30 replies to this topic

#1 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

Not sure where to post...

I'm looking at getting a new power board with more points- like 10 or 12. Are HPM branded boards ok? Any other suggestions?

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,579 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Got an old hpm quite old, moved it from my room to tv set. Still working
Got a newer one for the nbn modem and laptop

Edited by Jeruselem, 16 August 2016 - 07:21 PM.

Cortana at your service

#3 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

Cheers. I'd not had troubles with them meself, but thought it wouldn't hurt to throw the question out there before I buy :)

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

HPM is OK.  What I hate in powerboards is that stupid so-called safety feature where you have to insert the plug at an angle of about 75 degrees which is just a great way to get bent pins.

What I like in powerboards is individually switchable and decent spacing between the outlets to allow for wall-warts and angled cords.
But nobody listens to that and finding one with both those things to say nothing of surge protected, good luck.

Arlec is also OK.  These days my UPS has built in surge-protect as well as an outlet for the phone so I use that.  Got a surge board for the TV, not sure on brand, it's sort of hard to see as it's covered in dust ATM and in a tight space as well.

I think the point is though, don't blow $100 on a surge board, a $40 one will likely be just as good.

#5 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

HPM is OK.  What I hate in powerboards is that stupid so-called safety feature where you have to insert the plug at an angle of about 75 degrees which is just a great way to get bent pins.

What I like in powerboards is individually switchable and decent spacing between the outlets to allow for wall-warts and angled cords.
But nobody listens to that and finding one with both those things to say nothing of surge protected, good luck.

Arlec is also OK.  These days my UPS has built in surge-protect as well as an outlet for the phone so I use that.  Got a surge board for the TV, not sure on brand, it's sort of hard to see as it's covered in dust ATM and in a tight space as well.

I think the point is though, don't blow $100 on a surge board, a $40 one will likely be just as good.

Thanks.

This one: https://www.bunnings...rboard_p4420141

has caught my eye so far

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:38 PM

Looks OK.  Should mention though it's obvious that overload protection isn't the same as surge protection.  Surge protection usually has a sacrificial arrestor that gets tripped in an extreme overload situation like lightning strike.  Overload protection is activated if the current draw exceeds 10 Amps, button on the unit resets it once you've corrected the situation.

#7 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Looks OK.  Should mention though it's obvious that overload protection isn't the same as surge protection.  Surge protection usually has a sacrificial arrestor that gets tripped in an extreme overload situation like lightning strike.  Overload protection is activated if the current draw exceeds 10 Amps, button on the unit resets it once you've corrected the situation.

Cool. Thanks!

#8 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

interesting old Dans Data article "Power Struggle" here

Originally published 2004 in Atomic: Maximum Power Computing

Last modified 15-Jan-2015.

Edited by @~thehung, 17 August 2016 - 01:48 AM.

no pung intended

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,919 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

I like any that do basic sine wave smoothing. Plenty of "Filtering" powerboards out there.

If you're feeling rich you get a THOR. They actually are great. If you're rich.

You pay for it.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

Good explanation of how MOVs do offer a level of protection:

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#11 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,710 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

Good explanation of how MOVs do offer a level of protection:

Dave Jone (EEVBlog) talks about MOV protection in Multimeters, they do a good job when implemented correctly.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#12 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I don't know that sine wave correction would be that important given that with a computer system everything is running off DC anyway.

With modern PWM type power supplies, even overvoltage protection becomes a bit less important since they're usually able to operate over a reasonably wide range.  Though of course I doubt they'd fare any better from a lightning strike or other notable surge event.

#13 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

The Dick Smith ones are all right.  Should get those  :-p

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

#14 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,710 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have a DSE one, I need a replacement... (but yeah, it cost me $120, feel so ripped off)

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,919 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

The Dick Smith ones are all right.  Should get those  :-p

Do KOGAN still do them?

They have sine wave filtering, MOV, and a few other little nifties that are probably unneeded, but great to have considering the cheap prices.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,579 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

Kogan sell these

https://www.kogan.co...814usb-jackson/

No idea what Jackson powerboards are like

Cortana at your service

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,919 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

Jackson are quite the respected name actually. I'd go it.

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

FWIW, Masters (curse their non-sausage-sizzle-having-souls) have the metal-cased Jackson power strips rebadged with their in-house brand, and I think a bit cheaper.
四時半を待っています!

#19 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,710 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

FWIW, Masters (curse their non-sausage-sizzle-having-souls) have the metal-cased Jackson power strips rebadged with their in-house brand, and I think a bit cheaper.

That's weird, I helped several times at Master's BBQ for a community group. several times during the year they were able to BBQ at Bunnings and Masters.

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

Maybe it's just the Masters near me being un-Australian heathens then. Good to know!
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users