• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

So, if this was on reddit it'd be in r/showerthoughts from this morning.... but I like you guys more, so i'm here :P

For ages now I've looked at new technology, new advancements, new games, etc. with an air of dislike. Something 'missing' if you will.

For a long time I've put it down to "Nostalgia", and how 'These 3D games aren't what I grew up with', or how "Technology is too hard these days" blah blah blah.

Why do these "Petty" innovations that amaze people, not amaze me?

I looked, and I looked and I realized. I've been exposed to both "worse experiences" and "Better experiences" already.

The worse experiences seem to allow me to be more accepting of compromises; where the better experiences make me look at new technology and ask WHY people would put up with the Catch22 of "New Device X"

So before I start giving my personal examples; what do you think? Do you think "growing up with tech" leaves you more willing to accept shortcomings? Or more quick to attack flaws?

I actually will focus on mobile phones here, and wearables, because I think they're the main cause of my angst.

-is "1440p" in a 5" device not wowing me like it should? I know my eyes aren't great, but, when they were, my 720p 6" Dell was crystal clear..... and 1080p is norm now....

Hell, my 1080p 25" monitor is "crystal clear", why is 1440p on a 5" Phone "So Exciting"? Should I be excited by this and im not?

-People being amazed new phones come with "256 Gb of storage!" when theyve given up the MicroSD card slot? I had 256GB of storage about 4 generations ago..... Should I be excited that its now soldered to the board, not in a card?

-People get amazed at "2 days bettery" or "It doesnt break when I drop it once"... my old stuff lasted 3 days,  never did break..... Should  be excited its now 6mm at the edges not 8mm and accept delicacy? (iphone bend?)

-These aren't innovations to me, they're re-hashes of existing technology cleverly marketed; aren't they?

Is it that "Kids these days" Gre up with 1080p being "the minimum" so 4k\qHD is the only jump available to them?

There's less advancement, so they seek more reward from smaller achievements?

-

Personally? (from here out it becomes a rant) I'll TLDR at the end.

I grew up watching Simpsons on my Nokia N-Gage.

The fact that I could fit a whole season on an SD card, by simply using 18fps and default 120x120 resolution was amazing for me.

I continued to use these files on my E-series nokias, which had about quadruple the pixels.

Was it blocky and blurry? You fucking bet it was!

Did I care? NO!

I was watching Simpsons on the go. I didn't have to "pay $40 a month" like today (10gb data) to stream it from online or some shit.

Also, I was on the bloody bus! what did I care it was blocky? I wasn't watching a blockbuster, I was filling a 2 hour bus ride.

In Todays tech, would I care if it was blocky? Still NO. Id prefer blocky and data saving.

Lets move onto a normal day....

I'd be walking through school grounds and get tackled to the ground because "Im the geek kid, lets get him". No drama I didn't have to worry if my phone broke.

With large glass you'd think came this level of delicacy?.... You'd think that.... But I also had a Dell X50V PDA. and it was tough as bricks also!

So no, when I see new products with the level of delicacy we're "accepting" today I'm literally in shock.

A kid can fall off a skateboard and have to check his phone for damage. the HELL?

In todays world, would I care about delicacy in exchange for features? FUCK YES. My Blackberry Passport, which is modern, is rock solid, strong, and super fast. Why can't anyone else make a 'strong' phone?

So, thanks to the new PokemonGO craze, and knowing that NOKIA and BLACKBERRY will be releasing more Android soon; I've decided to go "new phone shopping" and get properly used to the interface (i used JellyBean for 2 years, so i'm far from a complete noob though).

I recently went to a JB hi-fi and held basically every phone they have; ignoring price. I can personally say "they're too thin".

I thought this was a 'me' thing (I have a lot of those :P), but, I've done a little 'walk by quiz' of anyone in the office today who isn't too busy, and they agree, "I prefer it with the case on" is the answer, and its usually it's "harder to break and easier to hold".

SO WHY DO WE KEEP GETTING THINNER?!?

A double thickness screen glass layer, an 'included' TPU bumper (or even a 'built in' TPU bumper with a metal exoskeleton?) would solve 99% of these.

We'd go back to 5~10mm thick, which is nicely hold-able, and a "tough" phone once again.

