• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hi guys im in need of a solution for switching between 2 Ethernet cables with the ability to switch 2 in 2 out basically i need to be able to disconnect either at any time with the press of a button. Its for switching between 3G internet and satellite internet and to have different firewall setups on each line. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? 

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

You can do this in the Windows "view network connections" - right click on in the connection and disable/enable it.

network-connection-status-for-network-ad

Edited by Jeruselem, 24 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

Cortana at your service

#3 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, That wont work for what i need to do. Its going on a network with about 10 other devices and PC's and i need to firewall each connection with different permissions and have the ability to have one or the other connected at the push of a button. Going on a fishing boat and the skippers are not that smart so one button is what i need to keep it to. 

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Only real on/off switch for LAN cables is to pull them out or connect them, they are designed to run 24/7.

Cortana at your service

#5 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,314 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Something like https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B004Y34VQS

or

https://www.amazon.c...M/dp/B00DRG1SLO

Otherwise all I can think of is a dual WAN router which may allow different firewall rules on each WAN connection.

Going on a fishing boat

This is going to be a major issue for equipment longevity given the highly corrosive environment.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

or

Otherwise all I can think of is a dual WAN router which may allow different firewall rules on each WAN connection.

Going on a fishing boat

This is going to be a major issue for equipment longevity given the highly corrosive environment.

Given connectors are really "gold plated" - the copper in sea environment goes bad pretty quick if exposed to salt water.

Cortana at your service

#7 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

or

Going on a fishing boat

Yeah i know the corrosion issues all too well, this is my 3rd year in the industry. The network splitters are what im looking at but they are only 2 in 1 out really need 2 in 2 out. I can draw up a map of what i need to do and put a picture up later. Lets just say i cant do set ip's and the devices see each other as terminals and try to connect to the wrong spots, as such i need to keep each connection apart so 1 or the other connected to the network at one time, So that i can set different firewall rules for each connection. I may end up having to build them myself if i cant find a ready solution.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

You talking things like this?

http://www.ebay.com....W-/301195658865

s-l1600.jpg

Otherwise there is a LOT more out there.

Have a look on ebay for "Manual Ethernet Switch"

http://www.ebay.com....switch&_sacat=0

Hope this helps!!!!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 25 August 2016 - 11:19 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Decided to make my own, When switch pressed in 1 set of ports work and when switch not pressed other set works. 

Dt5jdUf.jpgdojAMDv.jpg

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Would you be able to explain in more detail why a software solution isn't possible? with USB NIC's or cards, how is this 'better'?

Not being cynical, I'm just wondering what use case this is the better option for?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#11 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

So The way this is working is, Theres 2 terminals on the network the satellite phone terminal and the 3G internet terminal, Now as both are running on the one network the satphone interface program on the PC in use picks up the 3g modem instead of the Satphone terminal and so you cant use the satphone and 3g at the same time as they just get confused where to connect. There is also a VOIP handset on the network which plugs into the satphone terminal and now this also gets confused as to where to connect.

The next issue is we have TPLINK routers which we are using to set firewall rules as to what they can and cant use on the internet but we want to be able to set different rules per device and dont want to do this on a ip basis or mac address as we are after reliability and power surges and such are very common on the boats which means that at any given time the power can drop out and we have had instances where this causes ip conflicts. (not very good when a prawn trawler is 200nm away from port with no other form of communication) 

There is also up to 5 PC's on the network and then there is also our NMEA 0183 to UDP converters aswell as the satellite phone and 3G modem. Which means on most things it is quite hard to keep valid ip's as some dont support set ip adresses. The manufactureres of the equiptment know of the issues but are not interested in fixing them and as such we try to come up with a most reliable solution to prevent as much as possible down time as possible.

I will find the network map and upload it to show, Someone else may have a better way of doing it, but from experience a software fix has never worked for us, or the other companies which are trying to solve this issue.

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

Im not in your field, so I wont pretend I know what yoru job demands (I hate when people tell you 'youre wrong' and havent done it first hand).

However, with 0 experience (I'm a network engineer, but Ive never had to rely on it for marine comms).

Your first issue should be able to be solved by making sure the METRICS for the connections are correct.

The second issue should be EASILY avoided using Static IP's. Just set the critical stuff 'high', like 192.168.1.199. If the single boat has 199 devices on board using DHCP, there's probably a party going on :P

the third not accepting fixed IPs is a pain, but you can map Static IP's OUTSIDE the DHCP range.

So your converters will get a 'dynamic' IP each time, with little to no risk of conflicting with the devices that DO allow static.

For example:

DHCP 192.168.1.100~192.168.1.150

Static PC : 192.168.1.151

Static VOIP phone: 192.168.1.152

and so on.

Just something to mull over, but its an interesting use case that's for sure.

My father is a boat builder by trade, but all the ones he manages at most use a satelite phone, and a digital radio (with backup analogue radio). There's no fear with IPs. lol.

#13 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Bit of a image to show what is going on in the network. 

I have to make seperate firewall rules for the satphone and the 3g modem for when they are acessing the internet as satellite internet is not cheap ($700 1GB).

Im no network engineer just learning as i go, So going into deep network configuring is beyond me at this point thats why i was looking to a mechanical system. Satphone works fine when no 3g modem present and 3g works fine when no satphone present. 

eiYr3B0.jpg

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

Makes some sense, but what I said above still actually applies to what you've explained.

Its probably worth finding a managed services provider, even if its only once, and having them come on site and show you how to simplify your system.

Your method will work, but also relies on human error being controlled, and you know what they say "they'll just make a better idiot"

I can understand wanting to physically disconnect satelite. But as for the rest of it, an hour or two with a network professional should have you understanding how that works :)

Hell, when I'm not at work I'll help however I can for free, for fun.

Its a field ive considered getting into, but here in QLD,  since my father was a boat builder in his younger years.

#15 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Just a word of caution, everything is going through that one switch - have an identical backup switch as well switches are fragile when a UPS died and took out the switch connected to it,

Cortana at your service

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

If you were able to splash out for something a bit more fancy than a TP-Link NAT box (maybe a used Cisco 800 Series), you would be opened up to the option of raising/lowering network interfaces in software. Though you would need to find somebody willing+able to configure it for you.

So then you'd have a shortcut on a computer that you double-click to "toggle to 3G"/"toggle to SAT" or whatever.

BUT THIS...

Dt5jdUfs.jpgdojAMDvs.jpg

I LOVE THIS!!!

Edited by SquallStrife, 01 September 2016 - 10:54 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

If you were able to splash out for something a bit more fancy than a TP-Link NAT box, you would be opened up to the option of raising/lowering network interfaces in software.

So then you'd have a shortcut on a computer that you double-click to "toggle to 3G"/"toggle to SAT" or whatever.

BUT THIS...

Dt5jdUfs.jpgdojAMDvs.jpg

I LOVE THIS!!!

Of course you do :P

#18 joemeow

joemeow

Initiate

• Quark
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:41 PM

or

Going on a fishing boat

Just need to flash bios

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

or

Going on a fishing boat

Just need to flash bios

Bot \ Spammer.

How would this help? What BIOS? Are you a knobjockey?

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

Just need to flash bios

Oh shit. All this time we've been wasting effort on anti-fouling and cathodic protection, when ALL WE NEEDED TO DO WAS FLASH BIOS.

You've just single-handedly saved all maritime industries millions of dollars. Well done.

Edited by SquallStrife, 28 September 2016 - 10:50 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users