• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

Man I love to upgrade, even side grades just to play around.  My cpu/mb/ram and ssd (sig) have lasted years now but I have upgrade the gpu quite a bit on this system.  Like if I know that the next gen of gpu are coming, Ill sell what I have before they lose value.  Waiting to see what Zen is all about before I consider cpu upgrade.

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ 4ghz | PowerColor RX 56 (RX 64 Bios) @ 1600c/945mhz | EVGA RAM @ 2933mhz  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

I have an HD7*70 (not sure if its a 7770 or a 7970.....)

But I think it's time I upgraded to a GTX1060

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Recent weeks have involved some upgrades, downgrades and sidegrades.

Upgrade: Added a 3rd 4k screen

Downgrade: One of the drives in the 4x2TB RAID5 array died, all the drives are 5 years old, and the controller is about 12 years old. Decided to replace the 6TB array which was about 25% full with a 3TB single drive.

Sidegrade: Replaced 120GB SSD with 960GB SSD for more space - really doesn't offer performance

Each happened separately, I'm sick of unplugging all the cables at the back to get the case out from under the desk to do this sort of stuff...

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#24 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

Does putting a 128gb micro SD into one your phones count?

Coal is the future of our demise

#25 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,502 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

Edit: This is the wishlist I have ATM. https://www.pccasege...sh_lists/601744 Totally overkill and unnecessary, but God Damn! it'd be awesome to own. Pretty sure I could keep a 60+ frame rate on that bad boy.

Get rid of the Samsung 850 and get a 950 Pro.  Or better yet, wait a few months and get a 960 Pro. I've got a 950 Pro in my new box  and holy moly...!  Also needs more Titan X :)

Dude, I'm not working ATM and am changing careers due to an injury, and I'm also building a house that I can only just afford. I'm not buying much of anything for the foreseeable future, especially a 15K+ rig. Maybe when Star Citizen comes out. 

It's all good. It's a wishlist. It's supposed to be out of reach (at least IMO, or it'd be a shopping list).  Not many people can afford dual Titan X's and a 960 Pro or three. But hey, if you're wishing for the creme de la creme ... :)

Speaking of recent upgrades, my PSU in the FPSDEV box finally let go (dual R9 280s and 7 harddrives killed it methinks).  I recently got a new Intel 500 GB SSD to replace my main 120 GB Vertex 3 SSD as well as a new case (the old one, an Antec P180, had a broken earth wire which caused the pc to reset when bumped, and while I could have soldered it, the case was struggling to contain all my drivers, some floating around unattached to a drive bay), and a Corsair  HX 1200W PSU.

As this is the machine I make my living on I really couldn't afford to have much downtime, so I also bought EaseUS backup and restore to clone the 120GB on the 500 GB and then increase the partition. Worked a charm and only took a few hours (plus the 4-5 hours to transplant the guts from one case to another).  I now also use that software to take a C: nightly backup onto another HDD in that machine and a Weekly full backup onto the NAS.  Now I'm a bit more confident of not losing much time in the event of future failures.  Yes all my source code and documentation is in the cloud (bitbucket, jira, and confluence) but it's the environment setup that really is where time is lost.

Edited by kikz, 16 November 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#26 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

Check your local Gumtree and similar... locally there's been near a dozen ads recently of people getting rid of their nVidia 10xx cards.

There's the ones who got the 1080s and basked in their fortnight of glory and find themselves broke or just found they don't need it, then there's the ones who got the 1060 or 1070 and have since "upgraded".

#27 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

Last time I did a build ~2 years ago, I spent way over the top because I wanted to have a top of the line computer for once. I doubt I'll bother doing it again, been there done that etc. Barring component failure, it'll probably do me fine through till 2020. The graphics card crapped out just before the 1060 release, so I grabbed one of them, but I have to admit, I did some serious consideration of just staying on the GTX280 I pulled out of the cupboard. Other than having to lower the res of HOI4 a bit, running on the 280 didn't harm my game playing in the slightest. Hardware isn't moving nearly as fast these days as it was in the early 2000's, upgrading regularly often buys you surprisingly little.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#28 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

the best aspect of upgrading is better (or equal) capabilities for far less power

so less heat, and smaller electricity bills

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#29 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:31 PM

