Photo

What was the first game you ever played?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Well the title says it all, what was the first video game you every played (or can at least remember playing first :P)? I can't remember my first exact game I played but i'm *fairly* sure it was Zoo Tycoon, which I still play today...Dad brought home a *really* shitty Toshiba laptop one day and introduced me and my sister to it, I then proceeded to lose my life over building zoos, a few years later I was going to make a game that let me build a dinosaur zoo, then I discovered Zoo Tycoon 2, which I then lost even more of my life over :P, from there I moved onto Steam and the rest is history ;)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

Probably Pong. :p  I remember a mate had an Atari 2600 with some games.  Space invaders was definitely one of them.  A pong style thing is in my distant memory.

#3 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

Probably Pong. :p  I remember a mate had an Atari 2600 with some games.  Space invaders was definitely one of them.  A pong style thing is in my distant memory.

I still play pong in terminal :P

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,957 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Pretty sure it was Pong as well.  Cocktail type machine probably ~ 1974-5 though it was only me so can't remember how I'd have played it since it's a 2 player machine.  Also NFI if it was an Atari genuine or one of the clones that were everywhere by then.

Same deal on the home front.  By about 1977-8 you could spend 40 bucks and get one of those multi-game jobs with Pong, practice, hockey and the shooting game with light gun.  Though also in the arcades were the primitive driving games so I had probably played at least one of them by that time.

Sort of funny the industry survived really... it was Pong and almost nothing else for about 4 years.

First "proper" games were on the Atari 2600 which a mate had probably around 1980.  And they got a System 80, the DSE TRaSh-80 clone not long after that.

#5 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

The Space Invaders tabletop at the local milk bar, a very, very long time ago. 

#6 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Earliest memory would probably be Atari super hang on.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,061 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

I think; One Must Fall: 2097

At "Duncans house" (friend from primary school who was 3 years older than myself).

Before that would have been education games I played at the Queensland Museum. There was this amazing one i loved, you had to load 3x 5-1/4" floppy disks in a row and HOPE it booted.

But IF IT DID..... you got to drag and drop clumps of dirt around an excavation site and uncover dinosaurs.

After that I think would have been "Pyramid" which was a 'breakout' clone, on the Watara Supervision.250px-Watara-Supervision-Tilted.jpg

Edited by Master_Scythe, 20 July 2016 - 03:00 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,957 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

Funny, you adjust for inflation and those crappy $40 home Pong games come to about what a previous generation, still in production console would cost today.

The Atari VCS/2600 when it first appeared here... I think you were looking at about 300 bucks, maybe 350.   In todays money probably equivalent to an XBox1, PS4 and half decent PC combined.

#9 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

First games were played on the Atari 2600, but the games I played are a bit vague.

When we got a PC we had 3 games,

Fighter Bomber,

http://www.giantbomb...ces/3030-38158/

F-14 Tomcat

http://www.giantbomb...mcat/3030-8624/

and

After Burner

http://www.giantbomb...rner/3030-3629/

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#10 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:47 AM

I bought a newly released N64 with the memory expansion and a rumble pack and two game cartriges for it, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time gold cartrige and Turock 2 Seeds of Evil.

Started Turock first,  got a fair way in when curosity got the better of me, so  gave Zelda a go and played it all the way through and again to get all the  hearts and and Skulltulas  etc.

Started Turock first But finnished Zelda twice before going back to it. so depends on if one has to finnish a game to say they have "played" it.

I am not counting the odd two bob I have thrown into a Pong while I waited for my burger to cook dont think I finnished one, whenever they called ready, I walked off

and left it running, hot burger being a priority an all .

Edited by Waltish, 21 July 2016 - 01:54 AM.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#11 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

First ever computer game: some text-interface dungeon crawl when computers filled rooms.

First video game: Space Invaders, cabinet model, in b&w, with a tri-colour film applied over the screen so the top third was green, the middle white, and the bottom red.

First electronic game I owned: Pong, on a cheap multi-game unit you plugged into the analogue TV.

First game I bought myself for a computer I owned: Reach for the Stars - an awesome 4x space empire game, from before the term '4x' was coined.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#12 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

First ever computer game: some text-interface dungeon crawl when computers filled rooms.

First game I bought myself for a computer I owned: Reach for the Stars - an awesome 4x space empire game, from before the term '4x' was coined.

so like, nethack but a lot older? and essentially sid meirs: starships but a very long time ago?

Started Turock first But finnished Zelda twice before going back to it. so depends on if one has to finnish a game to say they have "played" it.

Just played it, doesn't have to be finished

#13 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,833 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

family's first pc was a amstrad which we use to play a stick figure hangman on

probably played some other peoples apple ii e or atari games like river raid before that though

one of the first games i really got into on the home pc 486 would have been realms of arkania blade of destiny

hmm it seems they have remade it

first online game was dungeon keeper 2 demo

that sure made the $200 for 100 hours of 56k internet start to disappear

Edited by Dasa, 21 July 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#14 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

so like, nethack but a lot older? and essentially sid meirs: starships but a very long time ago?

More like "You are in a maze of twisty passages, that all look the same. There are exits to the North, West, and South."

And:

https://en.wikipedia...me)?wprov=sfla1

#15 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

More like "You are in a maze of twisty passages, that all look the same. There are exits to the North, West, and South."

And:

why no east exit? and now it looks even better :D

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,061 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

And:

why no east exit? and now it looks even better :D

Exactly!

"Look East"

~you see a solid wall, covered in spikes and the blood of previous adventurers who tried to walk east without looking

"Walk east"

~Like an idiot you impale yourself on the spikes.

Restart? Y\N

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#17 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

"Look East"
~you see a solid wall, covered in spikes and the blood of previous adventurers who tried to walk east without looking
"Walk east"

Restart? Y\N

Oh yeah - that sounds familiar.

Also:

Examine East
"There is a slight draft blowing through around the edges of the blocks here."
Push wall
"Which wall?"
Push East wall
"You have to really put your shoulder into it, but the wall grudgingly buckles a little."
Push East wall
"Suddenly, the blocks collapse inward, and you tumble into the hole. Unfortunately for you, it appears to be a ventilation shaft - all the way to the bottom of the mine."
"Restart? Y/N"

#18 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

"Look East"
"Walk east"

Restart? Y\N

Oh yeah - that sounds familiar.

Also:

Examine East
"There is a slight draft blowing through around the edges of the blocks here."
Push wall
"Which wall?"
Push East wall
"You have to really put your shoulder into it, but the wall grudgingly buckles a little."
Push East wall
"Suddenly, the blocks collapse inward, and you tumble into the hole. Unfortunately for you, it appears to be a ventilation shaft - all the way to the bottom of the mine."
"Restart? Y/N"

Hahaha

#19 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

PitStop on the C64.

http://www.giantbomb...0-17757/images/

Oh, no. before that we had a Dick Smith System80 http://www.classic-c...ardware_s80.htm

And I used to play Star Trek

Edited by Opy, 26 July 2016 - 06:25 PM.

Reality is just an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol.

WoT quote: "DishD (5:45:44 PM) ur a bad man Opy, funny as fuk but very Bad!"

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

#20 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Simple for me Pong!

Atomic's Most Recommended Psu's Thread. http://forums.atomic...p?showtopic=266

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users