• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

Just to note with those Nokias, non-removable battery.

Cortana at your service

#42 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

at 3000mah, with a 1080p screen (low by mobile standards.... for some retarded reason... thats already insane pixel density), and with a 400 series snapdragon; I don't think the phone will get old enough for the capacity to drop noticeably within 3 years, I'd say it'd be usable after 5.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#43 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

at 3000mah, with a 1080p screen (low by mobile standards.... for some retarded reason... thats already insane pixel density), and with a 400 series snapdragon; I don't think the phone will get old enough for the capacity to drop noticeably within 3 years, I'd say it'd be usable after 5.

The Nokia 3 is pretty much meh to me, since it's barely an real improvement than my relatively ancient Lumia 830 (with a removable battery). The Nokia 5 is a faster Nokia 3 (the SOC is octacore) but the Nokia 6 is probably the one I'd buy if I had a choice. The Nokia 8 is overkill for me, I have proper Android tablet now no need to a phablet

Edited by Jeruselem, 20 February 2017 - 12:55 PM.

Cortana at your service

#44 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

The Nokia 3 is pretty much meh to me, since it's barely an real improvement than my relatively ancient Lumia 830 (with a removable battery). The Nokia 5 is a faster Nokia 3 (the SOC is octacore) but the Nokia 6 is probably the one I'd buy if I had a choice. The Nokia 8 is overkill for me, I have proper Android tablet now no need to a phablet

Oh for sure, but you and I have unique requirements\wants.

There really are only 4 "Mainstream" mobile types.

1. Those who want an iPhone.

2. Those who want "A Samsung".

3. Those who want "The cheapest" no matter what (or the few who want "the most expensive" no matter what).

4. Those who want a "Value" workhorse.

It's the group 4 Nokia will do well (and is doing well) in targeting.

My father is a good example, builder, not greatly tech savvy, but wants a phone.

I got him an Oppo F1, its brilliant! in EVERY sense of the word!

Value, no bloat, long battery life, clear screen, all the thing HE cares about.

Those who look for a value workhorse type phone, will love the long battery life, the 4GB of ram for webpages and no app re-loads, and the 1080p will be "wow sharp!" for most of that group, compared to what they'd normally buy at 560p or so.

It wont be for me, but I can see where they're coming from, and if they market it well, it'll work.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 20 February 2017 - 01:09 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#45 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Apparently there's a new Nokia tablet which is like ... 18.4" screen with a snapdragon 835. I dunno, something that big might need a better gpu.

Cortana at your service

#46 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Apparently there's a new Nokia tablet which is like ... 18.4" screen with a snapdragon 835. I dunno, something that big might need a better gpu.

nah, 1080p, or 1440p which it probably will be, is the same 'difficulty' to drive whether it's a 4" phone or a 40" bigscreen.

Besides, it's only games that will suffer, and as above, I don't think that's their target market whatsoever....

#47 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Good news, the Nokia 3310 is official.
The bad news, its still 2.5g

Cortana at your service

#48 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Good news, the Nokia 3310 is official.
The bad news, its still 2.5g

So it wont work over here?

It'll need to be 3G frequencies to work anymore.

#49 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Yep, its still a gsm phone so its a useless brick in Australia. No 3g or 4g since they used the same comms chip from 2g nokias

Cortana at your service

#50 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

My new LG has dual SIM, the second one is 2G only.  I thought "why fuckingwell bother?" - I'd much rather have something actually usable like NFC or a bit of extra Ram.

#51 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Yep, its still a gsm phone so its a useless brick in Australia. No 3g or 4g since they used the same comms chip from 2g nokias

wow... thats a big stupid on their part.

There must be thousands of early 3G chips laying around. You know, the basic 3G, before you even got HUSPA.

They could have kept it super cheap AND made it useful.

Shame....

#52 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

wow... thats a big stupid on their part.

There must be thousands of early 3G chips laying around. You know, the basic 3G, before you even got HUSPA.

They could have kept it super cheap AND made it useful.

Shame....

Let's hope they have a 3/4G variant later.

Edited by Jeruselem, 02 March 2017 - 10:00 AM.

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users