Photo

HDD only 20Gb on eBook - no space for W10?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

So I'm trying to download and install the assisted technologies free download of W10 (which is still available) onto an eBook with only 6.4Gb of free space (and it only has Windows 8 and Office 365 installed).

Problem is the installer says there's not enough space, and the MS FAQ says the installer should prompt you to plug in external storage.  Except it doesn't.  I already have a 64Gb microSD installed but I don't seem to be able to use it - there are literally no options on the installer to do anything other than "Try again".

Any ideas?

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

If it were me, I'd use another computer and select the "Download for another computer" option to get the ISO.

I'd then install it, and skip the CD key step.

Id then call microsoft and say I use assistive technologies and I'm having trouble activating.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

Slim down the current Win8 install.

If hibernate is present, disable it and make sure the HIBERFIL.SYS file goes away.

Change the paging file to the smallest possible size.

Applications could be tricky.  I'd just backup the relevant Program Files libraries then delete them.  That'd leave the registry and uninstall information intact but make the space available.  Restore the files later.

Do the usual Windows procedure to empty internet cache, temporary files etc.

Set Recycle Bin to use smallest possible percentage, do same for System Restore if enabled.

Since you have an SD card mounted, it might be possible to put the paging file on it temporarily... of course this would probably mean a big performance hit.

Edited by Rybags, 09 August 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Recycle bin percentage reserved is a  big one too.

delete all unneeded profiles.

Important thing to remember is that once it's been upgraded the ID for that machine is stored; so you can then clean format and install from ISO anyway; just gotta get it there once, even if its messy.

Though id just reinstall and tell a white lie to microsofts india branch :P

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Gee, good luck fitting W10 on a 20GB drive.

Cortana at your service

#6 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Is it that bad?  I read somewhere Win10 took up less space than Win8 for someone.

And jeez MS Support in India is terrible, rude and useless.  Kept arguing with me that it was not available, wouldn't look at the site, kept insisting it was a third party site, kept telling me I didn't know WTF I was talking about and then told me there was no such thing as supervisors.

Eventually on the FOURTH callback, got through to Level 1 Technician who tried a million things and then admitted he had no idea WTF was going on.

So, I'll probably try the "download it on another computer" thing.

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

It's a PITA type of install.  Usually you're installing off a different volume or at least with most desk/laptops you have plenty of space on the boot volume to hold that whopping great download.

Then you have the extra whammy of work files, plus it'll almost certainly retain the previous system so you can rollback.  So in effect you're needing almost 3 times the space vs what you'd need to just do a fresh install to a blank volume off a DVD or flashdrive.

#8 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

Damn, then it really will be worthwhile to upgrade, wipe and clean install later.

I wasn't even going to bother to be honest, but I need at least one Win10 machine in the house to learn the o/s.

#9 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

I might be wrong but fairly sure any upgrade where you initiate the install from inside Windows itself will be just that, and retain the old OS for rollback which has it's advantages but is more costly in storage space.

For anything with under ~ 30 Gig or so resident storage probably not worth the bother.

Also, I don't much like those types of installs.  Generally you end up with a bunch of renamed folders, a physical layout that's probably somewhat fragmented from the get-go, and in importing programs and settings from what's already there you also inherit a lot of the clutter, crud, and general slowdown that you get as the install ages.

Edited by Rybags, 09 August 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Does this ebook support otg?

Cortana at your service

#11 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

I would think that'd be less useful than inbuilt SD slot.

A possible idea - change the SD slot to be optimised for performance rather than quick removal.  Might do nothing but might make the installer think it's a non-removable drive.

#12 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Is there any specific reason that you can't just do a clean install, rather than an upgrade?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#13 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

The freebie Win10 AFAIK only has the in-place upgrade option, no provision for fresh install.

#14 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

You tried "newer" versions of the driver for micro sd card reader hardware?

Cortana at your service

#15 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

I've got doubts that'd matter at all.  Also doubts about my previous idea.  It sounds like a case of a so-called "helpful" installer that goes nanny-state on you and refuses to even download unless your boot device has enough free space to satisfy it.

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

I've got doubts that'd matter at all.  Also doubts about my previous idea.  It sounds like a case of a so-called "helpful" installer that goes nanny-state on you and refuses to even download unless your boot device has enough free space to satisfy it.

I think something to do with space required for the win8 backup in case it needs to roll back I think.

Cortana at your service

#17 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,962 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

So... clean install, no cd key/activation, and it gives a 90 day trial, right?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#18 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

Not sure it does much of a backup.  Maybe just a registry snapshot.  Looking at the laptop I allowed it on, I have "Windows.old" which would obviously be the previous OS, "Windows" for the Win 10 install.

But in any case you end up with essentially the space used for two OS installs, though you could subtract stuff like duplicates of the likes of page, hibernate files.

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

So... clean install, no cd key/activation, and it gives a 90 day trial, right?

Until you phone microsoft india and explain "IT WONT ACTIVATE!!! YOU LOCKED ME OUT OF MY PC, I'M JOINING THAT CLASS ACTION!" woah woah woah, here's your key buddy....

I might have done this....

#20 neoprint

neoprint

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

If it were me, I'd use another computer and select the "Download for another computer" option to get the ISO.

I'd then install it, and skip the CD key step.

Id then call microsoft and say I use assistive technologies and I'm having trouble activating.

Be careful with this, if it's 8.1 with Bing it doesn't have a key. At all. So it needs to have the upgrade done first otherwise it won't activate.

Source: fallen victim to this myself

Xeon X5650@4.6GHz | Asus P6T-Deluxe V2 | 12GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback | Samsung 830 128GB | MSI Radeon R9 290

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users