#1 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

Do you upgrade when you need to?

or

Do you upgrade when the new tech becomes available just because you want to?

I really want a GTX 1060 or 1070, but there is no logical reason to upgrade.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 12 August 2016 - 08:59 AM.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

I would but only have laptops.

Cortana at your service

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

Only do it when the ol' box can't run the current games even on minimum. Theoretically, that's months ago (don't meet minimum specs), but the games still run - just sometimes with crap frame rates. Since good frame rates and even graphics at all came about well after I started computer gaming, I have a high tolerance for slideshow performance: it's really only a big deal when it gets you killed.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

I've upgraded once or twice in anticipation of a game that might have needed it but the upgrade wasn't to the latest high-end card.

At the peak maybe 9-12 years ago I'd change graphics card every 12-18 months but lately I've upgraded 4 times since about 2008.

Was similar with motherboard and CPU except probably a 18-24 month cycle but since start of 2007 - 3 motherboards, 3 CPUs.

#5 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,364 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Nope, I only upgrade if my system is actively impeding what I want to do. So far this i7 920 has held up spectacularly.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#6 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

yes, i upgrade, but very rarely to new

for the last 3 years i have been rocking a second hand i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2ghz (undervolted) in a new z77 gigabyte board (that and the corsair hx650, now 6 years old, are the only "new" initial core components, along with an rma'd vertex ssd - which got upgraded to a vertex4 which is still sweet)

in that time the only other relative constant has been the audio - an asus xonar d2, which has been swapped out for an asus hdav 1.3 so i could upgrade its opamp, first to opa627, then to the burson v5i, which was so awesome i ended up using it to upgrade the htpc as the dac part of the set up :)

ram started as 2x2gig ddr3 1600, then 2x4gig of the same gen ripjaws, and is now g.skill ares 2x8gig rated for 2400 but maxxed out at 2133 (sandybridge limitation) - 10-12-12-31 1t at 1.5vdimm

the ram upgrade was due to e-peen initially, but i subsequently discovered that the extra bandwidth ups the video speeds quite dramatically

video card started on an hd5770, then an hd5870, then a (new) hd7950 boost, and more recently a gigabyte gtx760 oc which is set for 1165core/1230 boost (stock oc 1085/1150), and the vram at 1595 (stock 1502, but elpida vram is not the shiz for overclocking)

i generally upgrade because i get the itch to play more current games maxxed out on the dell u2410, and my research suggests what the sweet spot was a few years back, at which point i hover like a raptor over the for sale threads on ocau, and pounce on items that will do the job cheap

the 16gig of ram was $75, the overclock gtx $130 - both now even cheaper, but also half a year plus later

the only additional component joy i might benefit from would be a 3770k (to use the ram at full speed, and add hyperthreading), at which point a gtx970 or 980 might be worth a thought :)

i think the next gen video upgrade from there would be pushing the components i have beyond effective

i found this interesting :

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#7 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:57 AM

I'm a compulsive non-upgrader... I get a PC the way I like it, and do anything to avoid needing to reinstall or have to fix/upgrade it.

Generally I can get 5 years out of a machine before it needs a full upgrade. A lump sum, but cheaper in the long run.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#8 smakme7757

smakme7757

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

I used to upgrade often which was mostly because i purchased cheaper and slower parts. These days not so much. The last build was pretty powerful. I've only made one upgrade to my now 4 year old gaming rig.

My current gaming rig was purchased in 2012

16Gb RAM

GTX 670

Since then all I've upgraded is the GPU to a GTX 980 (Last year).

The plan is to get a new case, motherbaord, cpu, cpu cooler and ram either in december this year or january of next year.

I'm a compulsive non-upgrader... I get a PC the way I like it, and do anything to avoid needing to reinstall or have to fix/upgrade it.

Generally I can get 5 years out of a machine before it needs a full upgrade. A lump sum, but cheaper in the long run.

I'll admit to being a compulsive "clean-installer". As soon as my PC starts acting weird for whatever reason i nuke it all and start again.

