interacting with the UI, and a LOT of time interacting with programs. It didnt change how my programs work (besides better memory) so I dont mind.

In the bottom right corner, there's a start button that gets pressed to either right click and bring up a list of shortcuts, or left click to start typing to search for something (j/k, that's what the win key is for).

The major part of the bottom of the screen is still a taskbar.  It's had no quicklink since, what, XP?  Maybe Vista?  so that's not a new change. 

Bottom right.is the system tray, where I still misuse it by storing running utilities and shortcuts.

In almost every other respect, visually, it's the same as Win7 with a different skin than Aero.

All my RUN commands are the same, </thread> as far as I'm concerned :)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#31 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,737 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

I much prefer Win10 over Win7, and even more over Win8.1

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#32 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

That's a shame.

Disabled the "Themes" service.

Also, I tend to use BlackBox themed shells, I don't really use Explorer, so whatever the Kernel is underneath is all I care about.

In addition, I spend very little time interacting with the UI, and a LOT of time interacting with programs. It didnt change how my programs work (besides better memory) so I dont mind.

All my RUN commands are the same, </thread> as far as I'm concerned :)

It's not just the UI that gets me, my friend has windows 10 on his pc and I just don't like it, it just feels weird (probably because I don't like change and i'm stubborn :P), I did try to like it, I really did

copying files and task manager problems can be solved with external apps, and because i've been using a mac for school for about 5 years so i'm not used to pressing the windows key, I have disabled it with my keyboard and use it as a secondary control key in games, almost like I use control to crouch and windows key to prone, I much prefer it that way

#33 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

ASD is a bitch, aint it? :P

#34 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

ASD is a bitch, aint it? :P

grr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users