Hell, people are already doing this with "Lifeproof cases" and "tempered glass protectors".

In this day and age do I care about size? YES. The Galaxy Note 4 I have right now is like a 'knife' in the hand, and without a case is actually uncomfortable to use.

The "Invention" of LiPo batteries shocks me too.

We actually GAVE UP the option of AA's.

Now I know LiPo is double the voltage in the same space, so keeping AA's available would have been near impossible. But in the same stroke of the brush we seemed to sacrifice REPLACEABLE batteries too.

Why not use the AA/AAA cell sized Lipo's? We could have the advantages of LiPo with the convenience of "Picking up a pack" at the local store if we're out of charge.

Was it all in desperation for "thin?" which as I'm personally finding, and seeing from everyone around me, is given up for 'cases' anyway?

Do I care in this day? Yep, sure do. The convenience of being able to always know a local servo can solve my power needs; was priceless. I wouldnt give that up for anything, if I could help it.

You see where I'm going....

Moving to wearables; I bought a Pebble Steel.

Loving the ever loving SHIT out of this; 10 days per charge, read all my emails, check calls, control music, it does it all.

Then along comes the apple watch.... 24 hrs battery, the same features "In Color" and for everyone I personally know, no real life uses otside what my Pebble does.

Yet the "apple watch" was the innovation?!? Our CEO recently got rid of his Apple Watch for a Garmin smart watch; same features as pebble, but with Coordinates, Hear Rate, and about 7 days battery.... nice.

I didn't see the innovation from Apple.

Yes, I see the built in microphone and speaker, and the ability to 'install apps' but, "android watch phones" have done that for 3 or so years now.... so where is the "wow factor?"

I genuinely kept an open mind, I was excited to see what was so new and cool, and, while the "possibilities are endless" the real use case, is boring as hell for 99% of people.

So, TLDR?

We gave up the ability to swap batteries in the go. Not for Lipo, because Lipo 'AAA' cells are available, but for the case of thinness.

We "Fix the thinness" with a case, which at a guess, 18/20 people I've asked say "its easier to hold".

The delicateness we accept, when things like "double thickness glass" and an internal TPU bumper could solve it. And we already do it, once again with cases, and "Glass screen protectors".

We accept that a 10GB data plan is needed to "watch media on the go" thanks to streaming services, and no longer care about "local media". Why? Why if the network goes down (telstra... lookin at you....)

We demand technology for "the sake of technology". 1440p screen on 5"? "FullHD 60fps" cartoons? Would you even notice if I replaced you cartoon with an XVID encoding instead of bluray on a 5" screen? I'd wager no.

Am I the only one who feels like we've "given up" a list of about 10~20 "great things" about our old technology, to gain about 2~5?

Don't get me started on the software; Apple and Android still cant "Select from" and "select to" in file manager (aka, shift click, on windows) where Symbian could in 1999.

Anyone else feel like we Keep losing things and being told "Do without, you'll be fine" because of an "amazing new technology" we just didnt need......

Edited by Master_Scythe, 21 July 2016 - 11:45 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

I'll go with two of your points: non-replaceable batteries and media.

With batteries, sure there's the thickness consideration, but really it's about manufacturing costs. Having a replaceable battery means:

- Battery needs some kind of casing
- Spring-loaded contacts in the phone
- A layer of material to separate the battery from the rest of the phone
- Another layer of material to keep the battery in (i.e. the battery cover)

This all adds up in terms of tooling costs, manufacturing lead time, points of failure, and so forth. The big argument against non-replaceable batteries was NiCd and NiMH batteries having a service life that would conceivably be shorter than the service life of the device. LiIon and LiPo batteries don't have this issue, partly because they do last longer, but also because people replace their devices more frequently now.

With media, your "whole season of a TV show" argument omits the bit where you had to spend time dicking about doing computer nerd things to find a good format, transcode everything, and so forth. "Normal" people never had the knowledge or inclination to do these things. People are also fickle now-days, and won't commit to having a particular show as the only thing available to watch. Streaming media solves both of these problems.

And along with the need to store media, so too disappears the need for arseloads of local storage.

To use myself as an example: I have a 16GB iPhone 6+, and I have *never* been in a situation where it wasn't enough space. My previous device was a HTC One M7, and I never came close to filling it.