Have all my stuff on a seperate partition and good backups, so it's not really and issue. 

Edited by smakme7757, 15 August 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#9 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:40 PM

When I'm disposable cash rich, fuck yeah I am. I really want to do a completely new build ATM, even though I've poured thousands into my current PC over the last year, and it's more than capable for the games I play, but I don't get a solid 60FPS on a few games. Games that I hardly ever play, if I play them at all anymore, but still, it bothers me. ATM on 3DMARK I score 6393 on Time Spy, which is in the top 19%, that's without any overclocking. 

If I was working in a well paying job I'd drop a good 10k + on a new rig, just for the sake of building/having it. 

Edit: This is the wishlist I have ATM. https://www.pccasege...sh_lists/601744 Totally overkill and unnecessary, but God Damn! it'd be awesome to own. Pretty sure I could keep a 60+ frame rate on that bad boy. 

Edited by disolusiond, 12 September 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#10 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

I upgrade sparingly.  Usually it's a whole new PC, and then after a few years, a new GPU.  Then a whole new PC a few years later.

My FPS/Dev box is a 2600K with dual R9280X's (upgrades).  It's still fine for what it does and like Stadl I'm loathe to get a new machine. Setting up a developer environment to be productive is a real pain and there's always multiple tools and scripts I forget to copy across or install.  This box used to power my triple screen sim racing rig, so it's still not too bad. Until a few months ago...

A few months ago I did purchase a new gaming rig for my sim racing.  I went all out and bought the best box at the time. Money be damned.  It'll last a few more years maybe.  It really depends on the state of VR at the time.  I feel an upgrade to the latest video card at the time might be as early as sometime next year - but that's just because of VR and the hopefully increasing resolution of them.

Edit: This is the wishlist I have ATM. https://www.pccasege...sh_lists/601744 Totally overkill and unnecessary, but God Damn! it'd be awesome to own. Pretty sure I could keep a 60+ frame rate on that bad boy.

Get rid of the Samsung 850 and get a 950 Pro.  Or better yet, wait a few months and get a 960 Pro. I've got a 950 Pro in my new box  and holy moly...!  Also needs more Titan X :)

Edited by kikz, 27 September 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#11 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

Not so much these days, back in the old days you'd need to upgrade to keep up with the latest software but I don;t fell that's been the case for years now.  I had to upgrade to a GTX970 a few months back as my GPU died.  Spewing about too as I was waiting on the new models to arrive,

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#12 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

Very happy that I managed a monitor and video card upgrade last week, without needing to change everything else.

The old 30" monitor died, and I wanted to take the chance to go dual 4K, but my old video card wouldn't have done it, and I was concerned a 5YO PC would not be up to a modern card. A Motherboard, CPU & memory replacement would have probably lead to a new PSU, SSD and case, and added over $2k to the price, so combined with my dislike of new machines, not nice.

Turned out the 5 year old PC was good for an upgraded video card only, so much nicer price tag, and some satisfaction that a 5 YO purchase still had some life in it.

i7 2600 with 16GB RAM, 8G RX480 is a bit unbalanced, but fine for development, photo editing and general office productivity - and Diablo 3 plays at 60FPS 4k, full detail, so I'm happy.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#13 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

i7 2600 with 16GB RAM, 8G RX480 is a bit unbalanced, but fine for development, photo editing and general office productivity - and Diablo 3 plays at 60FPS 4k, full detail, so I'm happy.

Good to know. I have a 2600K and 16GB ram in the my current dev/fps games box. Looking to updated monitors too (currently have only a single 24" 1080p), but still need to FPS, so needs to power 4K.

