• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

Maybe it's just the Masters near me being un-Australian heathens then. Good to know!

Tingalpa bbq.

Often.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,687 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

ha

It was the Tingalpa one that I went to last.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#23 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Maybe it's just the Masters near me being un-Australian heathens then. Good to know!

Defo not getting my business.

Oh, to add to the conversation though, I'd go Jackson every time I can afford to.  Arlec for a quick fix, those times where you just need something to get you through a party.

HPM is a brand I perceive as being better quality than Arlec. Usually a better quality feel to them. I have no data to back that up though.

I suppose anything you buy from a major reseller is going to at least meet Australian standards and do what it is supposed to do.

The only boards I recall throwing out were cheap and nasty HPMs that cost $5 for 2 boards and an Arlec, all just stopped working on 1 or more sockets. 

Spend more, get more quality.  If you don't need quality, spend less.

Reality is just an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol.

WoT quote: "DishD (5:45:44 PM) ur a bad man Opy, funny as fuk but very Bad!"

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

#24 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,687 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

I've bought several 8 or 10-way boards (surge protection, switched outlets etc) from Catch of the Day, and they are not worth the money.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#25 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

I've bought several 8 or 10-way boards (surge protection, switched outlets etc) from Catch of the Day, and they are not worth the money.

How do you mean?

#26 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,687 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

cheap plastic construction, on some outlets the switches stopped working, rendering the point useless, the lighted switches are bright enough to light up my whole room.

The USB power ports stopped working after a few months, I think one may have killed two chromecasts.

#27 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

cheap plastic construction, on some outlets the switches stopped working, rendering the point useless, the lighted switches are bright enough to light up my whole room.

The USB power ports stopped working after a few months, I think one may have killed two chromecasts.

Well, I didn't get one with separate switches, or USB ports- just a HPM very similar to the one I linked earlier. It's a bit of a mission to install it (doing a couple of things at once) so I guess I'll just see how it goes :)

#28 CelleGuy

CelleGuy

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:00 AM

Hi...as per my knowledge overload protection isn't the same as surge protection.  Surge protection usually has a sacrificial arrestor that gets tripped in an extreme overload situation like lightning strike.  Overload protection is activated if the current draw exceeds 10 Amps, button on the unit resets it once you've corrected the situation.

#29 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,508 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

WTF - that's an exact copy/paste from what I posted on August 16.

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

WTF - that's an exact copy/paste from what I posted on August 16.

And I already reported it :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#31 westom

westom

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi...as per my knowledge overload protection isn't the same as surge protection.  Surge protection usually has a sacrificial arrestor that gets tripped in an extreme overload situation like lightning strike.  Overload protection is activated if the current draw exceeds 10 Amps, button on the unit resets it once you've corrected the situation.

Any protector that 'sacrifices' itself is near zero protection.  But a $3 power strip with ten cent protector parts can sell for $25 or $90 by failing - doing no protection.  A surge too tiny to overwhelm internal appliance protection also destroys a near zero joule protector. Then urban myths create by wild speculation.  "My protector sacrificed itself to save my ..."    The myth exists when eyes glaze over with every number.

Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules.  Surges that are hundreds of joules are routinely converted into rock stable, low DC voltages to safely power semiconductors.  But surges that tiny also destroy near zero joules plug-in protectors.  Undersizing gets the naive to recommend near zero joule and obscenely profitable protectors.

Protectors do nothing for overloads, blackouts, frequency variation, power factor, brownouts or other anomalies. All not destructive to an appliance.  So why would anyone spend so much money for a sacrificial protector? Urban myths can promote almost anything to consumers who don't always demand spec numbers.

Edited by westom, 07 October 2016 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users