Photo

Cabling up a new house - cabinet/rack mount patch panel, or no?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

So after 4 years since we started looking for a plot of land, our 6 month house construction is now half-way through (3 months to go) and we're getting to the point of doing the cabling.

I've mapped out 32 data points and a handful of phone and antenna points - all of which will terminate in the garage (which is roughly central in the house) along with the NBN NTD box.

I was wondering, is it worth installing a cabinet in the garage with a rack-mounted patch panel and switch? Is this easy and/or worthwhile?

I'm of two minds whether to bother. It would be nice, or I was thinking of just putting in 3 of these:   http://www.4cabling....atch-panel.html

Anyone got an opinion?

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:24 AM

http://forums.atomic...ng-a-new-house/

I think I went with a couple of rack-mounted patch panels - 24 ea, maybe? And one (cheap) managed switch to plug in actually active points.

I think it's essentially sitting within a 4 or 6 RU housing, because that's all I could fit into the wardrobe on the shelf.

Should you have something to tuck it away in and keep it tidy? Sure. Does it need to be an actual cabinet? Shrug.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

I don't really know what kind of equipment I want yet.  Certainly I'll need a switch of some kind and I'd like at last a back-up/file server, and perhaps a firewall box.

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Be careful of overkilling\overcomplicating things.

TP-Link make some pretty sweet unmanaged switches, with about 8\24 ports being POE too.

A network engineers mind feels better when its managed, but  really, you're not going to load a home network enough to cause mass colisions or overwork an unmanaged.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, I'm still working on a server. Can't decide what exactly I need, to spec it properly.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, I'm still working on a server. Can't decide what exactly I need, to spec it properly.

I just ended up with OpenMediaVault and SnapRaid.

I have a Raid5 of old drives for a "Scratch Disk" which then gets emptied onto the Snap.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

I mean, I don't know what I actually want it to do. The Samsung tv is smart but very old, so right now with Plex I need something to transcode. But if I get a NUC or a cheapXB/PS to connect to the TV to offload smarts, then I don't need a transcoding server.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

Ah, that.

Yeah, dump the transcode idea and get some of these:

https://www.ozbargai....au/node/258266

Its the 21st century man; dont rely on a server to decode your data, we have more CPU than that :P

I mean, I don't know what I actually want it to do. The Samsung tv is smart but very old, so right now with Plex I need something to transcode. But if I get a NUC or a cheapXB/PS to connect to the TV to offload smarts, then I don't need a transcoding server.

#9 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

Yeah after reading Nich's thread, and the experiences of two people online who set this up, and a friend who also did the home networking thing, I'm gonna go a rack cabinet and rack-mount patch panels as it's the safest and neatest way to go.

And I remembered, I scored a free 12RU cabinet from work A DECADE ago and it's been collecting dust in my mum's garage ever since.  Saves me $500!

Only problem is, I just noticed it's only 400mm deep and the ones online these days seem to be 450mm, and a quick Google shows that some rack mount devices use up the whole space.

Obviously patch panels are fine, and switches only seem to be about 200mm deep, but some rack mount NAS unis are 440mm.

Is this likely to screw me over?

#10 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

Hmm, after  bit of research you can still get the 400mm deep racks, and some are even only 300mm deep.

So, what's best to get?

#11 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,011 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:40 AM

I didn't look at rack mounted NAS specifically, but any rack mounted server I found seemed to focus on being loud and cool, because full racks in data centres.

My rack is small enough (and I think my rack is essentially made from some bunnings bits of metal), that I plan on putting whatever server I get, beside it. Or, in your case, inside of it, if it closes and won't get invaded by dust.

#12 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

I suppose I'll install it and if I'm desperate I'll just get the rack mount units that fit and have to ignore the ones that don't - or else just get tower units and put them outside the rack.

#13 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

I've mapped out 32 data points and a handful of phone and antenna points

I would not bother with the dedicated phone points as you can use the data points for phone when using a patch panel.

Just use these

http://www.4cabling....12-rj45-5m.html to go from 8p8c Ethernet sockets to the phone jack.

I would also be tempted to dump the antenna points and have the antenna going to a central location then use some TV to Ethernet Amps

You have this at your Antenna central location

http://www.altronics...tion-amplifier/

then at the TV ends you use http://www.altronics...er/#fancy-inner to go from Ethernet to normal antenna input.

Doing this means one type of cabling only and all Ethernet points in the house can be phone, Ethernet or TV. So max flexibility.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Wait, COAX can be replaced with ethernet?

Isn't the design of coax (shielding around a core) required for the signal?

#15 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

That's what the balun transformers do, convert the unbalanced RF collected by your antenna to a balanced signal suitable for transmission over twisted pair.

You need a matching transformer at the TV's end to "un-balance" the signal from the TP cable. (this will have said transformer somewhere along the cable, possibly integrated into one of the connectors)
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

That's what the balun transformers do, convert the unbalanced RF collected by your antenna to a balanced signal suitable for transmission over twisted pair.

You need a matching transformer at the TV's end to "un-balance" the signal from the TP cable. (this will have said transformer somewhere along the cable, possibly integrated into one of the connectors)

Can you expect a user noticable loss doing this?

#17 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Not with DVB-T, for obvious reasons, unless your signal was ultra-borderline to begin with.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

Not with DVB-T, for obvious reasons, unless your signal was ultra-borderline to begin with.

Like mine.

Roger that, not risking it :P

To this day I get ALL digital channels perfectly on my roof antenna.

But have to switch to Bunny Ears to get anything from 10 (11, 12, OneHD etc)

#19 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

That's why the base distribution amp has built in gain for both the main input and per Ethernet lead.

See http://download.altr...tions_L2040.pdf

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#20 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

That's really interesting - says it might need a pre-amp though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users