#14 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

my only hot tip is get faster ram for the i5 - it makes a lot of difference gaming, even though earlier reports suggested otherwise

2x8 gig @2133 has bumped my gaming qualities significantly

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#15 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

yes and no

for some time now there is a number of games i have been playing that benefited from upgrading the system but i was waiting till it was a decent value time to do it

some games benefited from the cpu\ram upgrade others the gpu

swapping from the big old stacker to the tj08-ew though was purely for the fun of it but then the case did last close to 10 years

kikz if your going 4k the only part that will be holding you back in most games is the gpu you kinda want a titan pascal for 4k 60fps

if your aiming for 1080p 144hz then the cpu is of more importance

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#16 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

I do it on a regular basis.  By regular I probably mean, consistent.

I've liked Intels HEDT platform for a long while and have been using it mostly since the X58 days. Skip a generation, then do a big upgrade to the next big platform. Currently on X99 and will probably stick with it until after Skylake-X (I think it's called).

Also get the best GPU on offer at the time and you can keep playing the latest games for far longer at max settings than you'd think possible. 2-3 years easy.

Lately I've been incrementally upgrading my PC. A PSU here, a case there or an AIO water loop, but that's more to do with getting bits and pieces of free kit from my PCTA article writing. Nice to have some perks ;) Otherwise I like doing massive expensive upgrades, then use it as is for 2-3 years type thing before repeating.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#17 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

I upgrade sparingly.  Usually it's a whole new PC, and then after a few years, a new GPU.  Then a whole new PC a few years later.

My FPS/Dev box is a 2600K with dual R9280X's (upgrades).  It's still fine for what it does and like Stadl I'm loathe to get a new machine. Setting up a developer environment to be productive is a real pain and there's always multiple tools and scripts I forget to copy across or install.  This box used to power my triple screen sim racing rig, so it's still not too bad. Until a few months ago...

A few months ago I did purchase a new gaming rig for my sim racing.  I went all out and bought the best box at the time. Money be damned.  It'll last a few more years maybe.  It really depends on the state of VR at the time.  I feel an upgrade to the latest video card at the time might be as early as sometime next year - but that's just because of VR and the hopefully increasing resolution of them.

Edit: This is the wishlist I have ATM. https://www.pccasege...sh_lists/601744 Totally overkill and unnecessary, but God Damn! it'd be awesome to own. Pretty sure I could keep a 60+ frame rate on that bad boy.

Get rid of the Samsung 850 and get a 950 Pro.  Or better yet, wait a few months and get a 960 Pro. I've got a 950 Pro in my new box  and holy moly...!  Also needs more Titan X :)

Dude, I'm not working ATM and am changing careers due to an injury, and I'm also building a house that I can only just afford. I'm not buying much of anything for the foreseeable future, especially a 15K+ rig. Maybe when Star Citizen comes out. 

#18 fliptopia

fliptopia

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Not compulsively but sometimes I find that one thing dying in the pc leads to me upgrading the nearly everything.

#19 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

just jumped mr14's hd5770 to a gtx750 (non-Ti), and upped his 8 gig of ram from 1600 to 2133 as well (9-11-10-28 1T), but still rocking the i3-2100

man, that keppler overclocks like a boss !  ram from 5000 > 6300 (woo hoo ! samsung vram is the gun ) and core is +120 but runs to over 1300 on max boost, all at default (locked) volts and under 60c

i am a compulsive upgrader but generations behind, and i cherry pick the parts and clock them at stock or under voltages in well cooled cases = win !  :)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#20 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

My umming and ahhing cost me last week. PC Case Gear had these bad boys https://www.msi.com/...l#hero-overview on clearance for $670 down from $950. I thought about it for a couple of days, decided that once I sold both of my R290s that it would only cost me maybe $200 and I'd about double my performance so I should go for it. Went back to buy one and they were sold out.   :(

Now these are on sale, https://www.pccasege...80-armor-oc-8gb, but the amount I'll be paying after I sell the two cards I have is a little high for me to get one. Sad face again. 

Not compulsively but sometimes I find that one thing dying in the pc leads to me upgrading the nearly everything.

This is exactly what happened on my last build. Started with a single GPU and ended up replacing everything but one SSD within eight months. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users