You say we've "given up" things, I'd say that most of those things were only ever used by a handful of geeks. Normal people didn't need huge amounts of phone storage, because their music was on an iPod (or they listened to the radio). Normal people didn't need MSN or AIM on their phone because they and their friends were outdoors using SMS. And so forth.

You and I are of similar age, and perhaps even similar life experiences for earlier part. I get that you're pining for things to remain as they were at a certain stage in your life, a way of doing things that you got super comfortable with. I really do. And it's more meta than "I like to keep media locally" or "I like having SD cards as an option", so I think it's fruitless to try to discuss it in those terms.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

You and I are of similar age, and perhaps even similar life experiences for earlier part. I get that you're pining for things to remain as they were at a certain stage in your life, a way of doing things that you got super comfortable with. I really do. And it's more meta than "I like to keep media locally" or "I like having SD cards as an option", so I think it's fruitless to try to discuss it in those terms.

You're right in a lot of ways; but I still disagree probably a bit too much to bother typing it all out in detail :P lol

One point you didnt address, which I'd like some external input on, is "advancements".

Forget the how and why a thing gets done; I want to focus on why its APPEALING.

For example, 1440p screen on phones. I've had kids RAVE about how clear it is..... I've also had the same experience from a 1080p screen when its only 4.5".....

I can't figure out WHY these 'innovations' are exciting or news worthy these days.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:09 AM

For example, 1440p screen on phones. I've had kids RAVE about how clear it is..... I've also had the same experience from a 1080p screen when its only 4.5".....
I can't figure out WHY these 'innovations' are exciting or news worthy these days.

Two words: Virtual Reality.

It's an emerging market that requires hardware with very high DPI displays, and nothing ramps up high resolution production better than created demand in phones. Also, the phones themselves are being used for VR.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#5 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

helluva weird thread title :)

"For ages now I've looked at new technology, new advancements, new games, etc. with an air of dislike. Something 'missing' if you will."

its not them — its you.  probably.  i mean, becoming more and more jaded is totally a thing!

"Do you think "growing up with tech" leaves you more willing to accept shortcomings? Or more quick to attack flaws?"

cant say i understand what you mean by the phrase "growing up with tech", and in any case i struggle with an 'either/or' proposition so broad.  

"my 1080p 25" monitor is "crystal clear", why is 1440p on a 5" Phone "So Exciting"? Should I be excited by this and im not?"

i guess i am out of the loop, so i dont have a read on how "exciting" this is supposed to be.  if you mean that in some circles of relatively ordinary people there is a degree of buzz...meh.  but you should perhaps be at least partially gruntled about greater pixel density though. 

as for incremental upgrades:

you did mention clever marketing.  mobile phone manufacturers constantly need to vie for greater market share, or to maintain whatever they do have — as such, there is insane pressure on them to incite consumers to wank and blare and drone and fucking gurgle (to use language from the famous iProduct parody image) about every next incremental improvement on the next premature abortion of a flagship model.   i would be fascinated to see how they prioritise their r&d vs marketing budgets.  i mean, we sometimes marvel at the movie industry when the marketing for a film as a proportion of total costs is massive, but even in that situation you dont find moviegoers that tend to be loyal to a particular studio, let alone for 1-2 year periods at a time. 

as for ironic downgrades:

sometimes things just get worse.  case in point: i wouldve continued through your whole post if it wasnt for the new and improved quoting system we have these days :D

no pung intended

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

Because they're designed to be.

If you didn't go 1440p while your competitor did, that's something their advertising will claim superiority over.

It's really that simple. It's low-effort improvement for the sake of selling phones.

They could put their effort into battery life, but that's hard. Changing the LCD panel out for a higher resolution panel is easy. Route of least resistance.
四時半を待っています!

#7 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

"I am afraid it is purely and solely a commercial strategy..."

https://www.quora.co...teries-nowadays

no pung intended

#8 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

"I am afraid it is purely and solely a commercial strategy..."
https://www.quora.co...teries-nowadays

The answer you're quoting finishes with the words "Convince me I'm wrong".

It reads like a copypasta, and a retarded one at that.
四時半を待っています!

