Photo

Cabling up a new house - cabinet/rack mount patch panel, or no?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Throwing this out there, too: When we cabled the house, we included a heap of extra pairs near the TV, and the PC sitting in the loungeroom. For purposes of running HDMI over ethernet. To be clear, these extra pairs run directly from port to port, and not via the patch panel.

What we didn't do was actually terminate and test any cables until after the walls were put up and finished. Unlucky for us, there are a few dead pairs - unsure if bad runs of cable or bad terminations or something happened after we put it in. Technically we can fix this, but we /really/ overprovisioned and so just ignore those ports.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#22 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

An ex colleague of mine cabled up his house recently and told me to put drawlines in every cable run to make replacing or adding cables easy.

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#23 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Yes. It helps, but if your place is anything like here, that involves not just climbing into the roof cavity, but trying to line up new cable to draw at the very edge, where there is the least space with how roofs angle down.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#24 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

That's really interesting - says it might need a pre-amp though?

Well if you are in a low signal area you may need a masthead amp with it but you would still need one even without the Cat5 TV Distribution Amplifier, especially if splitting the antenna output to several rooms.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users