I'm living in a country that's really cold with really cheap power. Bring on the first gen hardware!
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#30 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:24 AM

the best aspect of upgrading is better (or equal) capabilities for far less power

'Cept it never work out that way, does it?  We end up driving the stuff harder, for the same heat and power, but greater performance.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#31 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

'Cept it never work out that way, does it?  We end up driving the stuff harder, for the same heat and power, but greater performance.

not so

the i5 2500k peaks at 77w for all four cores grunting on transcodes at 4.2ghz (even though its nominal rating is 95w - maybe that's 'cos i under-volt it); the dual core e8400 used to take 95w to do 3.6ghz transcoding on its two cores at under stock volts also

my hd7950 was close to 200w; the current gtx760 oc peaks at 150w with a fairly hefty clock speed base of 1155mhz, yet it toasts the hd for capability

and ssd uses minimal power compared to hdd - so i use it for my system and exes, but the old hdd for storage; my nas draws ~15w when serving, ~ 5 on idle

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#32 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

The Core i seems to have much better power management than the Core 2 - even though my Xeon has TDP of 130W, under idle or light load the entire system uses about 55-85 Watts.

The older high-end graphics cards, I've got 2 ATIs and they're both pretty power hungry.  But it would seem nVidia are doing a better job than AMD of keeping the power/heat down with current gen stuff.

So tempted today - picked up 2x4 Gig DDR3-1866 which will go to good use but also up for grabs is a decent LGA 1150 board and 3.4 GHz Xeon for $300.  Problem is I've got 3 i7/equivalent systems including the Macbook Pro as it is.

Seems my problem isn't so much upgrading as accumulating.

#33 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

Definitely only when needed.  I don't use my computer for gaming so it's not very common I'd need to upgrade, and it's rather powerful already so I can't see the need to upgrade any time soon either.

The only think I could imagine upgrading soon would be the Hard Drive.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#34 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

not so

the i5 2500k peaks at 77w for all four cores grunting on transcodes at 4.2ghz (even though its nominal rating is 95w - maybe that's 'cos i under-volt it); the dual core e8400 used to take 95w to do 3.6ghz transcoding on its two cores at under stock volts...

I said "we" - as in us enthusiasts, who can't leave enything alone. ;p But yeah, point taken.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#35 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

Bought Civ6 on the weekend. Something's busted (software) on my PC and it won't start - probably related to windows updates being borked for about a year now.

so.. the upgrade choice... re-install win7 and hope I can keep it going for a couple more years. or say what the hell, and buy anew CPU, Mobo & RAM and an windows 10 licence, knowing that then it won't need an upgrade for another 5 years.

The choice of $s vs the PITA of rebuilding twice.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#36 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

I'm a compulsive looker! Always checking out systems, never really having the money to spend :)

#37 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

Have you tried the technique of deleting the update cache dir after disabling the BITS service?

There's been some pretty horrendous items in updates e.g. that have stopped old software from being able to even install, then they fix it quietly on subsequent updates.  So it would seem that unless you just have a floor SP1 Win7 install it's important to have updates working, just for the fact you get fixes for the "fixes".

#38 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

I have tried that... update still just sat there for 2 hours with no progress.

Now there is a i7-6700 CPU, Z170 motherboard, 32GB of DDR4 and a 500G m.2 NVMe and a copy of win10 ready for transplanting when I get some time.

#39 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Now that I've had a think about it, I've upgraded my NAS more often than my PC in the past 10 years.

The main reason for this is that the earlier NAS's have limited support for large capacity drives, so I've needed to upgrade. For my PC, the last 2 CPUs I've had have never been a problem (currently running an i7-4770K). I've just replaced the GPU and SSDs every 3 years or so...
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#40 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

Now that I've had a think about it, I've upgraded my NAS more often than my PC in the past 10 years.

The main reason for this is that the earlier NAS's have limited support for large capacity drives, so I've needed to upgrade.

Use a regular PC and pop FreeNAS onto it.

ZFS can upgrade your storage pool in place and grow the volumes as you replace drives with bigger capacity ones

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users