#9 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

well it probably is a copypasta considering theres a verbatim copy further down from a different user.  and its at the very least less retarded than your response to it.

other posts on that page cover the engineering aspects, as you have done above.  but that post has some valid points too. 

no pung intended

#10 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hello Rybags

How can i put these profound statements at the bottom of my rant or question please like[ no pung intended]

Hello no one home here

Edited by mickf, 24 July 2016 - 08:48 PM.

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#11 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

You just have to type it in every time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A vote for little Bill is a vote for gib bills, devilered with the aroma of failure.

#12 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

Ok thanks

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Because they're designed to be.

If you didn't go 1440p while your competitor did, that's something their advertising will claim superiority over.

It's really that simple. It's low-effort improvement for the sake of selling phones.

They could put their effort into battery life, but that's hard. Changing the LCD panel out for a higher resolution panel is easy. Route of least resistance.

For someone with an overly logical sense of the world, that just hurts my brain.

I know you're right, but it hurts to know you're right. lol.

On that argument though, whenever I'm in a chain store (like JB) the people are always talking to the salesman, who is usually quite honest and pointing out what differences matter and what don't.

I remember when I FIRST saw the "retina" display on a mac, and later on an iPad, (I went into an apple store to see what the hype was about); I was told "If you're not image editing, don't get it, it's not quite ready, apps are too small".

and in regards to the ipad "Battery life is a big sacrifice for higher resolution".

I actually left rather impressed with the honesty of the Westfield Carindale Apple Store that day.

But I digress; It hurts my brain that someone can't look at a device, with their own fucking eyes\hands\brain and go "This feature isnt a feature...." or "Why are they advertising this? I can't see anything better than 1080p of that other one...."

People are infuriatingly impressionable from advertising.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 25 July 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#14 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

well it probably is a copypasta considering theres a verbatim copy further down from a different user.  and its at the very least less retarded than your response to it.

other posts on that page cover the engineering aspects, as you have done above.  but that post has some valid points too.

Other answers on that page aren't the answer you quoted though, dude. ;)

I actually had a lengthy teardown of the copypasta typed out, but accidentally reloaded the page and lost it, but it came down to its heavy use of opinion masquerading as fact, dismissing the entire size argument using a single model as justification, super-contrived, hyperbolic hypotheticals to justify his battery juggling, among other things.

There are plenty of ways it's a terrible answer, but as you said, there are other better, more reasoned answers on the page.

I don't think it's so much that, but more that they're indifferent.

Most people don't really care what phone they have, which is good for the shops because they're more or less guaranteed a sale, but it's bad for manufacturers because they need to make their device stand out at a glance.

Because face it, when you glance across the display case, all phones more or less look the same.
四時半を待っています!

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

Other answers on that page aren't the answer you quoted though, dude. ;)

I actually had a lengthy teardown of the copypasta typed out, but accidentally reloaded the page and lost it, but it came down to its heavy use of opinion masquerading as fact, dismissing the entire size argument using a single model as justification, super-contrived, hyperbolic hypotheticals to justify his battery juggling, among other things.

There are plenty of ways it's a terrible answer, but as you said, there are other better, more reasoned answers on the page.

I don't think it's so much that, but more that they're indifferent.

Most people don't really care what phone they have, which is good for the shops because they're more or less guaranteed a sale, but it's bad for manufacturers because they need to make their device stand out at a glance.

Because face it, when you glance across the display case, all phones more or less look the same.

Thats why I love my BB passport.

It was literally a modern phone, with a better look.

There was a time when having "an iPhone" was a status symbol, but now its a sign of sheeple.

Having "something different" was a godsend, an icebreaker, a sign that I have a brain outside of "Get my flat glass brick!!!!"

But slowly webpages became incompatible, and PokemonGO came out, and I recently moved on.

I still feel sick to the stomach when I think about that.... I'm having a really hard time modding\customizing a modern phone.

Gotta send it away for engraving. I'm thinking about 3D printing a custom rear section and putting a battery in parallel (2x 4000mah = 8000mah).... I don't know yet, but it feels commercial, not "like mine" yet.

Cyanogenmod will help, I'll then undervolt, Might get a "Pressy" for the headphone slot, but it still wont stand out when I take it out.... It needs to 'pop'. Maybe I can sort something with el wire; dunno yet.

