• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slayme1974

slayme1974

Learner

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hi I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and Opensuse Leap 42.1 Linux on separate hard drives. I was hoping to play some of my old games in wine, but I'm not having much luck to be honest.

My new plan is to pull out an old copy of Windows 7 i have stashed away that I never used (some of my old games don't work in windows 10 64bit). I don't want to go though the hassle of reinstalling windows 10 and linux, so I thought maybe I could unplug both my hard drives and add a third hard drive, install Windows 7 on it, plug my hard drives back in and just boot off the third drive when I want windows 7. Would this work? Is there a better option?

Thanks.

ps. both my current hard drives have gpt volumes.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

This will work fine.

Unplugging is a good safety, but no need to do it ususally; just find out what your motherboard 'boot menu' key is, and select the HDD you want :)

You can use windows or linux boot managers to point to different partitions\drives, but doing 'full installs' and selecting the HDD you want to boot from in the BIOS is 'effective' is a a little simple.

I'd probably do it that way :P

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dual boot, windows 7, linux, windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users