• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

So I should have locked my RAM at their stock voltage to avoid them being bumped up passed recommended by the AUTO setting?

I havent done tests longer than an hour yet. Been busy.

So as it stands I need to thoroughly test each stick. Then each slot.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, because since the memory controller moved from the motherboard to the CPU, letting it auto-raise the voltage is bad.

Stock on modern CPU's is 1.35v. If it get above 1.5v you start to expect toasted memory controllers.

Even worse, if you put 1.5v RAM in the motherboard, it might use XMP and set itself to 1.5v. You'd need to knock it down to 1.35v manually.

Really, the ONLY caveat with overclocking these days is that memory controller on chip. Otherwise its all safe.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

So I should have locked my RAM at their stock voltage to avoid them being bumped up passed recommended by the AUTO setting?

I havent done tests longer than an hour yet. Been busy.

So as it stands I need to thoroughly test each stick. Then each slot.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, because since the memory controller moved from the motherboard to the CPU, letting it auto-raise the voltage is bad.

Stock on modern CPU's is 1.35v. If it get above 1.5v you start to expect toasted memory controllers.

Even worse, if you put 1.5v RAM in the motherboard, it might use XMP and set itself to 1.5v. You'd need to knock it down to 1.35v manually.

Really, the ONLY caveat with overclocking these days is that memory controller on chip. Otherwise its all safe.

I've reset my overclock as of now anyway.

Will head back later once its fixed and have another crack at it.

So after reading what you've said I should set my ram voltage to 1.35v? because 1.5v is too high?

I honestly don't know a great deal about any of this, I think all my voltages are currently set to default. 

So my ram is set at 1.5v as per the auto setting.

"From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!" 

#23 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

What CPU?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#24 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

I5 2500k.
"From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!" 

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

ooo sandybridge. They dont like over voltage at all.

Your ram voltage needs to be less than 0.5v away either side from your VTT or equivilent voltage.

You should probably be fine with 1.5v, I THINK sandybridge was a 1.5v controller anyway, so no big deal.

But yeah, if you pumped CPU voltage up at all, you've been running a dangerous gauntlet. Sandybridge CPU's didnt like volts as much as their friends did :P

Try another set of ram, its cheapest and easiest, and if that doesnt work, my money is on CPU. But anything like this is guesswork over the internet :)

#26 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Yup. I got my new ram in and reset everything to default. Runs dota2 like shit. Lost 40fps.
Ill run a few stress tests and try overclocking it again.

#27 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

Yup. I got my new ram in and reset everything to default. Runs dota2 like shit. Lost 40fps.
Ill run a few stress tests and try overclocking it again.

I'm the DOTA2 nut around here, and it shouldn't.

an old E6600 with 2GB of ram and a $40 GPU can run it on 'normal' quality without stutter..... Something's up mate.

Unless you're at 4k.

That chip shouldn't be a CPU bottleneck at stock speeds.

You're at 20FPS!?! lost 40FPS? are you playing with VSYNC off? because I'd recommend against that.

I guess you could have a 120\144hz monitor, in which case 40FPS loss is still well above 60hz.

Also, for the sake of performance, and click accuracy, disable AntiAliasing. Sharp edge on models in a MOBA is actually a good thing to help with click accuracy.

and set Shadows to HIGH not ULTRA, for a great performance jump with almost unnoticeable shadow changes

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 August 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#28 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

I had my fps uncapped, mainly to see if I could breach that 144 mark to upgrade my monitor.

Atm it fluxuates from 43-60fps where as before it was at 60fps and never skipping a beat when capped at 60fps.

Everything is set to ultra. Duly noted.

I've been looking at this http://www.techreact...ridge-v0-1beta/

Seeing as clearly my first overclock I missed a few crucial elements, what should I really be focusing on.

Seems like a good reference point.

My right is:

i5 2500k

gtx970

8gb 9-9-9-24 1.5v ram 1600mhz

520gbSSD

Once my FPS is all corrected we should have a game. I might be able to teach you a thing or two :D <------sarcasm

Just jumped on dota and demo'd a hero. Spawned about 50 axes and sitting at 120fps. fluctuates as they spam spawn though.

Edited by revert, 19 August 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#29 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

Do you have two monitors?

If you put windows performance monitor (one of the tabs in task manager) on the second monitor, you'll soon see if your overclock is the cause.

If your CPU is bottlenecking it, you'll see it pin at 100% while in game. Otherwise, something else is going on.

PERSONALLY I overclock like a madman, but thats my own system, and its an x99 LGS2011-3 system, so it can.

When its SOMEONE ELSES computer, my first step is usually to suggest "Over Optimising" their stock parts, then go from there.

First of all, lock all your voltages to their stock. It may take some googling, but you'll find each settings defaults. If your board can't do defaults, lock it at the smallest bump up you can do.

We wont be needing ANY extra voltage for this bit, but sometimes 'stock' becomes 'auto' and thats not OK.

Find your PCI-E link speed and whack it to somewhere between 101mhz and 105mhz. Dont try and go higher. I personally stop at 102mhz.

Open up your baseclock and set it 1mhz highter (this will be a decent 'bump' thanks to the decent multipliers). (+33mhz, +37mhz @ turbo, maybe risk +2mhz BCLK; but very soon we'll need to unlink your ram speed.)

Leave your ram stock, it'll already have a slight bump from the bclk (33mhz...)