This is why I'm so excited to see Nokia coming back, and to know that BB has gone over to Android, and has promised to always have one qwerty phone in their lineup.

My tech has always been a reflection of me. I live it, I breathe it, so it has to be a sign of me.

I am anything but a "flat glass, metal back" tech person.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 25 July 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

There was a time when having "an iPhone" was a status symbol, but now its a sign of sheeple.

From my personal observation and experience, people are attracted to Apple by the brand, but they become repeat customers because they're genuinely happy with their products and service.

One shitty experience will make people switch from Coles to Woolies, Ford to Holden, or McD's to HJ's. Phones are no different. Saying "sheeple" is a bit glib, and doesn't give people much credit, where I think at least a little bit is due.

Having "something different" was a godsend, an icebreaker, a sign that I have a brain outside of "Get my flat glass brick!!!!"

And yet you criticised iPhone as being a status symbol? Why do you care what your choice of handset says to people?

I still feel sick to the stomach when I think about that.... I'm having a really hard time modding\customizing a modern phone.

You're generally a practical person, so think about this pragmatically. What outcome has this prevented from achieving?

Are you unable to perform some kind of productive task now that you could perform before?

My tech has always been a reflection of me. I live it, I breathe it, so it has to be a sign of me.
I am anything but a "flat glass, metal back" tech person.

Which is awesome.

But you must understand that for, like, 99.99% of people, technology is just a means to an end.
四時半を待っています!

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

From my personal observation and experience, people are attracted to Apple by the brand, but they become repeat customers because they're genuinely happy with their products and service.

One shitty experience will make people switch from Coles to Woolies, Ford to Holden, or McD's to HJ's. Phones are no different. Saying "sheeple" is a bit glib, and doesn't give people much credit, where I think at least a little bit is due.

Well, something I had pointed out to me (i think it was Business Insider magazine?) was the "status of a device". What people assume when you access it.

They made the point that when a person gets out an iphone, or a samsung phone while in a business meeting; there is a very high chance that the other attendees assume social networking\games.

When someone gets out a "brick" phone, people assume you've been "paged"\txt's or have an alarm.

And when people get out a qwerty device (be it phone, laptop, or one of these http://www.netbookne...-2_wp_lg_lg.jpg [my mate carries one :P]) they assume you're doing work.

Maybe its outlook? Maybe its a calendar event? maybe you just got an important alert from a security system?

Who knows.

Regardless, the point the article was making was very true. I hadn't even considered it before, but when someone got out an iPhone my mind would honestly go to facebook or angrybirds.

But when BB's were still "in the wild" I never batted an eyelid when a colleague got an alert on their BB, because games were practically impossible.

To cut a long rambling point down the middle? - I use the sheeple term because what you own is an indication of what you use a device for. To this day I still (and most CEO's\GM's are older than us, you have to admit), see iphone=facebook.

I know a few users who have iPhones and are VERY tech savvy, which is fine, but we're talking about closed book first impression style interactions.

And yet you criticised iPhone as being a status symbol? Why do you care what your choice of handset says to people?

Sorry if it came across that way, I didnt mean to criticize it for status; I was jealous back in the day when I was young and couldn't have one, but that didnt mean I thought otherwise.

People with iPhones WERE 'important'.

You're generally a practical person, so think about this pragmatically. What outcome has this prevented from achieving?
Are you unable to perform some kind of productive task now that you could perform before?

Well, this for me falls into the same bag as 'clothing'.

Using extremes, what does wearing a shirt and pants achieve, that an old burlap sack with some openings sewn shut doesn't? They'll both keep me from the elements, and the burlap sack is probably actually warmer.

But just like being up with a trend matters to some, having my technology be 'me' is my idea of fashion.

I've been called "Technomancer" and "Tech Wizard" by random people before, and once I lose my weight again, I'll be back to my Metrosexual-Cybergoth (yes, they blend) type fashion again.

So I guess, 99%, you're right, it doesn't leave me unable to perform some task; but it does make one task more difficult. Icebreaking.

Starting a conversation by simply taking your phone out of your pocket to a cry of "Oh that's cool, what's that?!" is a thing of the past with a Glass\metal slab......

