• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,804 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

Nokia 8 looks nice. I could get a Nokia 6 at jbhifi but I'm not in a hurry.

Cortana at your service

#62 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

So badly executed - I've said before if they made a half decent Windowds x86 based phone with HDMI port they could have taken over the world.

I don't disagree, for the business market.

But the consumer demands light thin and fast. None of this can be achieved with current X86\x64 architecture.

We'd need to triple the battery size to make a full day, which I'm OK with.

Their better bet would have been to stick with ARM, included a FULL windows RT, and made most of the store free for 'phone owners'.

The old 'Skype Phone' from 2004 sold like hotcakes.

PDA's with windows CE sold almost as well as Palms.

Imagine if your phone (I agree, with HDMI) could have office, skype, VLC player, full web browser, you name it. Include the Java runtime and maybe GTK or some such and the program world opens up to you.

There was ways to make Windows Phone popular without having to care about architecture too much.

I mean, Windows Phone was already fucking great. It just worked! It synced with outlook, it was the most stable IMO, and it was intuitive.

Just poor execution.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#63 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Nokia 8 looks nice. I could get a Nokia 6 at jbhifi but I'm not in a hurry.

Processor is clocked too slow.. and tends to get really warm when gaming... the 6 that is.

edit: speeling

Edited by SceptreCore, 21 August 2017 - 10:25 AM.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#64 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,804 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

So badly executed - I've said before if they made a half decent Windowds x86 based phone with HDMI port they could have taken over the world.

I don't disagree, for the business market.

But the consumer demands light thin and fast. None of this can be achieved with current X86\x64 architecture.

We'd need to triple the battery size to make a full day, which I'm OK with.

Their better bet would have been to stick with ARM, included a FULL windows RT, and made most of the store free for 'phone owners'.

The old 'Skype Phone' from 2004 sold like hotcakes.

PDA's with windows CE sold almost as well as Palms.

Imagine if your phone (I agree, with HDMI) could have office, skype, VLC player, full web browser, you name it. Include the Java runtime and maybe GTK or some such and the program world opens up to you.

There was ways to make Windows Phone popular without having to care about architecture too much.

I mean, Windows Phone was already fucking great. It just worked! It synced with outlook, it was the most stable IMO, and it was intuitive.

Just poor execution.

I'm waiting for an x86/x64 mobile phone. Intel atom ones for me aren't enough.

Cortana at your service

#65 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

CISC processors are just too much for the mobile space. ARM's RISC processors have simply dominated the space and there's no getting it back.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users