Load into windows, open your drivers and max out the stock GPU overclock sliders. Its rare to find a GPU that wont take the full 'GPU driver overclock' just fine; buy maybe try with 50% of the sliders to start :P.

Then we go from there :)

Once thats stable and we do some in game testing, we can push part by part.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 20 August 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#30 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

Yep.

Aight I'll test that shortly.

ALL voltages? Are these determined by the motherboard?

My MB is a ga-z68xp-ud4 if that makes any difference.

Unlink my ram speed? 

Could you perhaps explain this a little for me.

#31 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

So currently everything is set to default through auto, I need to manually set it so it wont change at all?

http://imgur.com/Egxz3Vo  << flucuates from 40-70% depend on whats going on ingame.

http://imgur.com/a/ACD0V << Default Settings

Edited by revert, 21 August 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#32 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

So that's confirmed something for ya.

Your CPU overclock is NOT why you've lost frames per second. You still 30% of your CPU left to go while gaming.

Yep, set them all manually. If you can't be bothered finding them, the 'Auto' will be OK to 'copy' assuming you're at "Fail Safe Defaults".

So reset your BIOS, and set all the voltages to what it finds stock.

Then perform those tweaks I mentioned above, and re-try your game.

Something else has lost us FPS.

Unlinking your RAM means the ram doesn't overclock at the same rate as your CPU.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 22 August 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#33 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

I capped my fps and turned downed shadows and turned off AA. Still lose frames in teamfights. Drops to 54fps..i can feel it is less fluid.

How do I unlink my RAM?

Ill do those changes tonight. Tweak a little and run a few tests.

#34 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

We don't want to unlink anything yet.

There will be ram divider settings is all; its fairly simple.

Just keep the performance monitor up, if your CPU doesn't spike to 98~100% during said team fights, then its NOT the 'missing' CPU overclock limiting you. Its just not.

AA being off is (IMO) a nice difference; what do you think? Heroes having 'hard edges' is better for things like hooking and sun ray.

#35 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Okay.

I'll give it a crack later tonight.

Um.. I see the logic but I feel with hit boxes being a bit obscure from actual hero visuals it hasn't changed a lot for me in that aspect. I am actually looking to tweak my settings to try and get a more crisp tree outline so I can juke better. Those changes a while back threw me and Im yet to learn all the new paths. Take thst with a grain of salt 3 games isnt enough to make a decent opinion esp when I partied with my bro who is under 3k

#36 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Can't base a player on their MMR. My solo is actually sub 2k! (though my team is about double that....)

Though I have 10k hours on DOTA2 and 36k hours on DOTA1

Won a scholarship to games design course playing it a great many years back.

Those MMR systems really DO have holes in them. Need to go back to judging yourself "Arem pros" was a much more significant game name than "2k mmr average"

in a 2k mmr game I can just as easily pick riki and eat everyone, as equally as be expecting to find an enemy invoker with a refresher eating entire teams single handed.... you just never know.

It's the worst mmr.... and climbing out in 'solo' is a dice roll.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 23 August 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#37 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Im not judging anyone on their mmr.
Its a fine system albeit its flaws.
The pros arent 8k for nothing. In party we play againt 4.5k players and shit. They are just notably better.

Yeah. Dont need to judstify anything to me. I just play for fun.

#38 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

How's that FPS looking with the initial tweaks?

Are you finding 100% CPU spikes anywhere?

Also, played a harassment riki game last night.

My Ulti + Eul's scepter is great.

Most people don't know Eul's removes dust, so SB would charge, I'd ulti out of existance, they'd dust, I'd cyclone, and walk away.

Meanwhile the team is doing something useful. Usually hooking a carry and eating them (literally).

That sort of shit is why my team MMR is OK, and my solo is NOT. It takes a full 5 players with experience to know what riki playing harass allows them to do.

I should go back to clockwerk.....

#39 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Honestly, I haven't had much time and struggled to find my PCI-E Link speed in my bios settings.

I didn't get to have a real  crack.

I am trying to find it now but with no luck.

#40 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Find your PCI-E link speed and whack it to somewhere between 101mhz and 105mhz. Dont try and go higher. I personally stop at 102mhz.

Open up your baseclock and set it 1mhz highter (this will be a decent 'bump' thanks to the decent multipliers). (+33mhz, +37mhz @ turbo, maybe risk +2mhz BCLK; but very soon we'll need to unlink your ram speed.)

Leave your ram stock, it'll already have a slight bump from the bclk (33mhz...)

Load into windows, open your drivers and max out the stock GPU overclock sliders. Its rare to find a GPU that wont take the full 'GPU driver overclock' just fine; buy maybe try with 50% of the sliders to start :P.

Righto I think I found it.

I changed the BCLK/DMI/PEG CLOCK CONTROL(i assumed is my PCI-e link and base clock) from 1000 to 1010 which resulted in 101.00mhz < Currently shows 101.80 on CPU-z program.

"BCLK/DMI/PEG Frequency(0.1MHz)

Allows you to manually set the CPU base clock and DMI/PCIe bus frequency. The adjustable range is from 800 MHz to 2000 MHz. This item is configurable only if the BCLK/DMI/PEG Clock Control option is enabled.
Important: It" - quoted from motherboard manual.

So there is no separate pci-e bus setting?

Tad confused.

Also my 970 drivers don't have overclock sliders?
I used to with my old radeon card. Can't seem to find them on this card? maybe I'm retarded.

Edited by revert, 24 August 2016 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users