I think I'm going to 3D print a custom charge-case for the phone, at the least.

I think I'll make it out of Replicator blocks (StargateSG1 style)

Which is awesome.
But you must understand that for, like, 99.99% of people, technology is just a means to an end.

You're right, once again, but this is the sheeple comment all over again isnt it?

Look at my Nokia thread

http://forums.atomic...k/#entry1179444

There are some truly unique phones in that list.

And the E series even had a facebook client and a darn good HTML\Java\Flash enabled web browser.

Without going all philosophical on the discussion, there was a time when at least a single alternative existed.

There will always be "me" out there, 0.1% of the population is still quite a big target audience assuming you're the ONLY point of difference on the market.

Catch is, until Q1 2017, getting anything that isn't a Flat Glass \ Metal brick, is going to be impossible.

Come Q1 we'll get the Blackberry Mercury (and q4 this year, the Argon, but its also flat-glass-spec) and that's if Australian stores even stock, it....

blackberry-argon.jpg

I've always been an outcast, the odd one out, the guy with the 'unique mindset' but when its a device i need to use everyday, and am being shoehorned into a mold I don't like, I've never felt so alone.

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

Regardless, the point the article was making was very true. I hadn't even considered it before, but when someone got out an iPhone my mind would honestly go to facebook or angrybirds.
But when BB's were still "in the wild" I never batted an eyelid when a colleague got an alert on their BB, because games were practically impossible.

To cut a long rambling point down the middle? - I use the sheeple term because what you own is an indication of what you use a device for. To this day I still (and most CEO's\GM's are older than us, you have to admit), see iphone=facebook.
I know a few users who have iPhones and are VERY tech savvy, which is fine, but we're talking about closed book first impression style interactions.

Some time ago I might have agreed.

Where I work, standard issue corporate phone for people over a certain paygrade is iPhone and an iPad if they want it.

And I know that other organisations within our industry are headed the same way.

Times (and attitudes) are changing rapidly.

There will always be "me" out there, 0.1% of the population is still quite a big target audience assuming you're the ONLY point of difference on the market.
I've always been an outcast, the odd one out, the guy with the 'unique mindset' but when its a device i need to use everyday, and am being shoehorned into a mold I don't like, I've never felt so alone.

Going back to the OP:

Anyone else feel like we Keep losing things and being told "Do without, you'll be fine" because of an "amazing new technology" we just didnt need......

The devices you're talking about aren't targeting you. Saying you're the 0.1%, outcast, odd one out, etc etc, is the answer to your original question. :)

Edited by SquallStrife, 25 July 2016 - 12:50 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

Times (and attitudes) are changing rapidly.

Id argue slowly. But yes, they are changing.

The devices you're talking about aren't targeting you. Saying you're the 0.1%, outcast, odd one out, etc etc, is the answer to your original question. :)

Oh, I concur, but where IS the 0.1%? Its been there growing up, always.

There were tamagotchis; but I had an e-pet.

There were "Brain" yoyo's but I had a BallBearing Fireball.

There were Dragon ball Z cards, and I kept playing Pokemon.

There was playstation and I backed Dreamcast....

The only difference is, there isn't a "but" anymore.

Everyone else was using phones with no tactile feedback, but I was........ using a phone with no tactile feedback......

As I said, its actually a HUGE market. If you're they only 'alternative' then everyone who wants one, only has one place to go.

I just don't get it.

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

I've been called "Technomancer" and "Tech Wizard" by random people before...

Starting a conversation by simply taking your phone out of your pocket to a cry of "Oh that's cool, what's that?!" is a thing of the past with a Glass\metal slab......

Tangent: Sorry, but I can't think of anything worse than someone initiating a conversation with me about my phone. Or my T-shirt. Or the fact I'm playing Pokemon Go. Or anything. Leave me the hell alone, world, and I promise I'll stay our of your way!!!! X_X

Maybe that's where we're disconnected here. :)

As I said, its actually a HUGE market. If you're they only 'alternative' then everyone who wants one, only has one place to go.
I just don't get it.

You said it yourself, Nokia is bringing out some oddities next year, and hopefully you'll find your calling among them.

That's just the price for being in the 0.1% I suppose.
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users